Author Topic: Colour pinhole film choice 5x4  (Read 748 times)

David A-W

Colour pinhole film choice 5x4
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:49:45 PM »
I'm still enjoying using my Harman Titan 5x4 pinhole camera but have only used it for black and white - the exposure latitude is helpful I find as I'm not that precise with exposure estimates.

I'm interested in trying colour with it, but what should I use that will be the most forgiving - Ektar, Portra or something else?

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: Colour pinhole film choice 5x4
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 11:00:10 PM »
Portra is way more forgiving than Ektar, but I've used Ektar in my 6x9 pinhole-converted Six-20 and been happy with the results. I'm fairly good about regulating exposure times, however (within a second or two generally); if you're just opening up and hoping for the best, Portra's probably your best bet.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 02:23:30 PM »
Portra is pretty good on latitude.
Obviously stay away from slide.
But I would tend to suggest getting your exposure game down first. Short exposures have much less leeway than long ones.
Also, the lower the ISO the easier it is to get exposures proper.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 05:08:15 PM »
Hi, have used mostly Fuji Pro160 and Kodak Ektar with the Harman Titan. Both with very good results. With Kodak Ektar you have to calculate and time the exposure more carefully. I had good results with exposures up to 10 minutes. Fuji Pro160 and Kodak Portra are much more forgiving and you can estimate the exposures and still get very good results.

I think there is not much differentce with respect to colour shifts (green or magenta). I got them with all colour films.