Author Topic: Forum Problems  (Read 9850 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Forum Problems
« on: April 29, 2017, 11:22:30 PM »
Hi All, I've been doing some testing and it appears that despite appearances to the contrary, the forum IS working....kind of. For most operations you will get to see what you should be seeing if you refresh your screen at least twice...sometimes 3 or 4 times. In other words, if you post a new topic, or reply to an existing one, you won't see the new content straightaway as you'd expect, but if you refresh the topic page, or the main forum listing you will eventually see the new content.

This is incredibly annoying because you only know to do that if you've posted something yourself - i.e. how do you know what you should be seeing unless you know it should be there?

Incidentally, this method also resolves the problem of being given the wrong identity. Keep refreshing and you will eventually end up back as yourself (although this doesn't work 100% of the time in every screen).

I'm going off to Google these symptoms and see if anything reveals itself.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:32:23 PM by Ed Wenn »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Forum Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 11:42:28 PM »
It's worth noting that it seems to help if you use In Private Browsing mode (Microsoft Edge browser), or Incognito mode (Google Chrome browser). I'm not sure if the refreshing tip that I mentioned above will work without that....but by all means try it out and feedback here.

Safari will have a similar mode I'm sure; I just don't know what it's called.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 12:23:56 AM »
NOTE: I have also uninstalled Tapatalk in case that was causing problems. I read a few articles which singled out the Tapatalk plugin as being the cause of user login issues etc. so thought it was worth covering that off. It doesn't seem to have made a difference though unfortunately.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 12:44:31 AM »
Final update: I have temporarily disabled the Personal Messages feature. This will be re-activated once we have a working forum again.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »
Ed,

Sure you've already seen this but, just in case. Seems we're not the only forum having similar problems. A couple of reports on the SMF forum of the same problems. Someone suggested disabling Varnish if that helps.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=553580.0

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=553551.0
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 05:28:39 PM »
More I look at this the more it seems like a caching problem. I think we are getting served pages cached by other users. Would explain the wrong names and also why recent posts aren't always showing up. The multiple refreshes could mean you eventually get the latest page version.

I've also noticed my browser is often saying "waiting for homepage.ntlworld.com". Not sure where ntlworld comes into it (basically Virgin Media) but maybe that's where the issue is.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 06:25:15 PM »
I tried the refresh thing and it seems to be working, I'm myself again.  The only issue I see is the "new" highlights next to threads don't go away after I look at something.  I'm using an iPad if that means anything.

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 07:40:59 PM »

I've also noticed my browser is often saying "waiting for homepage.ntlworld.com". Not sure where ntlworld comes into it (basically Virgin Media) but maybe that's where the issue is.

Interesting you mention this, I did get this as well on one occasion but didn't connect it with the forum problems. Virginmedia is my provider.

The various private modes do not seem to make a difference for me. Used chrome, Safari, Firefox.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 09:29:24 PM »
More I look at this the more it seems like a caching problem. I think we are getting served pages cached by other users. Would explain the wrong names and also why recent posts aren't always showing up. The multiple refreshes could mean you eventually get the latest page version.

Yeah, wasn't this what ferrania suffered from too when they had the shop open the first time? -jojonas

Holla to my borrowed accounts; mike (happyforest), kayos, kai-san, macarron and bryan.
/jonas

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 10:50:35 PM »

Interesting you mention this, I did get this as well on one occasion but didn't connect it with the forum problems. Virginmedia is my provider.

I have nothing to do with Virgin and a trace doesn't show any recognisable link via them either so I don't know why I should be getting the message.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 05:02:02 AM »
A <ctrl>F5 seems to clear things up. That is a refresh that clears the local browser cache, so it would seem that somehow the server is not sending a 'clean' response. Forcing it to do so makes it behave a little better.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 08:49:07 AM »
I had a look at the smf support forum

Looks like it is a problem with the host software "Varnish". Post #15 is really worrying.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 02:25:50 PM »
Well.... This morning it seems a bit better...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 05:10:09 PM »
Hi All, I tried to disable PMs earlier (as mentioned above), but because it was late at night and I'd just spent a couple of hours doing just about everything I could think of to try and troubleshoot and sort out the issues we've been experiencing, I didn't do it correctly. Sorry for the confusion and thanks to those of you who emailed me to say that they could still use the PM system.

