Author Topic: Forum Problems  (Read 9855 times)

Faintandfuzzy

Re: Forum Problems
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2017, 02:22:39 AM »
I've just spent nearly 10 minutes trying to post...and having 5 different user IDs appear instead of me.  This is really getting old.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2017, 08:48:10 AM »
Seems it is a trick by Bluehost and some other webhosters urging people to conclude more expensive contracts to avoid problems that are intentionally made for this purpose. Happy greetings from built-in obsolescence. May the storm blow them away.
wow that sounds just really sad...
/jonas

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2017, 12:40:26 PM »
Well, crap. For the first time in several days, I was again not myself when I first arrived. It would seem the bug has not been thoroughly squashed.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2017, 02:29:01 PM »
The bug is definitely still there and I have absolutely no idea about what is going on!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2017, 05:42:33 PM »
The PM system is still down as well. That's a drag as I have addresses and contact info in there that I cannot access.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2017, 10:39:11 AM »
On Windows 10 and Chrome here.  Has been all good since the initial fix.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2017, 11:05:54 AM »
OK here since a few days on the mac and running safari without doing anything really.

doesn't work on the phone though
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2017, 03:06:49 PM »
On win 10 and Firefox I still get the problem.
On chrome for Android I am forced to login when I get to the main page. But as soon as I press login, it shows my picture and all my info is already entered.
The stay logged on button doesn't work.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2017, 03:42:43 PM »

Seems to be working for me.

My current problem is with my tablet (Android). How do you force a refresh on a tablet with no keyboard?
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2017, 04:35:10 PM »
One thing I found, especially with my iPad but also with Firefox, if I click from "Which Board" to "Main Forum" it will switch me to someone else.  Lately it's been switching me to Kayos a lot.  If I click from "Which Board" to the last post in the Right hand column it keeps it as myself.  After that I stay myself while I'm in "Main Forum". 

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2017, 08:23:53 PM »
One thing I found, especially with my iPad but also with Firefox, if I click from "Which Board" to "Main Forum" it will switch me to someone else.  Lately it's been switching me to Kayos a lot.  If I click from "Which Board" to the last post in the Right hand column it keeps it as myself.  After that I stay myself while I'm in "Main Forum".

Bryan every time I open FW I start as you, and the software thinks it's May 3.  (Safari)  If I log out I become me again, but if I do much else I turn into Becky.  I'm being careful to make sure it's me before I post until someone can figure out the puzzle.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2017, 08:45:26 PM »

Seems to be working for me.

My current problem is with my tablet (Android). How do you force a refresh on a tablet with no keyboard?
I think the refresh button is just next to the URL bar... I never noticed really.
But don't ask me how to force refresh the thing. The only way I know of is to go into the settings/apps and clear the cache...
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2017, 09:12:40 PM »
The only way I know of is to go into the settings/apps and clear the cache...

That's a point. I'll try it.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »
The PM system is still down as well. That's a drag as I have addresses and contact info in there that I cannot access.

Hi, I have mentioned this before, but I have deliberately turned off the PM system the other week as a number of people got in touch with me to say that they could read each others' messages.  Sorry it's causing you problems. I'll open it up again as soon as everything sorts itself out.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »
Hi all, I must say I'm surprised (and annoyed) that we're still having problems. I've not used the forum for a few days, but I stopped having problems of any sort quite a while ago. Windows 10 with Edge and Chrome browsers. No special cache settings, or Incognito modes required. It all just works as normal.

Tapatalk has been removed for the time being, so if you use that to access the forum from phones/tablets, you'll definitely have issues there. I will re-install it at some point ASAP. It was on my list for this week, but lots of other things got in the way.

To be clear though; there was no 'fix'. I suspect Bluehost are playing silly buggers with the underlying server configuration and at the point when I stopped experiencing issues, I assumed they'd worked out the kinks and that everything was good again. To me, it seemed like maybe they'd updated a caching component and hadn't tuned it properly...something along those lines.

