Author Topic: Kickstarter alert - Lab Box daylight-loading film tank  (Read 4433 times)

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
Kickstarter alert - Lab Box daylight-loading film tank
« on: February 21, 2017, 05:15:53 PM »
Heads up, ars-imago just launched their Kickstarter campaign for their Lab Box. This is a daylight-loading film development tank akin to the Rondinax, but with multi-format in mind. They have 135 and 120 modules and an expanding reel to accommodate each of those formats.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with the project, I had just been interested in a Rondinax, but they're difficult to find and at least as expensive as the 2-module option for a Lab Box for only a single format.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Kickstarter alert - Lab Box daylight-loading film tank
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 05:44:48 PM »
*Peter will not use this because it involves loading 135 film directly from the film canister ;D

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 05:50:09 PM »
It looks interesting but I can't justify the cost since I already have a full compliment of stainless steel reels that work perfectly fine.  I would also be hesitant to get one until I hear a few reviews of the final product, it just seems like it could have problems, especially with 120 film. 

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »
I'm glad I pledged early, the first 200 for the 120 and 135 modules went within about 20 minutes and the project was fully-funded within two hours!

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 07:05:15 PM »
I must admit that I am a sucker for a film photography related Kickstarter or Indie-go-go campaign. I usually find myself backing them, but I stopped short with this one. My Paterson tanks work just fine and I can develop multiple reels at once, which is an important feature for me. I do wish them luck with this campaign though.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »
My Patersons work well, too, but working in a changing bag isn't my favorite thing. Until my darkroom is complete, I'd prefer to use something like this. There are many times where I'll only shoot a single roll in a weekend, so this will work great for my use case.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »
Been developing film for almost 50 years. Grab my tanks and film, step into the laundry room, close the door. No use paying over $100 to not step into the laundry room and close the door. Of course, if I was just starting out and didn't have any equipment at all, then this could be interesting.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:17:09 PM »
Funny people think this is a new thing when in fact it's not quite so new.
I know Lomo did make a similar tank (I've seen one). I think Premier did too and wouldn't be surprised if Kodak also did.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 10:24:08 PM »
This idea dates back to the 1930s. Rondinax is probably what you're thinking of and those haven't been made since the 1970s.

Patent history here.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:26:34 PM by thatguychad »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 10:27:31 PM »
Yeah, there's also that one.

The only real diff between the kickstarter and the others is the multi format part.
Francois

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 10:33:19 PM »
There are other changes and improvements, and if they driver on their "future developments", there could be some major differences.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:42:56 PM by thatguychad »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 03:00:41 AM »
Been developing film for almost 50 years. Grab my tanks and film, step into the laundry room, close the door. No use paying over $100 to not step into the laundry room and close the door. Of course, if I was just starting out and didn't have any equipment at all, then this could be interesting.
I'm with you John. Being the cheapest skinflint I know, I can't imagine paying that much for a box of darkness when I can have a whole bathroom full of it for free!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »
A lot of money to spend on being able to process one roll at a time. 

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 09:42:25 AM »
Yeah, there's also that one.

The only real diff between the kickstarter and the others is the multi format part.

A Patterson tank is truly multiformat - this gizmo can only process 135 and 120 film.  what about 5x4 or 127 film?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 02:00:28 PM »
Agfa used to have 135 and 120 versions (separately) and I used my friend's a few times.  I really liked it as it meant I could make a cup of tea and enjoy it, in daylight, whilst processing film.  The option to have 120 and 135 modules, and be able to use the same tank, sounds like a good idea to me and I suspect that I'll end up getting a set of these. 
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »
I can imagine somebody who has never developed their own negatives seeing this and thinking it may be a good way to start. Maybe it's the gateway drug of film processing.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »
Aye, it may be, and no doubt good as a teaching tool, but I can pick up a Jobo tank and a changing bag for half the outlay of the full set.

Plus, extra spools?  You can't dry a plastic spool with a hairdryer (they melt easily) and you don't always want to wait until the next day to do roll number 2.