I just re-visited it with a clearer head though and think I have now done it properly  ;D If you could check and let me know that would be great. You may have to close down your browser session for it to take effect. I wouldn't know because you can't disable PMs for the Admin account. I think I have a test account here somewhere so I'll try that, but if you get a chance to check and feedback that would be helpful.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can dig up anything more about the crazy stuff we're seeing. Thanks a million for bearing with us and for looking into it yourselves. I agree that it looks like being a caching-related problem and I'm glad that some of you have been able to get the "refresh" trick to work for you to some extent; it's been a lifesaver for me.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 09:01:27 PM »
The messages module seems disabled do far since I can't see it.
Will clear my cookies and see what happens.

Yep, PM are disabled.

Still says I'm MacAaron...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:05:41 PM by Francois »
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 06:25:57 AM »
The messages module seems disabled do far since I can't see it.
Will clear my cookies and see what happens.

Yep, PM are disabled.

Still says I'm MacAaron...

Agreed.  No sign of messages.  I've been x100art this morning - but it refreshes to me, most of the time.  However, I can read new threads, exit that part of the forum and they're still shown as "new / unread".
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 11:09:22 AM »
Hi All, today I'm finding that every time I change pages on the forum I just have to hold down the SHIFT key and either press F5, or reload the page from the browser control and I get to see the correct information on the page as myself. I'm trying this from the office (now that I'm back in the real world after the long weekend in the UK) and I'm using Chrome and Internet Explorer on a Windows computer.

I'm also going to contact Bluehost today and see if they can shed any light on why this has just started happening.

UPDATE: Scratch that, I can't access the Bluehost live chat support from inside my company's network, so that will have to wait until this evening.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:16:20 AM by Ed Wenn »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
Thanks Ed.
Take your time, I think we're getting used to the oddity....
Francois

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 03:39:05 PM »
Continuing the discussion of the other thread, now closed, I am nobody quite often  :-[ BUT as Ed commented, when I reload the page (Command + R for Safari browser) there it's me back again and can post  :)

So whenever you feel soulless, just reload yourselves  ;D
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 09:39:12 PM »
I've been myself for quite a while, I have been a few people tho...

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
It appears we are all feeling ourselves again.   ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »
I'll have to check things out. I had to redo my login this morning.
Francois

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 05:12:00 PM »
I really enjoyed impersonating all the nice people on the forum here.  ;D

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »
It appears we are all feeling ourselves again.   ;)

Yes, today was the first time since the weirdness began that I arrived as myself.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 08:27:18 PM »
I was just Bryan when I checked the site. But at least it's back to its speedy self. Maybe it was just a cache issue on my part.
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 08:29:08 PM »
So far, I've been just me, but I'm wondering if I re-visit pages that I've previously loaded, whether that will make a difference. Let's find out....

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 08:30:10 PM »
Interesting. I appear to be just me and me alone. Here's hoping etc.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 08:36:40 PM »
I was just Bryan when I checked the site. But at least it's back to its speedy self. Maybe it was just a cache issue on my part.

I've been myself all day so you can't be me anymore!  I do seem to be in a different time zone so now I don't know where I am.  It's 12:30 PM local time for me but I'm seeing posts that happened at 8:30 PM.  Unless I'm seeing into the future.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 09:09:29 PM »
So far so good...
I didn't know that the site was made by DeLorean... no wonder it broke in a strange way  ;D
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 09:24:34 PM »
Yeah, the time thing is weird. I just approved a forum registration request that claims to have been made in 2013!! Clearly I need to check the forum time settings...except I'm loathe to change anything in case we become each other again.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2017, 10:36:18 PM »
I was still Bryan when I first came on the site a few moments ago...
It looks like everything is OK, but I just went into incognito mode and got access to Astrobeck's and Silvergrainclassics' user profiles with access to the editing functions and everything...
Will try with TOR to see if I can't get access to other stuff...
Yikes!
I can access the same accounts from a totally anonymous connection!
Lucky, I tried and the delete and check buttons don't work... or I hope they don't  :-\
(sorry if I wrecked something...  :-\ )
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:39:27 PM by Francois »
Francois

ed.test

• 35mm
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2017, 11:30:08 PM »
Well, now I'm REALLY confused because I'm in Incognito mode now, logged on as my Test account and I can only see the stuff I'd expect to. Not a whiff of anyone else. Weird.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2017, 07:59:04 AM »
I guess you've read this thread already, Ed?

