Author Topic: Impossible Polaroid?  (Read 5838 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
Impossible Polaroid?
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:52:17 PM »
So the largest shareholder in The Impossible Project has bought up the remains of Polaroid.
https://petapixel.com/2017/05/12/polaroid-acquired-impossible-projects-largest-shareholder/

Curious to see what happens here. Would Impossible rebrand as Polaroid, or has the Polaroid brand been too damaged by years of any old cheap tat bearing the name?
More interestingly, with all the intellectual property of Polaroid at hand, would this mean they can improve their products by getting closer to the real Polaroid methods?

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Impossible Polaroid?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:26:37 PM »
Yeah, saw this yesterday and strangely didn't quite know what to make of it all.
My guess is Impossible will keep its name since they worked so hard to make it a brand.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 06:08:15 PM »
The old Polaroid recipes are mostly useless as several of the chemicals they used are now banned by law. Besides, the latest versions of the Impossible films are now so good that it would make no sense to backtrack on what they have achieved.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 07:06:29 PM »
Many of the patents have expired so other than the brand recognition I wonder what they are really getting out of the deal. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:14:55 PM »
Licensing fees...
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 12:07:09 AM »
I agree that IP will keep its name. But maybe they can use Polaroid for minor products? Weird-ass films? A new production, no-frills box camera? I think an ingenious use may be to just slap a tiny logo (my Dad's favorite is the cross-eyed owl, but the more recognizable one may be the rainbow) on all their products. Giving the impression of "with the blessings of Mr Land" :D

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
I think an ingenious use may be to just slap a tiny logo (my Dad's favorite is the cross-eyed owl, but the more recognizable one may be the rainbow)

huh? what owl?? :D

but yeah, it'll be interesting to see if this actually bears any fruit into the production.
/jonas

lharby

• Hi
    • slackwise
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »
I think it would be tempting to use the Polaroid name for IP films.

To me the name Polaroid is synonymous with the product (like Filofax or Hoover).

I still say 'polaroids' to people when I am shooting fuji instant, because everyone knows 'polaroid'.
Everything should be tried once except incest and folk dancing.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 03:18:32 PM »
One other thing they will gain is access to the retailer's list and an easier access to their stores.
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 12:35:18 PM »
Looks like something's coming to fruition, as according to this:-

Polaroid have just launched a potentially huge announcement scheduled for next week (September 13th). Their website now features a looped teaser hinting back to its analogue roots.

Not only did Polaroid make this teaser but Impossible also put out an announcement saying “We’re Going Dark” with their website stating, “The Impossible online store will be closed from September 10th – September 13th. Watch this space.”

I guess we'll have to wait to see if this is just the current range of Impossible Project film getting a rebranding, or whether there's more. Pack film would be nice.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »
The Polaroid website is indeed teasing ....

http://www.polaroid.com/international-sites/uk-en

Klaus

• Using 35 and 120, currently
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 05:49:31 PM »
I still say 'polaroids' to people when I am shooting fuji instant, because everyone knows 'polaroid'.

It's a bit like the Xerox brand, some still say "xerox" instead of copying.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »
And sadly, for our own entertainment, things like that cause serious real world problems... like this which happened in court and has been transcribed for posterity
! No longer available

Francois

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 09:30:57 PM »
And sadly, for our own entertainment, things like that cause serious real world problems... like this which happened in court and has been transcribed for posterity
! No longer available

I was hooked.   Did they make this into a film?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »
Nope, that's all there was.
Francois

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 11:20:26 AM »
To me what would make this good news is if they can bring back the manipulatability of the SX-70-type film, and if they bring back peel-apart film that can be used for transfers (including 4x5 size). And, of course, Type 55.

Yeah, it's a pipe dream. I know. Sigh.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »
François, thanks for the link. No one could script a dialogue like that, it's fantastic in a very odd way.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 11:10:14 AM »
.....Giving the impression of "with the blessings of Mr Land" :D

I too could definitely see this happening.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 03:40:02 AM »

It's a bit like the Xerox brand, some still say "xerox" instead of copying.

mmm popsicle
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 09:13:55 PM »
Another 3 hours until the big reveal... I've had some pints and can't wait up that long.  Don't they ever think of the drunk consumer in the U.K who needs to get up for work?

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 09:25:32 PM »
well, I'm not exactly sitting on pins waiting, but am a bit anxious to see what is revealed.
Especially since a good friend just sent me a Spectra camera and some film for it...

