Author Topic: Spotmatic ...trials and tribulations....  (Read 1527 times)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Spotmatic ...trials and tribulations....
« on: February 21, 2017, 04:37:09 AM »
First of all just let me say I love my new to me Spotmatic F. 
L O V E!
It has the heft of something well made, with real metal and not much fuss and it just works.

I ran a test roll through it the day after I got it and I totally tanked the roll.  I misloaded the film and it did not develop evenly.  In all my time developing film, this is the first time in ages I have misloaded a roll of film in a tank....argh!
So, not to be discouraged, I loaded another test roll and shot it.
The only problem (minor hiccup) is I didn't change the ISO from 400 from shooting the ill fated first roll and loaded 100 speed film for the second test.
This is what happens when you get too excited and don't pay attention to what you are doing.   
Not a biggie really, but that was not really my plan.  :o
Anyway, here are some samples from the second test roll.
They are a bit contrasty for my style of shooting, but I do like the sharpness of the Takumar 55  f/ 1.8 lens that came with the camera.
All of these were taken in Albuquerque on a partly cloudy day.

I know I have been recently smitten with the Olympus infinity 3.5, but there's just something about using an all manual camera with manual focus that makes me happy to be wasting film.
 8)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:43:54 AM by astrobeck »

chris667

• Peel Apart
Re: Spotmatic ...trials and tribulations....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 08:09:31 AM »
Great pictures. And as you know a great camera. They are just about perfect.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:36:42 PM »
Not too shabby, especially the tree one.
I still have to run some film through my Pentax I'm, so I'll see how nice it is.
But I must admit that having something that doesn't feel like it's going to fly out of your hand on a windy day is definitely enjoyable.
What I found is that Araki was right about this one: the camera definitely affects the style of your photos.
I found that using the infinity stylus, I tended to work fast and in a bit more of a gonzo style (at least it felt like that to me).
While when using a fully manual camera I tend to be more focused and slower paced choosing to take pictures that are more static and not as much on the run.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:47:04 PM »
Definitely, Francois. I take far better pictures with the Spotmatic than anything else.

You have to be disciplined and methodical to use one well. They're really great cameras.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 03:42:08 PM »
I think someone once said (famously or not, but I heard it in the late 1970s) that Nikon produce the best lenses, Canon produce the best bodies, and Minolta produce the best compromise.  Which was pretty ignorant even for then, to leave out the Pentax that always had such class in such a tiny package and has created some of the finest and sharpest lenses of all time.  Neglect the Pentax at your peril.

I've had a few Spotties, but in order to use the lenses more easily on later bodies at a certain point I've invariably traded up to M bodies.  The most recently gifted KM is virtually the same as a late Spotmatic on the inside, just a few extras and a different lens mount, and I still haven't used it outside, but that's largely because of the MZ-5n and the MX that are sitting on the table.

Spoilt for choice, really.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
Becky, I hope my well-planned shots are as good as your 'oops' shots! I shunned the Pentax brand for many years, snobbishly favoring Nikon. Then I was gifted a K1000 and I am sure I will shoot that thing until it dies. It is so light! The ergonomics fit my hands well. The glass is sharp (i.e. can't tell the difference between the SMC 50/1.7 and the Nikkor 50/1.4). There is just something(s) about it that I really enjoy. I might spring for a fancy Spotmatic in the future, but I am still in the 'honeymoon' phase with the K1000.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 10:26:35 PM »
Those old Takumars were really something.
I have a 35mm that I use on my Nikon with a reverse adapter for extreme close-up shots and can say it's really incredibly good, even in reverse.
I can just imagine using it the proper way :)

I have a few M42 bodies but they probably were made from tungsten or some other heavy metal!
Francois

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 06:21:42 AM »
Nice, Becky! I especially like that sundial.

I have the same Takumar patiently waiting for my attention, behind a Yashinon that gave me surprising results and a Rokkor that I guessed was a piece of junk but the Interwebs tell me otherwise.

I fondle the Takumar about once a week. :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 10:05:28 AM »
Really nice photos, Becky - keep 'em coming  :)

Camera bodies either "fit your mitt" or they don't. I fount my old S3 (virtually identical to your Spotmatic) to be very solid and reliable.  The Pentax / Takumar lenses I owned were really excellent and I can only surmise that the reason Pentax wasn't as popular as Nikon or Canon is down to (lack of) marketing spend in comparative terms.

Where I lived, I don't recall any of the dealers having much by way of Minolta which is a shame as they also seem to have a cult following.  Again, the power of marketing....?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 03:35:04 PM »
Nice, Becky! I especially like that sundial.

I have the same Takumar patiently waiting for my attention, behind a Yashinon that gave me surprising results and a Rokkor that I guessed was a piece of junk but the Interwebs tell me otherwise.

You should get that Rokkor out and use it, the webs are correct about it being otherwise...I use one for astro shots. It's not bad glass.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 09:01:11 PM »
Don't forget the Minolta was chosen by Leica to produce many of its lenses and cameras, that choice wasn't for nothing.
Francois