Author Topic: Exhibit of photos of Manchester and Salford, 1960s-80s  (Read 1238 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Exhibit of photos of Manchester and Salford, 1960s-80s
« on: June 11, 2017, 02:24:35 PM »
Just saw this on the BBC and thought it might be of interest to some of our UK folks. Some of the examples shown in the story are rather good, I think - I'd like to see the whole exhibition, but that isn't going to happen, I'm afraid.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-40003514
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Exhibit of photos of Manchester and Salford, 1960s-80s
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 11:52:05 PM »
Thanks for posting this.

I was born in 1961, in Stockport, just 6 miles south of Manchester and this exactly how I remember it from my childhood.  Sadly, I didn't own a camera of my own until 1973/4 and even though I has a load of negs / slides taken in the mid-seventies and more recently, these vanished when my ex and I went our separate ways.  It was far from glamorous in the NW of England at that time but none of us had anything much by way of valued possessions - so it was a pretty level playing field.

We were lucky as both my parents had jobs and worked hard. I never wanted for anything but, if I'm honest, I knew very little about what was out there that was to be had by those who had luxuries in life.  My interest in photography - inherited from my dad and reading the school's copies of Nat Geo - was the origins of my ongoing interest in photography.  I'm sure I'm not alone as, these scenes were probably emblematic of most of working-class Britain.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

FiatluX

• Cookbook chef
    • The Caffenol Cookbook
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 12:35:50 AM »
That 7th photo in the link.. Wow, that´s fantastic. Iconic!

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 07:47:53 PM »
Thanks for the link that was  enjoyable.
 Like Paul that kind of takes me back to the mid to late 60s when growing up in Portsmouth which was heavily bombed also so there was always big expanses of areas to play in and we could use our imagination to it's fullest.

Klaus

• Using 35 and 120, currently
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 08:20:37 PM »
Thanks for the link.
Very interesting photographs - wish I could find the time to see the exhibition in Manchester.
There is perhaps a lesson here: maybe we (photographers) should pay a bit more attention to our own local environment. So much re-development is going on these days and very few pictures are taken of the old buildings and their environment, let alone people that may be connected to what's happening. And with digital at our fingertips there is no excuse to capture the old-fashioned neighbourhoods before they are bulldozed for the next apartment block (many of which lack architectural imagination).