Author Topic: Formula One with a Graflex  (Read 3362 times)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
Formula One with a Graflex
« on: May 17, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »
I love the first shot of the photographer with his Graflex in a sea of white size-of-my-arm Canon lenses. And of course the shots taken with the Graflex are great, too :)

http://www.boredpanda.com/photographer-shoots-f1-old-graflex-camera-joshua-paul/?page_numb=1
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

gsgary

• Self-Coat
Re: Formula One with a Graflex
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 04:53:36 PM »
Thank's for sharing

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:01:32 PM »
It mentions that he can only take "20 pictures in total". So does that imply he only brings 20 sheets, or is there a roll film configuration that does 20 shots? The grain looks extreme for LF, so I'm also guessing he is shooting Tri-x pushed to 1600 or 3200 to get fast shutter speeds with small apertures (or maybe just cropping). The photos look great though. I doubt there is an F1 digital pic that I would want hanging on my wall, but these are really nice.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
he probably uses two grafmatic backs. That could explain the 20 picture maximum.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:23:06 PM »
They're really beautiful. They keep the same style with that kind of tennis balls grainy look and the very limited depth of field, slow speed... Great work!

Thanks for sharing.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the twenty.  Grafmatics usually take 6, though there might be other types.  Eitherway, his reflex is some twenty years older than mine, and mine is a little smaller at 6x9, but it's perfectly doable.  Only problem is the lack of F1 cars around here.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 01:12:07 AM »
Very cool! Almost makes me like F1 racing ;D nah...

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 02:12:14 AM »
It mentions that he can only take "20 pictures in total". So does that imply he only brings 20 sheets, or is there a roll film configuration that does 20 shots? The grain looks extreme for LF, so I'm also guessing he is shooting Tri-x pushed to 1600 or 3200 to get fast shutter speeds with small apertures (or maybe just cropping). The photos look great though. I doubt there is an F1 digital pic that I would want hanging on my wall, but these are really nice.

They also say it is a view camera, when it is an SLR, so who knows. Curious that the lens seems to be mounted behind the lens board.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 08:59:04 AM »
The lens is on a recessed board, so it's probably the shortest focal length for the camera.  The old SLRs were just that, with two view screens.  The rear screen is probably most used for macro work using the bellows extension.  All in all, not a bad multi purpose design.  Mind you, mine weighs 2.5 kg, while his will be a good bit more.

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 03:30:16 PM »
Wow....simply incredible results.

collodion

• Aerostigmat
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »
Hmmmm,

Looks like an early 4x5 RB Auto Graflex, not sure on the lens though.

Considering he looks like he has the camera at infinity or close to it in the pic, which has to be close to the minimum FL for that camera, right around 8".
The lens looks like a Pinkham and Smith Synthetic, or something similar with the aperture in front of the lens. His images also look Pictorial in nature so my vote is for the Pinkham.

Ya gotta love someone willing to go out in public with one of these beasts nowadays.

Ill try and dig mine out and see if Im close.

Cheers
Jonathan
We are all just one big solar flare away from being on the cutting edge of technology....LONG LIVE FILM!!

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 09:09:06 AM »
Now, that´s cool!
Thank´s for sharing  ;D
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 01:40:09 PM »
Amazing!

Thanks for sharing :-)

Cheers

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »
Nice!

nachtiris

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 08:21:47 PM »
Great photos! F1 epic again!

collodion

• Aerostigmat
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 10:34:45 PM »
OK....here we go,  third try.

Sorry for the horrible Low-Rez image but apparently 200k is the max :-(
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:36:50 PM by collodion »
We are all just one big solar flare away from being on the cutting edge of technology....LONG LIVE FILM!!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 10:54:48 PM »
Yep, 200K is the max. But I find an 800x600 image with suitable compression to reach a bit under 200k is just fine.
I use imagemagick and a batch script to get my images to the optimal size for the forum
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

collodion

• Aerostigmat
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 08:17:56 PM »
Thanks!!

I'll keep that in mind on the next one.

Cheers

mhcfires

• 35mm
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 12:44:17 AM »
It looks like a 4x5 Auto Graflex, it is so heavy. If he's using a bag-mag film holder he can carry twelve sheets in the magazine. That camera is a beast, mine needs a new shutter curtain, I have it, just need to get the time and ambition to put it in. My 3x4 RB Super-D is so much lighter that I use it more.

collodion

• Aerostigmat
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 05:43:55 PM »
Absolutely agree with that, The 4x5 version is just too big to really be practical. I have a 3x4 version of the Auto and its much easier to use as is the 3x4 Super D. Hope you get your shutter fixed as they are worth using.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 10:42:53 AM »
Yep, 200K is the max. But I find an 800x600 image with suitable compression to reach a bit under 200k is just fine.
I use imagemagick and a batch script to get my images to the optimal size for the forum

I kind of wish that the board would have a resizing plugin for large images.

I'm less and less on the computer and trying to transfer my photo sharing to and via the phone where I do most of my surfing.
Not being able to upload images here easily is a bit of a pita  :-\
/jonas