Author Topic: Kodachrome Magazine  (Read 1572 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Kodachrome Magazine
« on: June 02, 2017, 07:19:45 PM »
I just ordered a copy but I think it's only available in the U.S. right now.  $20 plus about $8 shipping. 

Introducing our brand new journal for anyone who loves art, film and analog culture. Conceived by Kodak, but about so much more than Kodak – be it writing, sculpture, music, graphics, or all manner of delights in between. Each issue, we bring you stories and conversations from around the globe that showcase our shared fascination with creation, craft and inspiration. Some will be names you know and others will be names you’ll want to get to know better.

Issue 01, a limited edition run created in winter 2017, is 76 pages of illuminating features, photography and illustration including:

- Chloë Sevigny on film, felines, shooting fairytales and taking the director’s chair
   - Isaac Julien on the virtue of film for inspiring, making and preserving art
   - Tad Carpenter on the power of the pencil
   - Max McSimov on the beautiful truth behind folk songs – with the help of his Super 8
   - Print is Dead is Dead: why independent magazine culture is booming
   - The Hepworths: one of Europe’s most iconic art family dynasties laid bare
   - Lost in Color: why the light, bright world of yellow is a lot murkier than it seems
   - Music to Your Eyes: how gig posters bring out a designer’s most creative side

http://store.kodak.com/store/kodak/en_US/pd/productID.5114031100/Kodachrome-Magazine-Issue1-2017

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
Re: Kodachrome Magazine
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »
Interesting. I've always liked the yellow, vintage-like look of Kodak items. Before shelling out $20 on it, I'll wait for your review instead  ;D
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »
I read about this magazine maybe two minutes before I read your post, Bryan. The first thought that came to my mind was "why don't the bring back Kodachrome first before naming a magazine after it"... ;)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:02:51 PM »
I read about this magazine maybe two minutes before I read your post, Bryan. The first thought that came to my mind was "why don't the bring back Kodachrome first before naming a magazine after it"... ;)

Kodachrome is back, in the form of a magazine, case closed.  ;D

Unfortunately Kodachrome film is not coming back. 

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »

I thought the same. However, from a marketing perspective (I think), the name is well established so people who grew up shooting film/professionals look forward to it, however, they still need to reach out to the younger crowd. It definitely has a hipster appeal to it, and I feel that it might be a rebranding effort before launching, eventually, a new product with the same name. Although I doubt it, unless they make it in E-6 process which I'm not sure if will affect the end result of the image compared to "old" Kodachrome.
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 10:08:20 PM »
Somehow I think Kodachrome is a better sounding name than what they had chosen for their previous magazine venture in the early 20th century... I don't think Kodakery would have done as good...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
It is a little odd that they missed the marketing opportunity of calling it Ektachrome. But that doesn't roll off the tongue as well as Kodachrome, nor does it have the Paul Simon brand backing that even many young people are aware of.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 11:40:19 PM »
Well, they sold out pretty quickly. If anyone happened to get two and wants to sell one, let me know.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 04:07:24 PM »
My magazine arrived last week.  I've only had time to read the first article but it seem like a nice magazine so far.  Coming from Kodak I suspect it's going to be a lot of articles promoting their products.