This could be big, "rreally rreally big" as Ed Sullivan used to say....

Becks

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 10:20:43 PM »
The Spectra cameras were really nice. I got two that I bought simply because they came with some film for them!
But now, they're gathering dust waiting for Impossible's prices to drop...
Francois

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 02:56:25 AM »
Well all that countdown stuff and......BIG HARRY DEAL....... A ONE STEP! 
Really, a One Step?!?!?
Couldn't they come up with something interesting like a real lens and shutter, full manual exposure adjustment and manual focus?
Sigh, maybe I've just become too old and grumpy.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 04:40:33 AM »
well, now that the launch has been made, a couple of things come to mind...

The success of Fuji Instax probably pushed them to do this and to get in the game more than just recycling old Polaroids.

IMHO, anything that promotes analog film is a good thing, even if it's not something I like or want...

Perhaps this is just a tip of what's to come.

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic on future Polaroid cameras, films, prices etc.

But you gotta admit, it had quite a few people talking about film again and that's definitely newsworthy.    8)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
The One-step 2 is obviously meant as a cheap mass market camera in competition with Fuji Instax. Still it looks like it has a decent lens and it has the new FPU (Film Processing Unit) developed by Impossible. It's rechargeable which means that there is no longer any need for an internal battery in each film pack. This makes sense from an environmental point of view. But you can use your old 600 films as well.
The really good news is that film prices are reduced.  :)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »
I'm intrigued by the 8x10. Is that peel-apart?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 02:28:31 PM »
I think it's integral as i don't think they have the machines or the technology for peel apart.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »
The 8x10 is integral, so the image will be mirrored. You will need the Polaroid 8x10 processor as well.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 03:33:40 PM »
Well all that countdown stuff and......BIG HARRY DEAL....... A ONE STEP! 
Really, a One Step?!?!?
Couldn't they come up with something interesting like a real lens and shutter, full manual exposure adjustment and manual focus?
Sigh, maybe I've just become too old and grumpy.

Maybe a bit grumpy.  😄

But I think this is a good thing.  I have preordered the camera.  If they can be profitable on this, it may open the chance for more interest in pack film.  I think I may do a street project with this. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 04:47:29 PM »
The price of film has dropped considerably.  For the SX-70 it went from over $25/pack to $18.99.  If you get the new camera you can use the i-type film for $15.99/pack.  The i-type film is cheaper becauselike Kai-san said, it doesn't have a battery in the pack, the new camera has a re-chargeable battery.

https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/collections/polaroid-film

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 06:15:34 PM »
From this email I just got it sounds like the film has been re-formulated.  I don't know if they are talking about the most recent formulation or something new today.

Dear Impossible and Polaroid fans,

Today is a day for the history books. It’s the 80th anniversary of the founding of Polaroid by the legendary Edwin Land. It’s the day that the Impossible Project mission is complete after 9 years of hard work. And it marks the next chapter in the Polaroid story with the launch of a new brand: Polaroid Originals.
Polaroid Originals represents the relaunch of original format Polaroid analog instant photography, which the Impossible Project has kept alive and nurtured since 2008. The Impossible Project could not be completing its journey in any better way than by connecting Polaroid back to the business that made it a universally loved icon.
And though Impossible brand is wrapping up today, the talented and dedicated team that made the Impossible possible is already putting all of their energy and commitment into Polaroid Originals. In fact, the team has been working on this launch for the past seven months, which is why today we can present you with a whole host of great news. Here are the highlights:
Say hello to the OneStep 2

Today we are launching a new camera inspired by Polaroid’s original OneStep from 1977. Our goal was simple — create an accessible, easy-to-use instant camera that invites everyone to take part in analog instant photography. At $99.99, it’s more competitively priced in today’s money than the original OneStep was in 1977, and we’re excited about what that means for bringing more people into the analog fold. Not only that, it’s just as easy to use as the original OneStep, but with some great modern features like a more precise, aspheric lens, powerful flash, built-in battery and self-timer function.

All new brand. All new film:
Polaroid Originals launches with a new generation of Color film, sharper and brighter than the Impossible film that came before it. And with development time down to 10-15 minutes, it’s a big step forward for our instant color chemistry. B&W is there as good as ever, and Special Edition film will continue, starting with the firm fan favorite, our 600 Color Frames Edition in both Color and B&W formulas.

