Author Topic: riverside fun  (Read 2907 times)

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
riverside fun
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:05:06 PM »
About 2 weeks ago, I walked along a brige over the river Neckar in Mannheim shortly before sundown, not having a camera with me, and a scenery in storng backlight. I decided to come back with a camera to capture the strange but  beautiful scenario.

A couple of days later I brought my new favorite slr, the very first AF, a Mnolta 7000, equipped with a 2. generation 35-105 zoom lens. After all not the worst choice for this purpose. I have some expired (10 years or so) fast bw films that need to be used and choosed a Neopan 400, exposed at EI 200, developed as 400. And to make things more complicated, I decided to develop the film in a recently "developed" homemade developer with phenidone/vit-c, similar to Xtol 1+1 but with much less suffite like in 1+3 Xtol (hopefully not worth a flower foul).

The scenery is somehow strange, mostly young people hangig out by the River, enjoying the early summer evening, barbecueing, drinking, having fun, with an ugly "ironman" dominating the scene. Mannheim has a lot of industry at the river Neckar and Rhine, which come together not far away from this this place and has a quite big inland harbour. You can see some buildings in the background, i.e. the crooked building aof a huge cacao trade centre.

Let's start with an overview from the bridge.

Neckarwiese Mannheim
by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr

stepping down

Neckarwiese Mannheim

approach

Neckarwiese Mannheim

the ironman

Neckarwiese Mannheim

cacao plant, barbecue and 2(?) ironmen, my favorite of the series.

Neckarwiese Mannheim by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr

dancing

Neckarwiese Mannheim

and playing frisbee

Neckarwiese Mannheim

after sundown

Neckarwiese Mannheim
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:55:13 PM by imagesfrugales »

cs1

• Self-Coat
Re: riverside fun
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 06:37:19 AM »
Nice documentary, well done! I like the depth of the images and the exposure is very good. Thanks for sharing!

GrainTrain

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 04:38:48 PM »
This was a very enjoyable read! Very well done, thanks for posting this here!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 06:21:30 PM »
Great essay Reinhold, I like the lighting.  "Ironman" is awesome, it has such a powerful presence in the photos!

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 11:10:44 PM »
Thank you for the nice comments.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 06:20:30 AM »
Reinhold, well done. There is such a festive atmosphere there. I would expect there to be a concert or some event. I guess we have a similar phenomenon here in San Diego. The beaches are quite crowded in the summer evenings. I'm with Bryan, appreciating the vigilant presence of the ironman. The contrast of scale between 'him' and the people milling about his feet is very interesting. Thanks for sharing these.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 11:15:23 AM »
Beautiful set!