Author Topic: Facebook question  (Read 902 times)

chris667

• Peel Apart
Facebook question
« on: February 25, 2017, 07:20:25 PM »
Hello

I am a bit confused, as I have read lots of conflicting advice.

What happens to copyright of your images when they are uploaded to Facebook? Am I right in thinking Facebook has a license to use them without paying you?

I'm not really a fan of Facebook, but I have started dropping in on a local photography club. They seem to upload everything they do there.

I'm not really sure anything I do has commercial value, but it's nice to know where you stand.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Facebook question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
I don't really know as I'm not on Facebook but from what I heard, everything you put on Facebook belongs to them. This includes messages, likes, videos, music, photos. If you could put your dog in their servers they would be the owners of a dog.

And they can use the photos you put there as a marketing tool to your friends.
They can also recognize you with a very high success rate simply by your posture. Their algorithms can detect the style of clothes you wear and use it to categorize your style. By knowing your friends, they can make a nice profile of you. And through their Instagram branch, they can detect the mood you're in with a high degree of precision simply by looking at your picture's metadata.

It's all fascinating but scary stuff when you think about it.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 10:04:43 PM »
This is really a general online sharing question. Could someone take my photo, put their name on it and sell it? Probably. I had to decide at one point whether or not I cared. I don't make my living (or an money at all) from my photos. I don't need or want fame and recognition. I share in order to be part of a community. So if someone in Houston downloads and prints something from Flickr or Facebook or Twitter or Tumblr or ... and they hang it in a gallery and it sells for a few hundred bucks (ha!) I don't really care. If you don't want it stolen, don't put it online. If you are really curious, read the Terms and Conditions document of the site where you are posting. Most likely, the site retains some rights to use your photos on their site or in their advertising, but they probably can't sell it like a stock photo.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:35:25 PM »
And one of the best securities you can have is to always post resized photos that are too small to print with adequate quality.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 02:07:45 AM »
ASMP has varying things to say about Facebook. You can see them here https://www.asmp.org/?s=facebook