Neat idea, though, and I'm sure they'll do well.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »
The reel on these daylight loading tanks works more like stainless reels than the Paterson ones.
From what I can see, they have a clip on a piece of flexible plastic tied to the center of the reel. The opening where you slip the leader through is slightly narrower than the film to force it into a cup, this makes it slip easily between the ridges of the reel so it can reach the center without binding. Then, as you keep turning the knob, the film settles in the grooves  correctly.
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 07:41:46 PM »
Let's hope they do work as well as stainless.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 09:02:33 PM »
That, I don't know since you can't feel your way around the reel. But I know they do work. The only thing I wonder about is how it will work with ripped sprockets?
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 12:00:52 AM »
I don't see how you get the 120 film started without doing it in the dark. 

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 12:18:59 AM »
And it looks like you have to tear off the backing paper, so no more respooling for 620!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 12:55:24 AM »
And it looks like you have to tear off the backing paper, so no more respooling for 620!

I don't believe it's *required* to tear it, but it's easier for demonstration purposes since you don't have to feed the paper you've pulled through the slot to load it, all the way back through the slot. If you watch the video, it appears that you could skip the tearing if you really wanted to, but you must pull it through the slot in order to feed it into the light-tight chamber.

edit: I've confirmed that I was correct, it's not absolutely necessary to tear the backing paper, but it makes the process a little less cumbersome. I do save my backing paper, but I haven't actually ever re-used it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:19:11 AM by thatguychad »

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 01:25:09 AM »

When you pull the backing paper through the slot, it feeds the film into a lightproof chamber that you close (similar to a bulk loader film gate) when the film is fully loaded. You then pull the lid off, remove the backing paper from the film, and clip the leader onto the end of the film. Re-install the lid, open the light trap, then feed your film onto the reel.

Here's the 120 process in action (video should start at 1:26).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:30:30 AM by thatguychad »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 04:37:19 AM »

When you pull the backing paper through the slot, it feeds the film into a lightproof chamber that you close (similar to a bulk loader film gate) when the film is fully loaded. You then pull the lid off, remove the backing paper from the film, and clip the leader onto the end of the film. Re-install the lid, open the light trap, then feed your film onto the reel.

Ok, now I get it. 

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 11:17:25 AM »
if they solve heating for c-41 an e-6 then I'll be intrigued!
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 03:05:52 PM »
You simply have to do it like when you use a clamshell on a C-41 machine.
You hold the roll tight in your hand and slowly pull the backing paper until you see a bit of the film stick through. While holding it like that you put the clamshell around the film and close it. Then all you have to do is stick it to the card and feed it in the machine.... Similar thing with this tank.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 05:37:04 PM »

Did you notice how the film got kinked at 02:00 - ugh! Think I'll give it a miss.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 09:51:44 PM »

Ok, now I get it.
I still don't buy it. Even with the small amount of film that is sticking out of the light trap at 1:48 you are either hacking off the edge of the first image or at least light piping enough to fog it (seems to me). This would especially be true with something like my Bessa 6x9 where the images get very close to the leading edge.
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 10:34:47 PM »
You do loose a bit more than ¼inch when doing that.
I learned it by looking at the rolls I sent to have processed a few years back. I asked for them to send the film back uncut and was really puzzled by that dark band at the end of all of them...
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 06:08:20 PM »
You do loose a bit more than ¼inch when doing that.
I learned it by looking at the rolls I sent to have processed a few years back. I asked for them to send the film back uncut and was really puzzled by that dark band at the end of all of them...

I wouldn't take that chance, some of my cameras put the last frame dangerously close to the edge too. I also noticed that you have to turn a knob to agitate, why do they not put a blinkin' crank on it so you won't have to ruin your wrist?
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 07:12:08 PM »
I also noticed that you have to turn a knob to agitate, why do they not put a blinkin' crank on it so you won't have to ruin your wrist?

They did.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »
For those in a hurry, they could put a drill attachment too :P
Francois