Author Topic: My Photo was Used for a Research Paper  (Read 1139 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
My Photo was Used for a Research Paper
« on: May 10, 2017, 04:23:48 PM »
I was recently contacted by a Professor of Cultural Heritage Management about a photo I posted on Flickr a few years ago.  He was studying the corrosion processes that affect the 20cm guns on Guam and Saipan.  He wanted to use my photo in his report.  I gave him permission to use it, I only asked if I could see the report when he was finished.  He just sent me a message that the report was complete and sure enough my photo is in there and he gave me credit for it.  I think it's great that they are looking at preserving some of the artifacts on Saipan, they are really starting to show their age.

This is a link to the report: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316823588_The_Japanese_20cm_dual_purpose_gun_at_the_%27Last_Command_Post%27_Marpi_Saipan_CNMI
My photo is Figure 24 on page 20. 

This is the unedited photo that he used, he cropped in on the corrosion on the gun in his report.  I photographed it in 2014 with a Rolleiflex Automat using Kodak Ektar 100.
Japanese Guns by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

A similar thing happened to me back in 2013 after I posted a photo of a rare fox in Crater Lake National Park.  It's a crappy digital photo I posted on Panoramio that the author of the article found.  He asked permission and all I asked for was a copy of the article.  He actually mailed me a copy of the newsletter.  I also got a copy when I re-visited the park that year, they hand it out at the gate as you enter the park.  I think the photo was taken the year before.  I was working nearby so I visited the park as often as I could over the course of a few years.  The article is on the bottom of page 7 if you go to the link below.  He cropped a crappy digital picture so it shows.  I'm not proud of the quality of the photo but since it is one of the rarest mammals in North America I liken it to a fuzzy photo of Bigfoot. 

https://www.nps.gov/crla/learn/news/upload/Crater-Lake-Reflections-Summer-Fall-2013-low-res-v2.pdf

If anyone has had similar experiences please share.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: My Photo was Used for a Research Paper
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:28:53 PM »
I was contacted about a pic on Flickr by Dublin County Council Libraries Department (I think it was) who were producing a book about Thomas Byrne and wanted a picture of the De La Warr Pavillion in Bexhill. I said they could use it if I could get a copy of the book. They duly sent me two copies.

Here's the pic.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 12:53:55 AM »
I was contacted about a pic on Flickr by Dublin County Council Libraries Department (I think it was) who were producing a book about Thomas Byrne and wanted a picture of the De La Warr Pavillion in Bexhill. I said they could use it if I could get a copy of the book. They duly sent me two copies.

Fantastic photo, of course they wanted it for their book!  That's great that they gave you copies of the book as well. 

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 10:10:20 AM »
this already feels like a happy thread :)

I've nothing permanent myself but this yashica 635 shot of a sign that says "everything will be fine" was used in a lecture for people working with treatment for mental disorders

"All will be well" by jonas lundström, on Flickr

the kicker is that the house in the background used to be one of swedens largest psychiatric hospitals. now it houses several schools, kindergartens, library and a health centre.
/jonas

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 03:57:55 PM »
Wow, that's nice.  Who knew a rusty photo would get such notice.  Cool! 8)

I'm me today, which is also good. 

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 05:02:37 PM »
Some years ago I shot some pictures at the opening of an art installation. The artist asked for a copy and later used it as a flyer. It's shot on one of the earliest versions of the Impossible B&W film with my Polaroid SX-70 Alpha 1.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

lharby

• Hi
    • slackwise
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »
Love that pic Kai-San.

I had some veterinary website or suchlike contact me over this:

Also this had some activity over the years (from various sources)

For my own policy, I always ask for a fee however small. I would rather have £10 and a conversation with the buyer, than my name credited.