Vintage formats, and new i-Type:
Polaroid Originals will continue to support the vintage Polaroid formats, including 600, SX-70, Spectra and 8x10, producing color and B&W film for each platform.  We’re also introducing the new Polaroid Originals i-Type format film — it’s now battery-free, so it’s better value, and optimized for i-Type cameras to offer the pinnacle of instant photography for the modern age.

And refurbished vintage cameras continue:
Our program of carefully refurbishing vintage cameras will continue with Polaroid Originals, so legendary Polaroid models like the SLR 680, SX-70, Sun 600, and Spectra/Image will still be found in our new webstore at polaroidoriginals.com. In fact, they're all there right now, with a few new additions on their way as well.

Everything’s changing, but we’ve kept you in the loop:
While clearly a lot is changing today, you don’t have to worry about missing a thing. All of our social media handles have quietly changed, so you’re still connected and following. On our online store, your login details and purchase history are also completely intact, so you can carry on as you did before. And your email subscriptions are exactly as you left them.

Today, we feel both humbled and excited; humbled to have the privilege of being the next custodians of Polaroid analog instant photography, acutely aware of all the technical achievements and artistic endeavors achieved over the past 80 years; excited at the prospect of boldly innovating and creating again, to be back at the intersection of art and science, and developing this unique medium of creative expression so that everyone can experience its magic.

It’s been a long road to get here, and we couldn’t have done it without your help, so we'd like to extend a sincere thank you for all your guidance, patience, and support.

All the best, and I hope you’ll join us on the next chapter of our journey,

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 08:18:08 PM »
I think it's integral as i don't think they have the machines or the technology for peel apart.

Fuji killed off peel-apart, any new film will have to be re-invented as New55 tried to do. And Catlabs............ ::)
I just ordered the new OneStep 2 as well, I have a stash of I-film I need to use before it goes bad. I had planned to use it for pinhole shots, but I haven't got the patience. Life's too short for shutter speeds above 1 sec.  :P
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »
The price of film has dropped considerably.  For the SX-70 it went from over $25/pack to $18.99.  If you get the new camera you can use the i-type film for $15.99/pack.  The i-type film is cheaper becauselike Kai-san said, it doesn't have a battery in the pack, the new camera has a re-chargeable battery.
And since both are the same size (the new onestep will accept old style film), there's nothing to stop a tinkerer from grafting an external 6v battery pack on a traditional camera so it cam use the new and cheaper film ;)
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 06:00:59 AM »
From this email I just got it sounds like the film has been re-formulated.  I don't know if they are talking about the most recent formulation or something new today.
Its a newer formulation of the film not just a rebranding of existing IP film.
tk

16mman

• Sean Anderson Media
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 10:15:26 PM »
I already own a working original 1 Step, a mid-90's 600 camera and a Sonar SX-70 so I'm not really interested in the new One Step. That being said, the price drops alone make me happy, plus the fact that i'll never have to explain what the Impossible Project is again when I'm out shooting. Now I can just say Polaroid and most people will know what I'm talking about :)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2017, 02:35:05 PM »
I already own a working original 1 Step, a mid-90's 600 camera and a Sonar SX-70 so I'm not really interested in the new One Step. That being said, the price drops alone make me happy, plus the fact that i'll never have to explain what the Impossible Project is again when I'm out shooting. Now I can just say Polaroid and most people will know what I'm talking about :)

;D I just imagined a fictitious conversation between me and some rando asking me about the film...

Rando: "Wow! Polaroid STILL makes film??"
Me: "Well .... not exactly ... Polaroid went out of business ... then there was this company ... they tried to reverse engineer the film ... then the Polaroid name got bought by some other company and ... "
Rando: *already 5 blocks away*

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »
Just explain it: it's polaroid -reanimated :B
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2017, 09:29:04 PM »
I've had a similar thing happen to me quite often...
People just call everything instant Polaroid. I think I might just run with it... except when they try and sell me a Polaroid camera and tell me the film is still available.
But now, with such an announcement, this argument pretty much screws up my tactic for cheap polas.
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 01:05:25 AM »
But now, with such an announcement, this argument pretty much screws up my tactic for cheap polas.
Ive already seen a small bump in prices of used cams. ;D
tk

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 03:43:55 AM »
Ive already seen a small bump in prices of used cams. ;D

So now I have TWO choices of what to do with my SX-70: hack it to accept an external battery so I can use the cheaper IP (oops, I mean Polaroid) film, or sell it at a slightly higher price ;D