Author Topic: Get those Instamatics out!  (Read 1737 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Get those Instamatics out!
« on: March 04, 2017, 03:20:16 PM »
Here's good news for the Instamatic aficionados out there.
We all tried at least once to open and close those darned 126 cartridges to refill them with varying levels of success. Well life just got a whole lot easier.
This guy designed a new cartridge that is actually built just for that. Easy to open, easy to close, easy to refill.

Check it out
http://www.diyphotography.net/time-bust-instamatics-now-can-load-35mm-film-using-adapter-kit/
! No longer available
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
Re: Get those Instamatics out!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
I slit and load Minox 8X11, but this is too much hassle even for a Instamatic 500. Me thinks whoever makes the Lomo 110 film needs to look into 126 size. At least with my IIIs I have a high quality camera (such as it is) to reward my extra work to slit and load my own film.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
It won't work with the Instamatic 500 from Kodak. That requires the 126 perforations. Regular 135 perforations catch and tear and it turns into a big mess. So what I need is an accompanying 126 perforator. But I'm working on that.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 04:40:07 AM »
It won't work with the Instamatic 500 from Kodak. That requires the 126 perforations. Regular 135 perforations catch and tear and it turns into a big mess. So what I need is an accompanying 126 perforator. But I'm working on that.
Conventional loading of unprefed 35mm with backing paper would seem to me like less work. A pin registration punch for the perfs could be built I think. But so few of the cameras sold for 126 film were of better than snapshot quality. True, there was the Kodak reflex and I think Rollie made a SLR too. But of course somewhat limited and complex leaf shutter designs.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »
Using a board where you stretch the film, sandwich it with another board that has holes in it and use something like a nail with the end cut flat to punch out the holes.

The board sandwich could be made light tight with some molding around the main plank.
A steel strip with holes under the film could ensure that the holes are clean.
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 03:48:12 PM »
Using a board where you stretch the film, sandwich it with another board that has holes in it and use something like a nail with the end cut flat to punch out the holes.

The board sandwich could be made light tight with some molding around the main plank.
A steel strip with holes under the film could ensure that the holes are clean.
I did something very similar to this with a cardboard jig and a 1/8" hole punch. It would be easier with something sharp like a leather punch and making the jig out of something 'unpunchable' would bring more consistency.

http://jamesharrphoto.blogspot.com/2014/10/perforating-126-film.html
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 08:44:15 PM »
I remember you did something like that a while back...
Francois

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 11:49:09 PM »
I wish someone could make 110 film cartidges and film easier to reload.  :(

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »
I wish someone could make 110 film cartidges and film easier to reload.  :(
you could get into 16mm cameras instead?
/jonas