I see this stuff as more commercial and hopefully a way to have a little beer money, so I decided to put some of these types of shots on eyeem.com
Everything should be tried once except incest and folk dancing.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 10:39:39 PM »
Congratulatons, Bryan. Among us are some very experianced photographers whose pictures are published at many places. But I guess each of us is proud when his picture appears somewhere else but on his own site etc. So I also am, of course. Many of my pictures at flickr have a CC licence, they can be used free non-commercially. But if people are the subject, they are mostly copyrighted and only the displayed persons are allowed to use them - and me of course. Some of my images can be seen on musiscians websites and as cd-artwork. Here I couldn't prevent my real name from being credited insted of my "pseudo" which I definately prefer. Call it crude vanity :-D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 10:47:47 PM by imagesfrugales »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 11:22:44 PM »
Congratulatons, Bryan. Among us are some very experianced photographers whose pictures are published at many places. But I guess each of us is proud when his picture appears somewhere else but on his own site etc. So I also am, of course. Many of my pictures at flickr have a CC licence, they can be used free non-commercially. But if people are the subject, they are mostly copyrighted and only the displayed persons are allowed to use them - and me of course. Some of my images can be seen on musiscians websites and as cd-artwork. Here I couldn't prevent my real name from being credited insted of my "pseudo" which I definately prefer. Call it crude vanity :-D

Thanks Reinhold, as a complete hack when it comes to photography I do get excited about someone using one of my photos.  I'm especially excited about helping someone with a research project like I did.  If it was for commercial use I would not give away the rights to a photo, that cuts into what professionals do for a living.  We do have some amazing photographers here, I hope some of that will rub off on me. 

As a collector of vinyl LP's getting a photo on an album cover would be the ultimate accomplishment.  It's interesting that Chamber 3 has a Seattle connection, that's my home town, and the record was recorded here.  I'm not sure if I have seen them perform here, I may have if they played the Seattle Jazz festival.  Funny that they do a Nirvana song, I need to give that a listen. 

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 01:23:51 AM »
Bryan: most jazz musicians can't make their living from their art and the actual copyright laws at least here in Germany (GeMA) only make the few rich still richer, at the expense of the masses of all those great musicians nobody knows and who are fobbed off with peanuts, despite the promotor pays a lot to the performing right society, even if they only play their own work. So giving them a little bit is what I can do to show my appreciation. Without culture, I would be lost. But I would never work free for the big guys like Till Brönner i.e., and I doubt they would be aware of me at all.

Matt Jorgensen, the drummer of Chamber 3, lives in Seattle afaik and here are his next shows:
http://mattjorgensen.com/up-coming-shows/

The sax and guitar player are lving near to my town and I know them quite well. Matt frequently comes to Germany and the 2 Germans sometimes go to Seattle for a little tour. And yes, I guess they already played at the Ballard Jazz Festival, at least Matt does this year. And John Stowell, whom I could meet in the Jazzhaus Heidelberg 2 or 3 times a couple of years ago.

I have the 2 CDs of Chamber 3: "chaos and structure" and "grassroots" (of course), both are highly recommended by me, but are rather different. Mail me for more if you like: imagesfrugales (!AT*) yahoo point de
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:41:17 AM by imagesfrugales »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 02:46:52 AM »
Bryan: most jazz musicians can't make their living from their art and the actual copyright laws at least here in Germany (GeMA) only make the few rich still richer, at the expense of the masses of all those great musicians nobody knows and who are fobbed off with peanuts, despite the promotor pays a lot to the performing right society, even if they only play their own work. So giving them a little bit is what I can do to show my appreciation. Without culture, I would be lost. But I would never work free for the big guys like Till Brönner i.e., and I doubt they would be aware of me at all.

Matt Jorgensen, the drummer of Chamber 3, lives in Seattle afaik and here are his next shows:
http://mattjorgensen.com/up-coming-shows/

The sax and guitar player are lving near to my town and I know them quite well. Matt frequently comes to Germany and the 2 Germans sometimes go to Seattle for a little tour. And yes, I guess they already played at the Ballard Jazz Festival, at least Matt does this year. And John Stowell, whom I could meet in the Jazzhaus Heidelberg 2 or 3 times a couple of years ago.

I have the 2 CDs of Chamber 3: "chaos and structure" and "grassroots" (of course), both are highly recommended by me, but are rather different. Mail me for more if you like: imagesfrugales (!AT*) yahoo point de

Wow, Matt is playing with the headline band as well as his own show at the Jazz festival!  Unfortunately I'll be working out of town and won't be able to make it this year.  I have a few friends that play in bands in California, they would be lucky to pay all their expenses with what they make.  They do it for the love of music, I don't think they have any delusions of getting rich from it just like I have no delusions of making any money from photography.  I just do it for my own enjoyment.