Author Topic: Eyepiece correction for wonky vision  (Read 1204 times)

chris667

• Peel Apart
Eyepiece correction for wonky vision
« on: April 30, 2017, 06:45:13 AM »
Hello

I love my Spotmatic, but a recent test shows my eyesight is deteriorating further. I can focus if I wear my glasses, but I can't see the whole frame. Or I can take my glasses off and see the whole frame and not focus.

I read somewhere about somebody who made an eyepiece from a pair of prescription glasses. Was it one of you? What options are available? I am thinking maybe I'll have to go autofocus. :-(

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
Re: Eyepiece correction for wonky vision
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 10:21:31 AM »
I have done, just cutting a disk from an older pair of glasses.  There's one stuffed into the eyepiece of my Hasselblad and it's very useful if I'm prepared to keep my glasses off the whole time I'm shooting.

You can buy them in different sizes if you know the diopter you need, but old glasses, a Dremel and a diamond wheel is not too difficult as the lenses are usually plastic.  Just try to use the same eye lens you would normally focus with and cut from the centre area.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 02:18:54 PM »
Most cameras has (had) eyepiece correction lenses and they are well worth the money. Nikon has a wide range of diopters and they can fit other cameras as well, I've used them on Fuji, Contax and Zeiss cameras. I do not know the Pentax cameras, but if you have a circular eyepiece that is screwed into the body I would measure the diameter of the hole and try to find something on evilbay. If you are in the +4 range and worse I think the homemade solution would get so bulky that it wouldn't fit.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 09:16:38 AM »
The eyepiece on the back of my camera is rectangular, and the cup slides on from the top. Does anyone know what sort of thing I need?

Sorry to sound ignorant. Never needed to think about this in the past.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 12:19:37 PM »
I searched for Pentax diopter on ebay under Cameras & photo and got 33 hits. From what I understand from other forums it's the SMC variety you need, the M types are for later models. Or have a look at Pentaxforums for the homemade variety:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/327594-spotmatic-ii-viewfinder-correction-dioptre.html

Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 02:37:57 PM »
The eyepiece on the back of my camera is rectangular, and the cup slides on from the top. Does anyone know what sort of thing I need?

Sorry to sound ignorant. Never needed to think about this in the past.

Often the eye cup is able to take a correction lens. Check the eye cup for any part that can be unscrewed or removed.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:40:42 PM by PeterR »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

johnha

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 10:47:13 PM »
Back in the day, companies like Harma made multi-fit correction lenses based around a common eyecup. The Pentax M corrections were designed for the M series cameras - they are wider than the spotmatic viewfinder grooves so you may be able to fill the gap somehow. For a while I used a correction lens blu-taked to the viewfinder (didn't look pretty but worked OK).

John.

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 10:50:26 AM »
Thank you!

I am on the lookout for one.