Author Topic: Scanning 35mm - odd image size  (Read 3611 times)

Klaus

• Using 35 and 120, currently
Scanning 35mm - odd image size
« on: March 17, 2017, 11:16:25 PM »
I was playing with the GW690iii and a 35mm spool converter. Produced a few images to test this out - image is roughly 4 x 9 cm. BTW, developed my first film in over 10 years. Kentmere 400 in Ilfosol3 for 7 minutes.
Now scanning .... using the Epson V500 with the negative carrier that takes 6x9 120 rollfilm. Fixed the 35mm strip (2 images) but getting an individual image scanned seems to be difficult, i.e. scanner grabs image across the two frames, neither is complete. Is there an easier way of scanning odd sizes? Also keeping the 35mm flat in the 120 holder is difficult.
Perhaps I am missing something? Or what would you recommend?

NB. meant this for the main forum but don't know how to move it. Also I'd like to include the sprocket holes in the scan ....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:27:53 PM by Klaus »

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Re: Scanning 35mm - odd image size
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:07:10 AM »
Well of course it's not going to stay flat when you put it in a holder it's not supposed to be in.

Looking for possible solutions, I found this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gvelasco/5424714449

But that requires you to cut up the slide holder.

Klaus

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:29:33 AM »
Thanks for that, yes I was thinking about some anti glare glass for flattenig the neg
But the mod to film holder shown seems to be the easiest way. The section for framed slides of which I have very few so messing about with that part would be ok.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:32:39 AM by Klaus »

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 06:08:42 PM »
I do not know the V500, but I suspect the holders are somewhat similar to the V750 which I have got. To me this sounds like you need a scanning software that will let you decide the size and shape of the scan area, something like Silverfast for example.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 06:54:23 PM »
I have a V500. It came with 35mm holders, do you not have them? I don't think you can get them anymore, I looked briefly because one side of my holder is broken, and I couldn't find any. You may be able to get away with simply placing the negs on the glass and closing the lid, I do this with 5x7 negs and it works well, though that may have to do with the larger size...

As for selectable scan area, the bundled Epsonscan software (which I do believe is still available for download from Epson's site) allows you to select the scan area by unticking the "thumbnails" checkbox at the bottom.

Good luck!

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:26:30 AM »
As for selectable scan area, the bundled Epsonscan software (which I do believe is still available for download from Epson's site) allows you to select the scan area by unticking the "thumbnails" checkbox at the bottom.

Good luck!

This is how I have been scanning my wide negatives, standard v750 film holder and the Epsonscan, works ok but kind of slow.
Newer done it with proper Anti-Newton Glass, only with cheep glass (that did not turn out great) but how about getting some cut to fit and use it to keep the film strip flat on the scanner? No need for the holder and it would take any film up to the size of the flat bead.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 11:44:57 AM »
Interesting topic.

I suspect that Epson will still have negative carriers for all their scanners.  The only way to find out is to drop them an email or give their customer service guys a call.

As a slight aside, I used to scan all my own negs (v750 Pro + VueScan) but got very peed off with the sample scan not aligning exactly to all the negatives.  Some would not align at all and others would sit across two or more negs.  I have never been able to remedy this.  However, on the basis that out of 36 shots, I might only really want to post or print 6-10 shots, I use a light panel and a loupe to check sharpness and just select the ones I want and scan them individually.

Recently, I've asked my friend (who processes my negs) to do a small size scan and/or a contact sheet and that acts as a good (and relatively cheap) second opinion on which negs I really want to scan to a decent size.

Keeping 35mm negs flat - even with the Epson carriers - isn't an exact science.  However, I've read a few bits and bobs about the following and they might be of benefit - particularly when using the ANR glass:

http://www.betterscanning.com/
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 01:28:57 PM »
from what I hear the digitaliza scanning mask from LSI are actually pretty decent
/jonas

Klaus

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 08:09:39 PM »
Thanks again for all replies - I still got the Epson film holders, I was just looking for an easy way of scanning a full piece of film, with sprockets, etc. I have already hacked one holder, taking out one of the dividers from the mounted slide section. Just need a suitable piece of glass to keep negatives flat. I have seen film holder copies offered by Chinese sellers on ebay.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 04:55:09 PM »
I have an Epson V500 and use the 120 holder for 35mm. Much simpler than dealing with the 35mm holder.

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 10:07:25 PM »
If you want to include the sprockets, you may get an acceptable result from laying the negs straight on the scanner glass, and unticking the "thumbnails" box in Epson Scan - but your filmstrip will have to be very flat.

For 127 film, I tape the negs to the Betterscan anti-newton glass insert. You could do the same with 35mm, but it is very fiddly
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:08:56 PM by KevinAllan »