/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
Try accessing the site using the onion router (torproject.org). It's a portable anonymizing browser that uses three steps of encryption to reach the site.
Francois

RolleiDan

• 35mm
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
I'm very happy to finally be here, I just wanted to say that! I've been trying for months to register an account and finally got approved! thank you to the admin that manually approved my account  ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2017, 08:13:06 PM »
You have to thank Ed for that :)
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »
I'm still Bryan - every time. OK after a refresh. Have cleared local cache, deleted cookies and flushed the dns cache but still always get served up an old version of the main forum page with Bryan as the last person to log in and me as him.

Blah!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2017, 01:26:27 PM »
I'm still Bryan - every time. OK after a refresh. Have cleared local cache, deleted cookies and flushed the dns cache but still always get served up an old version of the main forum page with Bryan as the last person to log in and me as him.

Blah!

I was still Bryan when I first came on the site a few moments ago...

You all get to be me while I'm Kayos this morning.  I thought I was doing so good being myself the last few days.  I did have to log in to post this which made me myself again. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2017, 02:23:57 PM »
Still not myself....
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2017, 03:19:33 PM »
Still not myself....

Try some tea and bed rest, that should get you feeling better ...  ;D

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2017, 03:23:21 PM »
As for me, knock on wood, I seem to be myself consistently for the past few hours on Chrome. I haven't tried incognito mode because I don't want to start up the problems again  ;D However, Tapatalk is dead in the water. It asks me to log in, does not accept my password, and claims there are no topics (not no "new" topics, simply no threads at all) on FW :D Not that big a deal, I'll only check FW when I'm at home. Anyways, I hate looking at all of your lovely pictures on a tiny phone ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2017, 09:23:14 PM »
I'm surprised to actually see my mug on the first try!

I'm starting to wonder if all that mess wasn't caused by tapatalk in some way?
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 09:07:01 AM »
I've found changing my landing page has helped. I previously went straight to the main forum but now go to the index first and I'm me all the time (touch some plastic simulated wood stuff).

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2017, 03:15:17 PM »
Still myself this morning.
Though it's a bit strange that the first time I open the first page it shows me as logged off, but when I press the login button I instantly see my picture on top but still need to enter my credentials to gain access.
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2017, 09:28:36 PM »
Nope... not anymore.

This is getting really annoying  :(
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2017, 03:29:53 AM »
Peter's suggestion helped at least once for me. Tapatalk is still dead. Though, Francois, I can't see how Tapatalk could've killed the forum since it's a client-side app. Unless the forum itself has to install software to talk to Tapatalk (which now I realize must be true)? Another forum I'm on and can still access via Tapatalk has not had similar problems, maybe there was a very recent forum update that killed it? I'll ask the admins at the other forum.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2017, 06:10:46 AM »
Peter's suggestion helped at least once for me. Tapatalk is still dead. Though, Francois, I can't see how Tapatalk could've killed the forum since it's a client-side app. Unless the forum itself has to install software to talk to Tapatalk (which now I realize must be true)? Another forum I'm on and can still access via Tapatalk has not had similar problems, maybe there was a very recent forum update that killed it? I'll ask the admins at the other forum.

Ed deliberately disabled Tapatalk in case it was a cause of issues. See his post further up.

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2017, 08:30:45 PM »
Well at least it seems to be relatively stable at present.  Occasionally I'm somebody else when I first go in but the refresh trick seems to work consistanly 1st time now.

However I wonder if anybody knows what happened yet to casue the issue in the 1st place.

However big thanks to Ed for looking at this.

Mike

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2017, 10:05:08 AM »
Seems it is a trick by Bluehost and some other webhosters urging people to conclude more expensive contracts to avoid problems that are intentionally made for this purpose. Happy greetings from built-in obsolescence. May the storm blow them away.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:37:54 PM by imagesfrugales »

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2017, 05:23:49 PM »
I'm me today.