Author Topic: Britain in Focus - New BBC Series  (Read 2589 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Britain in Focus - New BBC Series
« on: March 01, 2017, 11:17:23 AM »
BBC4 is to start a new series hosted by Eammon McCabe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=britain+in+focus

Starts Monday 6th March 2017 at 21:00
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: Britain in Focus - New BBC Series
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:33:58 PM »
Very nice indeed. Definitely one for iPlayer over the coming weeks, then. Thanks for the heads-ip, Paul :-)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 03:11:29 PM »
I saw a clip of the one involving the Wet Plate photographer on Twitter the other day  looks like it could be a nice little series

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »
B****r. Missed it. iplayer it is then.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 06:25:09 PM »
It was excellent, IMO.  Recorded it and I'm keeping it until it comes out on DVD. 

There's another in the season on Wednesday night (about 9 o'clock, I think) - The Man Who Shot Tutankhamen.  All set to record  ;)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 07:11:54 PM »

Ah, it's repeated Thu 9 Mar 2017 00:05

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 07:16:18 PM »

Ah, it's repeated Thu 9 Mar 2017 00:05

Peter - Yes, but if it's anything like the other late night / early morning repeats on BBC, you get someone "signing" in the bottom right hand corner.  That's very useful for the deaf / hard of hearing but it does nothing for my enjoyment.  Probably better off the iPlayer.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
I really enjoyed it.  A very thoughtful, well presented programme and some wonderful works of early photographers.  Julia Margaret Cameron's print of  Sir John Herschel was a masterpiece. As were the landscapes of the Norfolk Broads

The presenter was also very engaging and as picture editor of the Grauniad was clearly someone who really understood and cared about the subject.  Though I was a bit disappointed to see him use a Canon DSLR rather than an obviously superior Nikon DSLR but maybe that's the Grauniad for you. 

;)

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 09:04:28 PM »
But he did use a Fuji GW690III which pleased me because even my wife said he's got a camera like yours

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 03:13:45 PM »
I watched my recording of "The Man Who Shot Tutankhamun" last night.

It was about a chap called Harry Burton who was only one of two people in Howard Carter's team who stuck with him throughout the whole 10 year period from discovery of the tomb to the completion of photographing and cataloguing.  What a photographer...!

He used a 10x8 camera with wafer thin glass plates which he processed in an adjacent tomb and, almost unbelievably, managed to avoid almost any dust / sand, crud, etc, getting onto the plates themselves. Although film was available, the belief is that it wasn't as stable as the glass plates of the time.

Modern-day photographer Harry Cory Wright accompanied the presenter and set up his 10x8 Gandolfi (also using a bit thicker glass plates) to try to get some idea of the complexity and conditions experienced by Burton.  He produced some fine photos but, despite processing his plates in the same tomb as Burton had done, and taking great care, Wright's plates weren't nearly as clean as Burton's. 

For anyone who missed it, I recommend you get it on the iPlayer as it's a fascinating piece of history, whether you're into photography, or not.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 03:37:40 PM »
I wish I could see this! :-\

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »
I watched my recording of "The Man Who Shot Tutankhamun" last night.

It was about a chap called Harry Burton who was only one of two people in Howard Carter's team who stuck with him throughout the whole 10 year period from discovery of the tomb to the completion of photographing and cataloguing.  What a photographer...!

He used a 10x8 camera with wafer thin glass plates which he processed in an adjacent tomb and, almost unbelievably, managed to avoid almost any dust / sand, crud, etc, getting onto the plates themselves. Although film was available, the belief is that it wasn't as stable as the glass plates of the time.

Modern-day photographer Harry Cory Wright accompanied the presenter and set up his 10x8 Gandolfi (also using a bit thicker glass plates) to try to get some idea of the complexity and conditions experienced by Burton.  He produced some fine photos but, despite processing his plates in the same tomb as Burton had done, and taking great care, Wright's plates weren't nearly as clean as Burton's. 

For anyone who missed it, I recommend you get it on the iPlayer as it's a fascinating piece of history, whether you're into photography, or not.

I saw it too.  Well worth watching as Burton was clearly a master of his art.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »
This week's episode (2 of 3) was also excellent.

I know we seem to enjoy getting on the BBC's case about a number of things but, for me, they've hit the sweet-spot with this series.  Eammon McCabe is, also in my view, an inspired choice for presenter as he encourage those he's talking with to explain their position  rather than promoting his own agenda.

There's an evening of photography-based programmes on BBC4 tonight - starting at 20:30 and concluding at 20:30 with "We'll take Manhattan" - a documentary about David Bailey and Jean Shrimpton.  I've seen it before but I'm gonna watch it again.... :)

Mike40

• 35mm
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »
Absolutely agree with everything said about this series and the presenter - but 'We'll Take Manhatten' is actually a drama rather than a documentary.  However it certainly capture the spirit of the times, is a joy to watch somebody using a 'proper' Pentax and has the delightful Karen Gillan......what more could one ask?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
Absolutely agree with everything said about this series and the presenter - but 'We'll Take Manhatten' is actually a drama rather than a documentary.  However it certainly capture the spirit of the times, is a joy to watch somebody using a 'proper' Pentax and has the delightful Karen Gillan......what more could one ask?

