Author Topic: Found film: Ilford PanF120 50asa, how to develop?  (Read 1091 times)

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Found film: Ilford PanF120 50asa, how to develop?
« on: June 02, 2017, 06:48:16 PM »
A good friend just bought me a Kodak Brownie Cresta II camera, I opened it up to find the film inside
First thoughts are Rodial 1:100 stand develop but I have no idea on age or condition etc
Camera has a "Serviced by Kodak Limited 1966 London" sticker inside

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Re: Found film: Ilford PanF120 50asa, how to develop?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 06:49:45 PM »
IMG_7618 by Stuart Burrows, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 07:22:54 PM »
I usually do a Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand when I find film like that.  It's hard to go wrong with Rodinal.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 07:36:26 PM »
I have used Caffenol, the Delta recipe for 8 minutes and the solution at 70F.. a bit on the warm side to work.

Not knowing how the film was stored is the big question...but I would give it a go.

Beck

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 08:59:33 PM »
I've never used caffenol but do have some Rodinol, how long should it be left to stand for?

I suspect it hasn't been stored well, my friend is not a camera person but she knows I have lots of old cameras and wanted to get one that didn't look like the Canon's I usually use, she found it in a box in a charity shop

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 09:04:46 PM »
I've never used caffenol but do have some Rodinol, how long should it be left to stand for?

I suspect it hasn't been stored well, my friend is not a camera person but she knows I have lots of old cameras and wanted to get one that didn't look like the Canon's I usually use, she found it in a box in a charity shop

A one hour stand should be good.  Please share if you get anything.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »

A one hour stand should be good.  Please share if you get anything.

Of course, I'm hoping for some vintage holiday snaps

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 09:20:52 PM »
Good luck, but don't expect too much. Pan F is known to have poor latent image retention - I've read of people losing roughly a stop of exposure having waited a month between shooting and developing (maybe apocryphal, maybe internet nonsense, but Ilford themselves recommend developing within three months: https://www.ilfordphoto.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/1900/product_id/700/ ).
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Ricardo Miranda

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »
Stuart,
Have you used 120 before?
I'm asking because that roll isn't even tighten, nor it seems the seal has been closed properly. Always tighten the roll and close the seal (lick it or in case of Foma films, use the peel off sticker).
So, expect light leaks from it.
I also wouldn't expect much from it as the above stated poor latent image keeping.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »
Stuart,
Have you used 120 before?
I'm asking because that roll isn't even tighten, nor it seems the seal has been closed properly. Always tighten the roll and close the seal (lick it or in case of Foma films, use the peel off sticker).
So, expect light leaks from it.
I also wouldn't expect much from it as the above stated poor latent image keeping.

Yes, many times

Film was found inside a camera, already wound up. It's currently in the "to be developed" tub in the film fridge :)