Author Topic: Stereo cameras  (Read 3501 times)

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
Stereo cameras
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:57:32 PM »
Sandeha's post in this weeks thread has me pondering a camera purchase. I have a Nimslo, but was wondering what a good stereo camera would be. Anyone have input?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Stereo cameras
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »
I've been shooting with View-Master cameras for quite a while now.  I'm not sure if that's the route you would want to go, it's a bit more tedious to make reels for viewing than other types of stereo cameras.  Not only do you need the camera but you also need a special cutter to to cut out the stereo pairs, you need empty reels to put them in and you need a viewer or projector to view them with.  The viewers are easy to get, they still make them.  It would take over $200 to get everything you need to get started with it.  The small slides are not that easy to load into the reels either but they do look great.

This is the best View-Master camera.
View-Master Personal Stereo Camera by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

This one is not as good but it does work with X sync flash where the one above needs a bulb flash.  There is also a FSU camera but I don't know much about it.
View-Master Stereo Color (Mark II) by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Pumpkin Stereo Pair by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 06:50:38 PM »
I can actually remember those little hand-held gadgets for stereo shots that were common in the sixties.  I didn't like them much, they seemed a nuisance, but even though the transparency image was likely to be quite crisp (you're looking at it very closely) it wasn't as entertaining as a single slide projection onto a white wall.  I suspect it's largely because of that closeness (lack of magnification) that stereo cameras could often get away with pretty poor lenses - like on the Wray/Graflex sample you saw.

Someone mentioned a Kodak and from what I read it had better quality lenses, but ... if you're thinking of looking at them onscreen or printing them rather than in a viewer I'd look into taking two shots with an SLR (lean on your left foot, then second shot, lean on your right foot) or even mounting two cameras side-by-side.  This entails more post-proc work to ensure vertical registration, etc, but the quality would be way, way higher (as I found with my pair from a dslr) though maybe that just depends on how you plan to view them, small or large.

I have a project coming up where I'll likely use the Wray once more as where moving people are concerned you definitely want simultaneous shots.  However, I'll be looking to use a grain-free film this time. (Ooh, the price of slide film these days!)

There's something exciting about the prospect of good 3D work but I sort of wish there was another way to view them onscreen without resorting to anaglyph glasses.  You'll have no want for reading resources if you check what physicist/guitarist Brian May has been up to ...   :)

http://www.londonstereo.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 08:17:11 PM »
Then there's always the Holga stereo pinhole.
I have one that I have yet to try out, but it looks promising.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:28:50 PM »
Then there's always the Holga stereo pinhole.
I have one that I have yet to try out, but it looks promising.

April 30th is Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day!

http://pinholeday.org/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:20:25 PM »
I might take advantage of that. Besides, it only makes 6 images on a roll of 120  :o
Francois

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 09:39:28 PM »
I've almost pulled the trigger on a Revere, I'll ponder it a bit longer. I want something that shoots the Realist format since that seems to be the most common for viewers, etc.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 11:40:55 AM »
As I mentioned I've had a Kodak Stereo Camera for some time.

Looking down by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr
This was probably the best shot I got from it.

Bridge 1 - Stereo Anaglyph by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr

The last time I used it I got overlapping frames and missed frames, which I've since read is the pressure plates being too slack which lets the sprocket holes skip over the sprockets. I've heard pulling gently on the plates can retension the plate springs so I should give it another try.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 02:36:13 PM »
I can't remember the exact model but vivitar did produce a special lens back in the 90's that had a special filter set inside that automatically produced anaglyphs.....
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 05:33:06 PM »
I can't remember the exact model but vivitar did produce a special lens back in the 90's that had a special filter set inside that automatically produced anaglyphs.....

I'd say wait a week and see what happens.....
That's all I can say for now.   8)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 09:06:04 PM »
If it ever stops pouring, there should be something ;)
(we had 18 days of rain in the month so far...)
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 09:33:25 PM »
Well don't forget about the Stereo Realist. There's also an Edixa stereo camera and a few others of serviceable quality.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »
And there are the stereo adapters... and the Loreo stereo lens in a cap.
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »
and there's this!
I've been testing one for a month....    8)

http://pinholeprinted.com/x-flyer6x6-stereo/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 11:36:00 PM »
and there's this!
I've been testing one for a month....    8)

http://pinholeprinted.com/x-flyer6x6-stereo/

So you got a test version, how does the 3D look?

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 01:42:59 AM »
I like it quite a lot!
Since last year I've been doing Holga 3D just by doing two separate exposures, using the Brian May trick of shifting from one foot to the other....

here's a sample from the pinhole printed one:
I can free view and don't need a viewer to see the 3D

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 02:41:26 AM »
I like it quite a lot!
Since last year I've been doing Holga 3D just by doing two separate exposures, using the Brian May trick of shifting from one foot to the other....

Becky, what are you using to view these in 3D?

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 03:59:34 AM »

Is that with the 'cross-eyed' method or the binocular method. The former is easy for me, the latter is hard.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 05:52:51 AM »
I can never do the cross eyed thing.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »
I wish my left eye worked sufficiently for me to be able to see the stereo effect. I remember the stereo slide viewers that were around in the 1960s and 1970s when I was growing up and the fact that my mates were all saying how fantastic they were when all I could see what a blurry mess  :o  These days, it's a reasonable excuse to just see the 2-D version of films that are also being shown on 3-D...!!
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »
I can free view it.
Meaning I don't need a viewer of any kind.
I can sit at the monitor, regular distance, look at the two images, relax, then the images split into three.
I concentrate on the one in the middle and it is 3D.