Yes, realised I'd said documentary instead of drama / story as soon as I'd hit the button.  It's a really enjoyable piece of work and, as you say, some proper Pentax.  I can't remember specifically but isn't this the one where he also shoots about 30 frames on a Rolleiflex (without reloading)? 

I'm out at the launch of an exhibition of "Jazz" photos by Jim Marshall tonight, so I might have to download the programmes off the iPlayer.....

Mike40

• 35mm
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »
Well, not only was karen gillan a joy to watch as ever but preceeded by 'Photographers at the BBC' that contained fascinating footage of Cartier-Bresson in action, capering about in the street like some ballet dancer on speed and a revelatory sequence of Larry Burrows that exposed the dichotomy within every combat photographer but - more importantly - the simple humanity of the man.  A sad loss and always dogged by the untrue claim that it was he who 'ruined' Capa's D-Day pictures.

Good filmwasting this weekend - Mike.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 09:11:08 AM »
Well, not only was karen gillan a joy to watch as ever but preceeded by 'Photographers at the BBC' that contained fascinating footage of Cartier-Bresson in action, capering about in the street like some ballet dancer on speed and a revelatory sequence of Larry Burrows that exposed the dichotomy within every combat photographer but - more importantly - the simple humanity of the man.  A sad loss and always dogged by the untrue claim that it was he who 'ruined' Capa's D-Day pictures.

Good filmwasting this weekend - Mike.

Mike40; Spot on. 

I managed to get home in time to see this and will be watching it again over the weekend.  Loads of really interesting and historic sequences.  I must get one of those "Norman Parkinson" hats, though.....

Ricardo Miranda

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 12:03:50 AM »
Last night there was also a documentary following Dougie Wallace, part of the "What do artists do all day?".
That was very nice.

Mike40

• 35mm
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.......love street but don't think this is the way to do it (personal opinion).......however, there's an article on the BBC website for those interested further:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1DBL8ZdMVwYcrNQB0kGQkZ4/confronting-the-one-per-cent-the-glaswegian-photographer-snapping-londons-super-rich?intc_type=promo&intc_location=news&intc_campaign=glaswediansnappingthesuperrich&intc_linkname=bbcarts_fac_article

.....memo to self: put some b & w in the SV and get out there this week!!

Mike.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 10:21:27 PM »
Last night there was also a documentary following Dougie Wallace, part of the "What do artists do all day?".
That was very nice.
I installed anonymox for firefox and had a look at it.

I must say that I find the guy's enthusiasm quite fun...
Really gutsy to go in with two flashes and a wide angle lens :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Klaus

• Using 35 and 120, currently
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 08:51:56 PM »
Don't forget to watch BBC4's "Smile! The Nation's Family Album".
Whilst not "high brow" photography it's all about the place of the camera and photo snaps in the everyday life of families.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 10:58:12 PM »
Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.......love street but don't think this is the way to do it (personal opinion).......however, there's an article on the BBC website for those interested further:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1DBL8ZdMVwYcrNQB0kGQkZ4/confronting-the-one-per-cent-the-glaswegian-photographer-snapping-londons-super-rich?intc_type=promo&intc_location=news&intc_campaign=glaswediansnappingthesuperrich&intc_linkname=bbcarts_fac_article

Mike.

I'd never come across this guy before but I've just watched the programme I recorded.  I've never laughed so much for ages (again, personal opinion).  It's probably not "traditional" street photography but I adore the way he gets right into the face of the current uber-chav version of the Knightsbridge set.  What an arrogant, pointless and ugly bunch.  I will definitely be supporting him by buying his book off the Dewi Lewis website.   Good on you, Dougie...!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »
When I watched him work, all I could think about is how much fun it would be to do the same in a way.....
I already have a good 17mm lens and a few old flashes....
Or maybe just tape my 28mm on that setting...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »
The last episode (3/3) was shown last night and I must say that I've really enjoyed every minute of it.  Eammon McCabe, IMO, has been a great guide throughout and I'm just hoping BBC4 will commission more programming on the subject.

There was also mention of another BBC series called "World's Most Photographed" which is 10 (I think) individuals - from Queen Victoria to Hitler to JFK.  It's on the iPlayer, so I set it to download the series last night.   

Ricardo Miranda

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 09:05:05 PM »

Mike.

I'd never come across this guy before but I've just watched the programme I recorded.  I've never laughed so much for ages (again, personal opinion).  It's probably not "traditional" street photography but I adore the way he gets right into the face of the current uber-chav version of the Knightsbridge set.  What an arrogant, pointless and ugly bunch.  I will definitely be supporting him by buying his book off the Dewi Lewis website.   Good on you, Dougie...!

I've met Dougie a few times through a friend of mine usually around the Bick Lane area.
He is a nice guy.
I couldn't do what he does. My way is a lot more subtle.
I also had a good laugh.