Author Topic: Fuji Superia News  (Read 2080 times)

Faintandfuzzy

Fuji Superia News
« on: May 19, 2017, 07:26:48 PM »
It appear a bulk of the Superia line will be cut.  We'll have the 400 neg in 36....but the 800 and 1600 Superia, and I presume the Natura brand in Japan, will be cut. 

https://www.zorkiphoto.co.uk/2017/05/superia-fujifilm-200-discontinued-film-photography/

cs1

• Self-Coat
Re: Fuji Superia News
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »
That's bad news. I love the Superia 200. Looks like it'll be the first to go.

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
I think I never used it, but it is sad to see one more passing away  :'( (well, not just one as per Fujifilm UK)
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »
I've sadly come to a point where I keep thinking that if it's bad news, it's from Fuji...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:38:08 PM »
The X-tra 400 in 24 exposure rolls is the only one I usually see in drug stores around here.  Usually they have it in a 4 pack.  I wonder if the drug stores will replace it with something else or just stop carrying film altogether.  I like that I can pick it up when I'm in a pinch plus I do like the look of it. 

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:34:20 PM »
Whenever I am in Tokyo, I love grabbing the inexpensive Xtra 400 in 36 rolls.  Great for street work I convert to b&w and holds up well with a 1 stop push and rating at 1600.  And I love Natura 1600.  I get most of it processed there to avoid travel issues.  At least the 400 is staying for now.  I just find it so frustrating!!!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:08:11 PM »
I just find it so frustrating!!!
Somehow, I've come to the point where I don't even get that emotion when it comes to stuff like that....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:22:49 PM »
I do like superia, the colours seem to suit my subjects/lenses/shooting style

I'm not concerned about film availability, it may one day become totally niche but I can still get brand new fresh stuff so I will worry about it when I can't

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 01:41:07 AM »
Honestly, Superia is among my least favorite CN emulsions, but like MacArron, I mourn the loss of yet another film  :'( Really, I'm just counting down the days to when Kodak stops producing Tri-X and Gold  :'( :'( :'(

Klaus

• Using 35 and 120, currently
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »
I just find it so frustrating!!!
Somehow, I've come to the point where I don't even get that emotion when it comes to stuff like that....

Was just thinking to myself, hopefully there'll still be film when I retire, no that many years now, or before I *expire*. And there'll be plenty of old stock still.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »
too bad about a nice film, as mentioned the 200 is very likable. but if the 400 will be left as vacation savers out in the odd store here and there it'd be great.

maybe kodak can get some market shares from this? I don't see much gold rolls these days :)

a theory that I read elsewhere is that the film is pushed out from beneath by films like fujifilm c200 and kodak colorplus (ie cheaper stock)
/jonas

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 02:17:53 PM »
Well, for now it can be found in Amazon for like $10 for a 4-pack of 24 exp. I might stock up on them... Slowly. My girlfriend's brother just came back from college and gave me his compact fridge so I have to fill it up with something other than diet coke and coors light.
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »
I've long contended that Fuji is trying to kill off its entire film division to focus on Instax and digital. It's a shame to see more emulsions go, but this really has no effect on me, as I don't use Fuji color print film any more. I've got a few 4-packs of the 200 24exp I grabbed when Walmart was closing them out, but that's it. I suppose I'll shoot them at some point, or trade them off for something else.

I do wonder what this means for the Agfa-branded Vista Plus films, which are made by Fuji. I have a strange feeling that the C200 and Superia 400 are the basis for the Agfa films.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 04:26:11 PM »
Production stop of Neopan 1600 and FP100c, extreme price increase of Acros 100, they all were something very special and these were the reasons that made me turn my back on Fuji.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »

I do wonder what this means for the Agfa-branded Vista Plus films, which are made by Fuji. I have a strange feeling that the C200 and Superia 400 are the basis for the Agfa films.

Both the AGFA and the Tudor XLX 200 are in fact fuji C200, or at least all markings on the film are the same.
I like it for general snapshots, exposed +1 the colors are superb. If you are UK based, you can´t beat this  ;D

http://www.poundland.co.uk/agfa-vista-plus-camera-film-200-24
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 08:50:40 AM »
anyone tried shooting it like this? http://leannevicephotography.com/blog/shoot-fuji-superia-400-xtra-film-tutorial/

I kind of like reading this bit:
This stock reminds me a bit of Kodak Ektar 100 with its saturation and punchiness, but you don’t need to be as careful with the exposure. Ektar, when overexposed, makes fair skin turn VERY red and you have to be careful to shoot it at box speed. Fuji Superia 400 Xtra actually does quite well with overexposure
/jonas

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 10:50:29 AM »
If you want latitude go for the Kodak Portra 400. You can shoot it at ISO 100 to 800 without pushing. It's the only C41 film that I buy new these days. I do not buy new film from Fuji anymore, only expired ones if they happen to be part of a sales lot. The killing off of the FP100c was the final straw.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/