Author Topic: Risen from the Grave...  (Read 2409 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
Risen from the Grave...
« on: March 09, 2017, 01:30:38 PM »
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/holga-cameras

"The original Holga 120N camera is coming back! We have found a factory that obtained the old molds that we thought to be destroyed and this camera is available once again! What was thought to be gone forever is back, pre-order today for delivery in early June."

Now there's a surprise.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Risen from the Grave...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »
Well that is actually a good news!
Let's just hope that the dismantling of the original line wasn't just some fake news used to boost revenue...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
To be honest, I do wonder if they originally closed production just to clear out the stock!

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 03:32:11 PM »
Hopefully they won't resurrect the brightly coloured models.  they were xxxxing horrible.

I bought a few off a wholesaler when I heard that the factory was stopping production so I have enough holgas to last me til I'm 97 and a half.

I did think about buying all the wholesaler's stock (he had 50 or so) and setting myself up as the Holga baron of Broxbourne, selling them on Ebay for a king's ransom in a year or so.  I thought better of the idea thank God.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
Charles, I was wondering if you'd managed to sell the ones you'd bought or if you'd be left with a glut on your hands.

The "new" ones are about $40 (£32 ish) so is there a "premium" to be had on the "originals" before the new ones arrive onto the market?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 05:01:19 PM »
Paul

I bought 8 in the end, one of which I sold to you, but the rest I'll keep. I think my total holga count is 12 120N plus two pinholes and a 135BC.

I've been shooting holgas for almost 10 yrs and only one has ever died on me, so I reckon that I should be OK for a while. 

Anyway I'm not paying thirty quid for a crappy bit of plastic, that's just taking the pee. 

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 05:36:40 PM »
Good news indeed. While I haven't shot with my Holgas in quite some time, I am of the firm belief that no photographer should be without, at least, one Holga in their arsenal.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 06:32:07 PM »
Good news indeed. While I haven't shot with my Holgas in quite some time, I am of the firm belief that no photographer should be without, at least, one Holga in their arsenal.
Adam, I never had a Holga in my hands -- could you describe what you like so much about it?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 08:33:45 PM »
Asking what a holga feels like in your hand is a bit like talking about magic... or something.
I've got two 120N and a stereo pinhole one.

These cameras are a bit weird in a sense. Incredibly light but big enough to have a presence when you hold them. One of mine has such a smooth focusing mount that you'd swear it was made by Leica! The other, not as much since it's a painted model.

It's funny 'cause using them you feel like you're always on the edge of disaster but always get something good back. I call it reliable unreliability.
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 09:49:52 PM »
Happy tears... Holgas are what got me into film photography in the first place :')
/jonas

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 10:17:22 PM »
It's funny 'cause using them you feel like you're always on the edge of disaster but always get something good back. I call it reliable unreliability.

that's probably the best description I've ever read about using a Holga!!!
 8)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 10:24:06 PM »
Thank you :)
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 04:21:19 AM »
To be honest, I do wonder if they originally closed production just to clear out the stock!

Maybe. But the market was also saturated, and every new product that they introduced didn't do nearly as well - and then there was the disastrous digital Holga which appeared not too long before they announced they were closing up shop. I think they might have seen there was no way to develop the market, and relying on one product is always a precarious situation. I'm sure there is more to it than just a prank to drive up demand.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 06:45:35 PM »
Adam, I never had a Holga in my hands -- could you describe what you like so much about it?

What Francois stated is quite true. Trying to describe it... hard to do. Shooting a Holga can be like skating on thin ice. But if you do a little prep work, and by prep I mean gaffers tape, you can, 99% of the time, avoid a plunge into the chilly depths of a spoiled roll of film. What I love about shooting with a Holga 120N are the results. I remove the mask, shoot 12 frames per roll and let the heavy vignetting happen. I get a look unlike what I get from any of my other cameras. Yes, it feels plasticky, with good reason as it's a plastic camera. Yes it can be a pain in the butt to load. But it's light, cheap, takes up very little room in my camera bag and again, the results are what I love.

Tread by adoephoto, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »
definitely very light. You can carry it around your neck all day without feeling like the camera tried to rip your head off...
Francois

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 02:06:07 PM »
...You can carry it around your neck all day ...

Just make sure you tape the door clips so that the dreaded "My strap popped the clips and the back came off" doesn't happen.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 08:51:14 PM »
Well... those cameras were originally blamed for the gaff tape shortage of 2006  ;D
Francois

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 04:23:04 AM »
Hmmm...I am may need to add another.