Those of you still having problems, if you haven't cleared out your browser cache and delete all cookies and saved passwords etc. then I'd strongly recommend you do this. It's a huge PITA for the next week, because every site you visit (which requires authentication) will need a password, but it's probably not a bad thing to do once in a while anyway. I did this on all my browsers a fortnight and this site has worked perfectly for me for quite a while. I guess it's a combination of clearing my browser out and Bluehost taming their voracious caching software.

DazzlingDave

• 35mm
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2017, 02:10:10 PM »
There are still problems as I have had to re-register myself on the forum as my login details weren't accepted.  When I did come to login I was someone else again, now I am myself.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »
Wow!
It's the first day I haven't had any problems with the site!  8)

Maybe it fixed itself by magic...
Francois

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »
I commonly use Tapatalk to access this forum, so being it disabled I have not been able to enter for a couple of weeks... until today. I am working on a computer right now and I am me all the time  :) No more confusing personalities  ;D

It seems that all is running fine now. Next step: activate Tapatalk access  ;)

Thanks.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »
Still myself.... Pfew!
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2017, 05:10:26 PM »
I'm still having problems when I click to the main forum, sometimes I'm myself, sometimes I'm Kayos and sometimes I'm logged out.  I don't think it's really logging me out because it says I've been logged in for 44 days, even after I intentionally log out.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2017, 12:35:55 AM »
I'm still having problems when I click to the main forum, sometimes I'm myself, sometimes I'm Kayos and sometimes I'm logged out.  I don't think it's really logging me out because it says I've been logged in for 44 days, even after I intentionally log out.

The "total time logged in" is cumulative. I'm at 44 days, too :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2017, 12:47:23 AM »

So does it max out at 44?

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2017, 01:09:32 AM »

Indofunk
Total time logged in:
44 days, 3 hours and 44 minutes.

Probably not :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2017, 05:00:55 AM »

Indofunk
Total time logged in:
44 days, 3 hours and 44 minutes.

Probably not :)
I'm at 44 days, 14 hours and 29 minutes.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2017, 03:12:10 PM »
51 days, 21 hours, 28 minutes.....
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2017, 05:00:37 PM »
3 days, 14 hours and 19 minutes...

sounds like a Scorsese movie title...or something...    8)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »
I used to have that silly number of days too :D always logged in somewhere (specially when ticking that box for always signed in)
/jonas

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »
It's been a full 24 hours since my post above but it has only moved ahead by about one hour so it's clearly not accurate.  44 days, 15 hours and 17 minutes. 

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2017, 03:49:12 PM »
I'm twice as efficient as you guys!   :P

19 days, 12 hours and 21 minutes
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2017, 09:24:31 PM »
It's been a full 24 hours since my post above but it has only moved ahead by about one hour so it's clearly not accurate.  44 days, 15 hours and 17 minutes.
I think the system records only the last 60 minute chunk of activity.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2017, 03:28:10 AM »
One thing I just noticed is that somehow my time zone got reset to GMT +2 whereas it is actually GMT -5. Anyone else notice a time change?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2017, 04:36:21 AM »
One thing I just noticed is that somehow my time zone got reset to GMT +2 whereas it is actually GMT -5. Anyone else notice a time change?

It's been like that for me since the problems started. 

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »
I was mostly Bryan, maybe we swapped?

I've not had problems for a while now

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2017, 01:51:37 PM »
I really haven't noticed that.... I'll have to check it out.

Yeah, you're right. 15:51 when it's 8:51 on my clock.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2017, 12:09:04 AM »
I was mostly Bryan, maybe we swapped?

I've not had problems for a while now

;D As funny as that is, I wonder if there's some truth to the theory...  :D

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
Hi everyone. I meant to mention that while I was messing about trying to fix things a few weeks ago, I changed the time zone of the forum to my local time. So for those of you who noticed the difference and who now get a strange time instead of your local time....well, apologies, but that's what I've had every time I visited here since 2006  :o and I figured it was long overdue that we Brits had a bit of sensible time-stamping on Filmwasters.

Don't worry though; in 2027 I'll move to the time zone local for South East Asian visitors.
 ;D ;D