Author Topic: Instax Square is a digital camera???  (Read 1796 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
Instax Square is a digital camera???
« on: April 19, 2017, 12:31:21 PM »
Apparently so, though they're calling it a hybrid.

https://www.fujifilm.eu/eu/news/article/instax-square-sq10-the-first-square-format-hybrid-instant-camera
https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/fujifilm-instax-square-sq10/preview/

It's a 1920x1920 pixel digital camera which prints out on Instax Square film once you've done your effect filters and stuff.

Oh dear. I've been toying with the idea of an Instax to play with but had been waiting for this, but given the pricing in the second article it'd be cheaper to buy a Sofort!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Instax Square is a digital camera???
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »
I'd heard that they were bringing out a square format and was also thinking about getting one.  I still might.  However, it's a real pity that this isn't just a simple variant from the film Instax range.  I think there's a printer that will produce "instant" photos from iPhones (etc).  Maybe this is Fuji's way of ensuring they don't miss out on some of that market - without having to cart a separate printer around.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 01:12:47 PM »
Do we know if it's actually film or just some sort of dye sub printer paper with a border? If it's film, the size might make it possible to convert a 6x6 native camera to use it properly.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »
This is starting to remind me of the new polaroids with the zink paper....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 10:10:15 PM »
its actual film I think? there is also a rumour they are bringing out an all analogue version more similar to the other instax cameras... which doesn't have all the digi parts... watch this space I guess...

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:18:59 AM »
yes, it is both. Lets see if their plans changed like they did in 1999. Instax was always designed as a hybrid format. One of their earlier cameras the PR-21 was a digital camera with built-in printer.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 09:19:55 AM »
its actual film I think?
yes light sensitive photo film :D
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 02:09:38 PM »
I hope those folks from Ukraine who have the Kickstarter campaign for a simple folder using the Instax Mini will move on to a box style camera for this film when it comes out. The diagonal is almost 88mm for this format so a lens FL between 80~100mm should suffice, the lens should be able to focus, a simple single rotating thread should do it. I'm really not sure a single element lens of that FL can cover that wide an angle, they have a 110mm FL lens on the current Mini film camera and that is close to a 60mm lens on 35mm in angle of view.