Author Topic: Leatherette Replacements - Where to buy?  (Read 1377 times)

GrainTrain

Leatherette Replacements - Where to buy?
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:33:03 PM »
I apologize in advance for asking a question that has inevitably been answered over and over.
I am looking to replace the leatherette on my M2, as it is looking quite sad in its current state. A quick google search brings me to cameraleather.com. If anyone has experience with them I'd be interested to hear your input as well as any alternatives out there.

Thanks!

BernardL

• 35mm
Re: Leatherette Replacements - Where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »
As you probably know, cameraleather generates mixed opinions from customers. An alternative source is
http://aki-asahi.com/store/
If you don't find your camera, see also:
http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/no_cut_leather/UncutLeather.php

GrainTrain

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »
Much appreciated, I will give that a look as well.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 07:58:57 PM »
Cameraleather's site has been broken for years, which is not exactly what I consider a good sign. I ordered from them once and actually got what I ordered in a reasonable time, but some haven't. Regardless, I've ordered twice now from Hugo Studio (http://hugostudio.com/) and been very pleased. Quick, communicative, high quality. Recommended.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 09:14:57 PM »
Avoid cameraleather.com. I ordered some CiroFlex leather from him years ago and never saw it. I contacted him several times after the order. The first time, he apologized and asked for pictures of my CiroFlex to verify which model it was. I gave him pictures and never heard from him again, despite several further attempts.

On the other hand, I've ordered from aki-asahi.com (Japan) and hugostudio.com (USA) with great results. Both were shipped promptly and arrived quickly.

Aki-asahi.com has some models that hugostudio doesn't have, and probably vice versa, but both have Leica leather kits.

GrainTrain

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 03:21:49 AM »
Avoid cameraleather.com. I ordered some CiroFlex leather from him years ago and never saw it. I contacted him several times after the order. The first time, he apologized and asked for pictures of my CiroFlex to verify which model it was. I gave him pictures and never heard from him again, despite several further attempts.

On the other hand, I've ordered from aki-asahi.com (Japan) and hugostudio.com (USA) with great results. Both were shipped promptly and arrived quickly.

Aki-asahi.com has some models that hugostudio doesn't have, and probably vice versa, but both have Leica leather kits.

Well I will definitely be avoiding cameraleather.com after reading this, I'm glad I asked! Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, this probably saved me a bit of a headache.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 07:14:29 AM »
I have bought from Aki-asahi several times, fast shipping, and what I got was top quality.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 05:27:48 PM »
Another vote for Rikuo Nakamura at Aki-Asahi from me though his colour range seems to have reduced since I've been using him. He also usually sends a free extra 'practice' cover which sometimes is another exactly the same or sometimes the same cover in a different colour. Shipping to the UK usually takes 7 to 10 days.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."