Author Topic: In the blue briny  (Read 1460 times)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
In the blue briny
« on: March 02, 2017, 02:45:19 PM »
I'm  off to Barbados at the end of the month and last year when I was there regretted not getting a camera to shoot while snorkelling.
So I was wondering if any one has anyone shot underwater and do you have any  recommendation as what to shoot with.
 From what I can see it's either go for the cheapo £10 - £50 type or spend £150+ to get something which would be more appropriate for scuba diving.
Any ideas and any tips would be gratefully recieved :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: In the blue briny
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »
Lara and I did the PADI underwater photographer course and we bought a little Fuji digital point and shoot and dedicated housing.  The results weren't bad but everything revolves around the depth to which you'd be diving.  If you're only snorkelling, it won't be an issue, though.

I have a friend at work whose hubby is a dive master and has a Nikonos + lenses / strobes which he "might" be prepared to sell - though I've no idea how much he might want for it.  I've asked her to ask hubby and see if it's for sale and, if so, how much he's asking.  I've moved quickly as they're about to go to Cuba this weekend for almost 3 weeks (back 29/03) which might be too late for you.

There's absolutely no pressure if you're not interested but it would be a great piece of kit and I doubt it'd be massively expensive if he's prepared to part with it.  He uses a big Canon DSLR and bespoke housing / strobes these days, so it's probably in the spare room from one year to the next....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 06:38:29 PM »
Thanks Paul you're a gent.
We're off on the 22nd so unless we could get sorted before they go it'll be to late. If you do get a response, dm me.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 07:14:56 PM »
Thanks Paul you're a gent.
We're off on the 22nd so unless we could get sorted before they go it'll be to late. If you do get a response, dm me.

No problem, Irv.  I'll know, one way or the other, tomorrow as my friend / colleague is off on holiday from tomorrow and won't be back in the office until 29th.  If the kit is for sale, she's bringing it in and I'll be safeguarding it (or selling it it, if you're interested).  I'll PM you tomorrow to let you know one way or t'other.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 07:17:45 PM »
On a trip with family to Turks and Caicos I brought along a few Fujifilm disposable underwater cameras with ISO 800 film in them. They were absolute crap underwater, even at low depths so I'd avoid them for snorkeling, but above the water I managed to shoot one of my favorite photos.

Kid Overboard! by adoephoto, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »
You can always check out the Sea & Sea Motormarine series of 35mm cameras.
They also go by the name of Hanimex Amphibian.

Also, there used to be a dedicated film for underwater photography (I can't remember if it was by Kodak or Fuji).
All the shots usually come out looking like poo when you use regular film simply because there is an excess of blue in the images. I remember that the underwater film did make a huge difference.

I have a small Canon digicam that has an underwater white balance mode...

check out this list
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Category:Underwater
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 11:40:32 PM »
You can always check out the Sea & Sea Motormarine series of 35mm cameras.
They also go by the name of Hanimex Amphibian.

Also, there used to be a dedicated film for underwater photography (I can't remember if it was by Kodak or Fuji).
All the shots usually come out looking like poo when you use regular film simply because there is an excess of blue in the images. I remember that the underwater film did make a huge difference.

I have a small Canon digicam that has an underwater white balance mode...

check out this list
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Category:Underwater

Francois, after about 5 metres, you start to lose the red end of the spectrum and everything starts to go blue / green.  However, a decent strobe corrects that (at almost any depth) and you can use whatever film you like.  I've used Portra 400 and 800 and also Fuji 160 and 400.  I'm not even sure that dedicated under water film is still available these days.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 01:14:21 AM »
The Fuji underwater disposables are worthless, you will be disappointed.  If you want to go medium format there's the Siluro Nemrod.  Not the easiest to use underwater camera and I wouldn't take it very deep.  It originally came with a bulb flash which I don't have with mine.  I used Portra 800 in a pool for the photo below, no flash, sunny day. 

Now for the down sides of this camera.  First of all it's much like a toy camera, one shutter speed and a fixed iris.  Second, it leaks by design.  You have to inflate it with a bicycle pump to pressurize it.  You will see bubbles coming out around the lens, when the bubbles stop water is getting in.  You also have to be careful not to over pressurize it, if you do the back cover can blow off and expose the film.  I first did some tests and figured out that three pumps from a small pump, the type you mount to your bike frame, worked for a quick shot.  That allowed me to go under, take a shot, then get it out of the water.  Then I let all the air out before Re-inflating it to avoid over pressurizing it.  I think this was one of the first under water consumer cameras. 

Siluro Nemrod by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Under water pool portrait by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

http://camarasclassicas.blogspot.com/2011/10/nemrod-siluro.html
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:17:00 AM by Bryan »

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 10:30:34 AM »
You have to inflate it with a bicycle pump to pressurize it.  You will see bubbles coming out around the lens, when the bubbles stop water is getting in.  You also have to be careful not to over pressurize it, if you do the back cover can blow off and expose the film. 

A very intriguing design - what the heck was the engineer smoking when they came up with that solution?   ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 02:04:49 PM »
It definitely sounds like one of those "we have a thousand of these and they all leak. Find a way to make them work long enough to sell them."

Though looking at this, I'm pretty sure there's a way to build one for cheap using an existing camera and some PVC pipes.
Check on instructables, I'm pretty sure someone built one.
Francois

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »

Though looking at this, I'm pretty sure there's a way to build one for cheap using an existing camera and some PVC pipes.
Check on instructables, I'm pretty sure someone built one.

Although I'm a plumber by trade I somehow don't think that I'll be doing that Francois ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 08:17:02 PM »
Well, ya never know ;)
One thing's for sure, it can't be that complicated...
Francois