Author Topic: Roll film back for 5x4  (Read 1559 times)

David A-W

Roll film back for 5x4
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:34:39 PM »
I've looked at the price of 5x4 colour film and now think a roll-film back for my expanding collection of 5x4 cameras would be a worthwhile investment. The Harman Titan was the gateway drug, then a Speed Graphic and I've just ordered a blue Intrepid today...

Looking at a few online retailers there are a range of roll-film backs available secondhand, with various manufacturers models on offer - Linhof, Wista, Horseman - and 6x7 or 6x9 available.

If I were to pick one, do any have advantages or is it the case at this level that all are well-designed, well-made items and condition is more important than design?

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: Roll film back for 5x4
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 08:00:27 AM »
calumet made some nice roll film backs that you just slide under the focusing screen but it seems cambo made a better version off it (better gearing, film flatness, frame spacing etc). but that's the only one I know anything about besides rada film backs but they only fit those old folding cameras, right?
/jonas

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »
The Radas made for 4x5 backs were simply packed out in the base, for Plaubel in the main since it was their company.  The Rada is the least good of the roll designs (ignore Rollex completely).

Main considerations are going to be how it fits with your glass back, what kind of winder, and price.  You have to be certain that the registration of the glass surface and film plane is perfect.  Compare using your original 4x5 glass with using an adaptor and a separate, smaller glass frame for your format.

Knob wind is nice and simple, but if it's a fat one it may be awkward against the edge of your frame.  A single lever stroke would be quicker to use.  OTOH, the Linhof I have has a good film counter so I'm not going to complain about awkward in this case.  The better-made ones tend to be on the heavy side.

Shen-hao made a lovely slide combo with a 6x9 glass and a 6x9 film holder, but it's really an extra wooden back to carry.  I think several companies made these in metal for their rail cams.

I also bought it with colour in mind but in fact I still haven't used my Linhof 6x9 since I picked it up last year at Photographica at the end of the day for £25.  List price was £45 but the seller was clearly feeling tired and couldn't resist any further.    ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 03:08:46 PM »
Graflex also made some of those.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »
As I also have a blue Intrepid on order I've perused the listings in a similar way.

One thing to bear in mind (sorry if this is really obvious) is to make sure that the roll film back you buy is actually intended for 5*4 rather than for a medium format view camera. Sometimes the same company will make both and the difference which should be apparent in a photograph is that the one intended for 5*4 will have a wide base.

So, it needs to be described as a "6*7 (or 6*9) or whatever roll film back for 5*4" not just as a "6*7 roll film back"

As an example here is one intended for 5*4:

http://www.ffordes.com/product/15120911411031

wheres this one is intended for a medium format camera:

http://www.ffordes.com/product/16100515381481

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:00:54 PM by KevinAllan »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 04:29:18 PM »
Graflex made six versions for 120 film (see link below).  I have the "22" Graphic which gives a 6x6 negative, I have not used it yet.  Mine came with the kit, if I had a choice I would have preferred a 6x9 back.

https://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/accessories.html#RollFilmBacks

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 06:53:57 PM »

I've got a couple of these that I use with my Crown Graphic once in a while. They work very well.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »

I've got a couple of these that I use with my Crown Graphic once in a while. They work very well.
Aw crap. GAS engaged.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 08:16:29 PM »
I've looked at the price of 5x4 colour film and now think a roll-film back for my expanding collection of 5x4 cameras would be a worthwhile investment. The Harman Titan was the gateway drug, then a Speed Graphic and I've just ordered a blue Intrepid today...

Looking at a few online retailers there are a range of roll-film backs available secondhand, with various manufacturers models on offer - Linhof, Wista, Horseman - and 6x7 or 6x9 available.

If I were to pick one, do any have advantages or is it the case at this level that all are well-designed, well-made items and condition is more important than design?

David,

When I bought a Tutone 5x4 from Sandeha, I fancied getting involved in 5x4 but, for a number of reasons, I've never taken the plunge.  However, like yourself, I've wondered about 120 roll film in a 5x4 body and I've acquired a 6x9 Cambo (which is quite modern and looks very well made) and a Horseman 6x12 (which is built like a tank).  I haven't used them yet but I'm hoping that this summer will spark some enthusiasm.

Nothing wrong with 6x7 format, of course, but for me, it's a bit close to 6x6 and, when I had a Mamiya 7, I'd often end up cropping to square anyway. Therefore a wider view is my preference. The 6x12s seem rare and quite expensive. A guy I know has a Horseman - same as mine - and he's asking £299 for it.  It might come a bit cheaper as he's had it on his website for a while but I can't guarantee it.  I was looking for an MPP 6x9 originally.  These tend to be a bit cheaper than others but they can be a bit tricky to track down.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

David A-W

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 10:55:03 PM »
All excellent advice, thank you.

@Sandeha - I have some weeks to wait before the Intrepid is due so I may take advantage of the wait and try to come to Photographica to see what's available there this year.

@Late Developer - you make a good point about 6x7 being close to 6x6 so therefore 6x9 is a greater and therefore useful distance from medium format. I have an Agfa Billy Record folder in 6x9 and, whilst thirsty for film, the proportions and size of the format are really lovely. Having that with the movements makes sense, so I'll be after a 6x9 one I think.

@KevinAllen - good choice: I would normally have plumped for green but felt their shade of green was too virulent, as is the red. Blue is an excellent choice. I look forward to sharing learning about the Intrepid with you

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »
I was looking at my "22" Graphic roll film back over the weekend and discovered that it is a 6x9 back.  Someone must have put a rear cover from a "22" model onto a "23" model back.  I may be more inclined to use it now.