Author Topic: "Fruticonol" developer  (Read 2076 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
"Fruticonol" developer
« on: April 13, 2017, 04:23:45 AM »
Someone in a movie film group I follow developed Kodachrome 25 with Blackberry leaves.  I wonder how it would work with other films, there are plenty of blackberry leaves where I live.  This is the recipe he posted. 

'Fruticonol' film developer
First picture of film on the dryer after being developed in a developer made from Blackberry (Rubus fruticosus) leaves.
Blackberry leaves contain Hydroquinone, a commonly used developing agent.
Kodachrome 25, Double 8mm film, expired 1983
Developed for 15 minutes at 30 degrees C.
I used 1 doggie bag of Blackberry leaves
2 Litres boiling water for 30-40 mins
strain and filter off 800ml
added
 - 50g Sodium Carbonate anhydrous,
 - 15g Ascorbic acid
 - Water to make 1 litre

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: "Fruticonol" developer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 04:34:18 AM »
Coffee and blackberries (*leaves) can be used to develop film?? This is starting to sound like breakfast  ;D Throw in some eggs, pancakes, and syrup and let's have a developing party!! ;D ;D ;D

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 04:43:15 AM »
Coffee and blackberries (*leaves) can be used to develop film?? This is starting to sound like breakfast  ;D Throw in some eggs, pancakes, and syrup and let's have a developing party!! ;D ;D ;D

Don't forget beer for breakfast.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 04:55:09 AM »

Don't forget beer for breakfast.

Breakfast of champions :D

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 06:32:54 AM »
plus some weeweenol as appetizer?

hidaniel

• 35mm
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »
Curious to see what this turned out like. Link to the forum with images?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »
If somebody manages to make some bagelonol, let me know ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »
Curious to see what this turned out like. Link to the forum with images?

It's was in a Facebook group so I'm not sure you can view it.  This is a link to his facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/adycousins?lst=1835383186%3A582718948%3A1492094800

It sounds like the negatives were dark, similar to Kodachrome in Rodinal.  I think it has good potential for black and white film but the recipe may still need to be refined some. 

adycousins

• 35mm
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 11:33:23 PM »
Yes, it certainly works. So far I've only tried developing very expired Kodachrome 25 and 40 using it, so I'd normally expect to see dark negatives - both films were shot at 10ASA and expired in 1985/6. Really I should have gone for 5ASA. I've also used some of the leaf extract to make a reversal first and second developer and tested this on 1981 expired K40 Super 8. The film came out looking quite pushed, I suspect that shooting at 5ASA will produce better blacks - the results were very similar to those obtained using my Caffenol reversal formula, hitting the emulsion with more light improved the density in that case. I neglected to weigh the bag of leaves and properly measure the water quantities, so I'll do that with the next batch and post the details and the results here. I plan to test Fruticonol with some Kodak SO-078, Tri-X (16mm), and also test it as a first developer with some Kodak 7240 (VNF-1). Rubus Fruticosus is one of a small number of plants whose leaves contain Hydroquinone, but I've not managed to find any references to how much the leaves contain. So far I've processed 100 feet of Super 8 K40 using one 800ml measure of extract, it seems quite effective (and its free).

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 02:09:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum adycousins!  I look forward to seeing how you refine the formula.