This is not a cross-eyed view. 

Just stare at them and relax.

I've been told you can do this, or you can't....

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 05:15:18 PM »
I think what you're doing is focusing on a point behind the images/monitor. I can occasionally do that, though not with this pair of images. I can crosseye this pair, which is in effect focusing on a point in front of the monitor. In theory, either method should work.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »
I think what you're doing is focusing on a point behind the images/monitor. I can occasionally do that, though not with this pair of images. I can crosseye this pair, which is in effect focusing on a point in front of the monitor. In theory, either method should work.

I think the images need to be in the right order for each method. With the binocular method the right eye looks at the right image and the left, the left. In the cross-eyed method, the right eye looks at the left image and the left the right. So you need to have them arranged so that the right eye is looking at the image taken with the right lens and the left the left.

I think these are arranged for binocular viewing (like with a viewmaster or sliding viewer). When I look at them cross-eyed I get an effect, but it isn't quite 3D. This could be attributable to my progressive tri-focal glasses though. 3D viewing requires perfect head-tilt alignment. :(
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:25:36 PM by jharr »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »

I think the images need to be in the right order for each method. With the binocular method the right eye looks at the right image and the left, the left. In the cross-eyed method, the right eye looks at the left image and the left the right. So you need to have them arranged so that the right eye is looking at the image taken with the right lens and the left the left.

I think these are arranged for binocular viewing (like with a viewmaster or sliding viewer). When I look at them cross-eyed I get an effect, but it isn't quite 3D. This could be attributable to my progressive tri-focal glasses though. 3D viewing requires perfect head-tilt alignment. :(

Hey, now that you mention it you're right! The crosseye method gives me an effect, but it's kind of like a weird "backwards" 3D image. I'm gonna try rearranging them in PS and see what difference that makes.

Using the binocular method on this pair, I can "start" to create the 3D image, but just can't quite make it to the point that the 2 images are perfectly superimposed :(

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 07:48:23 PM »

Hey, now that you mention it you're right! The crosseye method gives me an effect, but it's kind of like a weird "backwards" 3D image. I'm gonna try rearranging them in PS and see what difference that makes.

Using the binocular method on this pair, I can "start" to create the 3D image, but just can't quite make it to the point that the 2 images are perfectly superimposed :(

Nope, rearranging the images didn't help :D Now it actually looks like those branches in the distance are in front of the sign  ???

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 07:49:25 PM »
Also, now my eyes hurt from crossing them so much ;D

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 08:50:20 PM »
It's like a Dali 3D photo!  :o
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 09:01:07 PM »
I've never been able to do the free viewing trick.
So here's Becky's picture as an anaglyph
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 09:50:12 PM »
I shot these to be bino version.
Right is right and left is left.
Crossing your eyes will make them wonky.

To free view without a "viewer"  you need to be just the right distance from them.   Relaxing is the key.
It took me about 10 minutes to "train" myself to do it the first time, afterwards I can see the 3D almost instantly.

Practice....  and if you look at my original posting of the pair, don't cross your eyes.    8)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:53:28 PM by astrobeck »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 10:40:23 PM »
Crossing your eyes will make them wonky.

Said every mom ever!
Flickr
Blogger

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 11:53:05 PM »
I've never been able to do the free viewing trick.
So here's Becky's picture as an anaglyph

Thanks! I bought a few pairs of glasses after Sandeha's pictures forced me to buy a stereo camera (it's all your fault, Sandeha!). I'm having fun with these images....what are you guys using to make the anaglyphs?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »
I'm using the stereo photo maker found here
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/
It's the best one I found so far. Making perfect anaglyphs with it is as simple as 123
And the best part for me is the auto align feature. It auto rotates and aligns the images so they register perfectly.
And it also can adjust the gamma so that both the red and the cyan eye have the same image density.
Francois

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
Thanks Francois!

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
I bought a few pairs of glasses after Sandeha's pictures forced me to buy a stereo camera (it's all your fault, Sandeha!). I'm having fun with these images....what are you guys using to make the anaglyphs?

Obviously Chad, if you enjoy it then I'll be happy to take full credit.   ;D

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 07:24:53 PM »

Obviously Chad, if you enjoy it then I'll be happy to take full credit.   ;D

You're in luck! I developed the first roll through my Revere 33 last night (FPP Retrochrome/Ektachrome) and mounted two frames in the only reusable (metal) mount I have. This simple picture of the flowers in my front yard has me excited about other shots...I can't wait for my plastic RBT slide mounts to arrive.

Unfortunately, I have a frame spacing issue with my Revere that I need to investigate, I could tell it was skipping sprockets while winding in the latter part of the roll and messed up a few pictures before I caught it and slowed down on my advancing.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:26:25 PM by thatguychad »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
I know I just loved my experience with the Holga Stereo Pinhole camera. I wrote an article about it in the articles section.
http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=9171.0
Francois