Author Topic: Missing DX Code  (Read 1202 times)

Klaus

• Using 35 and 120, currently
Missing DX Code
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:57:39 PM »
I was just admiring one of my latest purchases: 10 rolls of EFKE KB 25. Noticed no DX code. Now in the old days when I rolled my own I also had a range of DX labels. For my F60 I believe that the default setting is 100 ISO without code, so all I need is to set exposure compensation by +2, i.e. over-expose by two stops, equals 25 ISO. Am I right? Digital has fogged my brain ....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:00:03 PM by Klaus »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Missing DX Code
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 11:06:10 PM »
Correct. +2 will get you from 100 to 25.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 01:15:59 PM »
I'm surprised that the F60 doesn't have a DX override....
On both the F601 and the F90 you can do it.
On the F90 you just hold the DX button and use the thumb wheel.
Of the F601 you first turn off DX by holding the ISO button and the yellow button on the trigger side, then you use the ISO button and the thumb wheel to select what you want.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 03:03:13 PM »
I just checked and to my surprise the F60 doesn't allow to set the ISO manually!
Strange...

But there's one thing you could do!
Just scratch off the contacts on the cans using an utility knife and some sandpaper (dremel?)

If you look in the articles section, in the early days of the forum I wrote a long piece explaining how the contacts should be set.
And you can compare with a known cassette for the exact location.
Francois

Klaus

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 08:37:27 PM »
I just checked and to my surprise the F60 doesn't allow to set the ISO manually!
Strange...

But there's one thing you could do!
Just scratch off the contacts on the cans using an utility knife and some sandpaper (dremel?)

If you look in the articles section, in the early days of the forum I wrote a long piece explaining how the contacts should be set.
And you can compare with a known cassette for the exact location.

Thanks for this and all other replies - found the manual eventually and yes it won't work without DX code! Did search the board but didn't look too hard.

Anyway, a quick web search revealed a DX code generator so I printed a paper version for ISO25, cut out the contact areas, and sandwiched some kitchen foil with another piece of paper. Fixed to the film cannister with glue stick which I can then easily pull off and glue to the next roll.

All I need now is some decent weather to allow handheld shooting, don't fancy carrying a tripod to everywhere.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 09:15:36 PM »
That'll work too.
Francois

Klaus

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »
That'll work too.

It definitely does !