Author Topic: Rugged film cameras to take canoeing  (Read 2148 times)

chris667

• Peel Apart
Rugged film cameras to take canoeing
« on: April 25, 2017, 01:08:01 PM »
Hello

I love canoeing. When I used to live on a boat, I was out every day, including in ice!

I want to get out there with a camera now. To my shame, I only have about half a dozen photos taken from my canoe.

I'm doing a trip along the Thames later in the summer, seeing all my friends, and I want a proper record in case I don't get chance again in the future.

What camera should I use? I want something waterproof, really, and with metering that won't be so easily fooled by reflections, or the option of full manual exposure. Should I look at a waterproof camera, an enclosure, or something so cheap it doesn't matter if I drown it? Also, the ability to be used one-handed would be a bonus. I thought about just taking my Spotmatics and being careful, but there is potential for tears there.

What would you look for? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Rugged film cameras to take canoeing
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »
You could go for one of those Konica construction cameras. Attached to a floating grip or buoy, it should be more than adequate.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 01:47:48 PM »
Nikon L35AW does the job, and it does it well  ;)
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »
Same advice I gave to IrvB before he went snorkelling - a Nikonos.  Some lenses are for underwater only but there are lenses that can be used above and below the water.  So long as it's been looked after and you ensure the "o-ring" is properly lubed, they're very rugged.  they're also zone focus, so just a basic viewfinder to compose - nothing to really get in the way of paddling your canoe....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 03:41:09 PM »
I'd probably get some disposables.
Not even the waterproof ones.....

Or more likely I'd take an Ansco Pix Panorama and remove the inside mask.  They shoot well and cover the whole frame area.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 03:57:35 PM »
I have taken a number of cameras on the water kayaking and rafting.  Most of the time I just put them in a Ziploc bag and only take them out in calm water.  Now I have a nice dry bag that I use instead of the Ziploc. 

I took this with my View-Master camera:
Kayaking on the Wenatchee River by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

This was taken with a Petri FT:
Kayaking The Samamish River by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I have also used a Knoica Super 8 movie camera and a Bolex P2 8mm movie camera.  I have never damaged a camera but I wouldn't take anything that you would be heart broken about loosing.  Another good option if you want to just do point and shoot would be an Olympus Stylus Zoom Epic, they are sealed for incidental water but you cant submerge them.  It's also nice to have the zoom if you want to get a wildlife shot. 

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 08:29:41 PM »
Exa 1B or 1C.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 07:46:59 AM »
The best camera to use is the one you've already got. 

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 05:31:48 AM »
The best camera to use is the one you've already got.

My Pentax would be great, but I would be gutted if I broke it.

A compromise it is.

I am taking a Canon BF-8. Fixed focus compact that only cost £1 in a charity shop. It's OK. And the Olympus OM101 I couldn't sell to anyone here, inside a drybag.

Pictures when I'm done!

johnha

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 10:54:44 PM »
My rough 'n tumble camera is a Pentax Zoom90-WR (IQ Zoom 90WR in the US). It is (or at least was when made) waterproof (splash-proof but rumoured to be OK if submersed briefly without activating the zoom). It doesn't have manual control but has a whole load of shooting modes (landscape, slow-sync, portrait, macro etc), passive AF and a 38-90 f/3.5-7.8 zoom. Quite a big chunky camera with a slide-off IR remote control but very tough (getting on a bit now though).

John.

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 04:02:25 PM »
I think now I have four of them, I might just take a Zenit!

No-think SLRs. I could chuck them around, give them to casual acquaintances, and not worry too much because I can get another for buttons. That's a novel feeling.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 04:41:44 PM »
Same advice I gave to IrvB before he went snorkelling - a Nikonos.  Some lenses are for underwater only but there are lenses that can be used above and below the water.  So long as it's been looked after and you ensure the "o-ring" is properly lubed, they're very rugged.  they're also zone focus, so just a basic viewfinder to compose - nothing to really get in the way of paddling your canoe....

This is my advice as well. Plus, you could beat people up with it, if necessary.
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred