Author Topic: New at film developing + scanning.  (Read 4853 times)

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
Re: New at film developing + scanning.
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2017, 07:36:46 PM »
Thank you for the advice!

I did try something different last night while developing a roll of Kentmere 100... I didn't add the Ilfostop bath, instead I just rinsed with cold water for 30 seconds or so before adding the fixer.

I'm very happy since no weird spots or watermarks were left on my negatives, as opposed to every time I've used the Ilfostop.

closeup
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr

pine cone
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr

I really like the results I got from Kentmere 100, and for nearly half the price of Neopan...

Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2017, 04:35:16 AM »
Just thought of something, in relation to my own process as well as to the question of Miguel's odd batch of film. I assume old fixer (ie, used multiple times) takes longer to clear/fix than freshly mixed fixer? I'm assuming this because there would be fewer molecules of oxidized (reduced? this always confused me in chemistry class as well) fixer to interact with the silver in the emulsion. My question is, HOW much longer? Assuming the "old" fixer still passes a hypocheck, do I need to add fixing time as the fixer sees more uses? Maybe I should go back to 6 minutes to be safe ...

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2017, 04:36:27 AM »
OR, I could just do a damn leader test with some old fixer and find out myself  ::)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »
Just thought of something, in relation to my own process as well as to the question of Miguel's odd batch of film. I assume old fixer (ie, used multiple times) takes longer to clear/fix than freshly mixed fixer?

Yes it does. I normally throw it away once the clearing time is double what it was when fresh. And I always fix for double the clearing time of 'used' fixer to make sure it's fixed (2 minutes in my case).
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."