Author Topic: Is the Diana Camera underground again?  (Read 4214 times)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Is the Diana Camera underground again?
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:05:01 AM »
What a strange life Diana has had. I'm sure most of us remember a few years back when Diana cameras seemed to have unending popularity - receiving more attention than they had ever gotten in a pre-internet age. Boxed Dianas were selling for $150 and sometimes even more on ebay. Threads about Diana cameras were all across the internet, not just on toy-centric boards. It was really a sort of mania for a couple of years.

Then Lomography introduced the Diana+. And suddenly the market was saturated. Demand was neutralized. In a way the Diana even somehow became un-hip. It was no longer a rare, out of production item, that only people with money to blow could obtain. Prices fell, and fell and fell. And weirdly, it seems a lot of these cameras just came out of hiding as well. Maybe it's just that there are more people online now than there were six or seven years ago - but Dianas used to be relatively uncommon even on ebay. Now there always seems to be some available.

So what now? The cameras are obtainable again. Some of the mystique has gone. So who uses them now? People who're tragically late for the fad, the uncoolest of the uncool, or those who loved them all along whether or not they were the hot thing of the moment on the internet? Where is the future going for Diana? In another ten years when we've mostly all forgotten about the Diana fad, will there be a resurgence? Will somebody out there put together a website with a bunch of cross-processed photos out of a Diana and talk about how important it is that the camera doesn't matter, and just to get out there and shoot with what you've got (but also imply that the camera really does matter, because how else could you appreciate that the camera doesn't matter if you don't have a camera that drives home the point by being fragile plastic, and having a really crappy lens?).

How long until the Diana is enough out of our consciousness to go underground again, come back and surprise everybody?

chris667

• Peel Apart
Re: Is the Diana Camera underground again?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:58:08 AM »
One thing that confuses me about people that profess to produce images on "whatever camera they have to hand". Why aren't those people producing pictures on crap digital point and shoot cameras? And why is there a company selling the "right" cameras to do it?

There are now at least as many digital cameras in charity shops as there are film ones. Will that be the next thing?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:00:25 AM by chris667 »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:46:43 AM »
The Diana is what got me back into photography nearly ten years ago. I had quite a few, a Tru-View being my favorite. But I don't shoot it anymore even if the Diana aesthetic still influences me a lot. For toy shots, I now use the Gakkenflex with a flipped lens. My dirty little secret is I use this app on my phone that replicates the Diana look quite well.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 11:09:14 AM »
I'm proud to be one of the uncoolest. Diana-F #162 with working bulb flash, recently aquired from the auction site for some 100 cents, surely sitting in a junk room for decades, with rusted shutter, reanimated:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:25:12 AM by imagesfrugales »

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 02:40:25 PM »
Ah, the musings photographic. Sometimes fun to engage in. As to the OP's question, well.....never gave it much thought although I do remember the nutty days of 15-20 years ago. Found a Diana clone in a thrift shop for $0.50 once and later sold it for $40 on ebay. Wayback had a Holga but was working full time and had no much time to explore that aesthetic. It is lost in the mists of time. Now retired, (still don't seem to have much time) and experimenting with whatever catches my fancy or I can find in a flea market/thrift store for less than a $10. The closest I have now to an original Diana, format wise, is a Agfa Isoly, a 4X4 that shoots 16 exposures on a 120 roll. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) this was their top model at the time with a 60mm f3.9 triplet and a Pronto shutter with 1/30-1/250 + B and front element focusing to a meter. Very light and plastic wherever it can be except the shutter/lens assembly. And strangely, no PC plug, just a hot shoe. If I want soft and dreamy now I just shoot pinhole on photo paper.
Come to think of it, I also have a late model Box Tengor tucked away somewhere, got to dig that out and try another roll in it. Old 6X9 box cameras also seem to be popular with the goateed, skinny jeans crowd.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:49:11 PM by John Robison »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »
I did notice that the Diana came out of favor. I think we can blame it on Instagram which managed to recreate the look for free.
I also think that when it became popular, there were loads of early lomography style shots that saturated the viewership. Diana became synonymous with bad party pictures. That's what killed the market and the interest in the images that obviously bear its trademark look.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 03:18:32 PM »
My dad was a consummate accumulator of cameras, including a couple of Diana's acquired new from the local drug store for $0.99. Much like John, I sold this one for $50 or so on eBay. Who knew that a leaky, low-fi roll film camera would be an investment vehicle?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:50:19 PM by EarlJam »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »
These are the ones I still have

CC from lower right, the Tru-View (my favorite), reverse-lensed Diana F, Diana with filters, Lomo re-issue pinhole

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 03:02:47 AM »
I still have one that I bought for $1 by luck during the height of the craze. And another I bought a few years ago that I still have (somewhere??? I'm not sure where I put that one). I still like the look. But it seems the cameras have gone into eclipse.

JoeV

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 04:40:57 AM »
Okay, perhaps someone can enlighten me. I know both the Diana and the Holga had an "original" version, then later releases with changes. Can someone list the features of the Diana as compared to the Holgas? I have several Holgas, never owned a Diana; I always assumed they were very much the same in terms of shutter speed, apertures and lens quality. Thanks.

~Joe

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 11:30:49 AM »
Okay, perhaps someone can enlighten me. I know both the Diana and the Holga had an "original" version, then later releases with changes. Can someone list the features of the Diana as compared to the Holgas? I have several Holgas, never owned a Diana; I always assumed they were very much the same in terms of shutter speed, apertures and lens quality. Thanks.

~Joe

I think they're pretty similar. I shot a lot of Dianas and a Holga only once. The Dianas had a lot of variation across individual examples -- I think that was part of the appeal to buy so many, to find one or two you really liked. Not sure if that's true with Holgas.

Also, Diana negs are 4.5cm x 4.5cm, so you get 16 exposures (and waste a bit of film)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »
Lomography did improve on the original quite a bit without seriously modifying the look of the cameras. But all the people who had both tend to say that the new version's lens is not as sweet as the original.
But when comparing the modern one to the Holga, I can say it's smaller than the Holga, the flash sync is better designed (no double flash on shutter release), it has a pinhole feature and the levers are placed in a way that you can't accidentally trip them. It also comes with a neat widget to stick in the shutter to keep the lens open in b mode.
But on the other hand, it feels more fragile than the Holga, the focus is harder to work since it's only on the front of the lens barrel, the film frame is not centered vertically so it's a bit of a hack to print them on an enlarger. To use a flash on the Diana you need a special adapter or their custom flash.

Since I never had an original Diana, I can't compare with one.
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 06:37:45 PM »
I like the original Dianas better, mainly because the lens is better, meaning it is worse as far as focus goes.
But it portrays the world in an expected toy camera way.
Between a Diana and Holga, I much prefer the Holga because it is more "hacker" friendly and easier to modify and work on.
I also have a newer model Diana and like it too, but for different reasons..namely the pinhole feature, so It's like having a 2 n 1 camera.

Joe V , next time we go on a photo walk I'll bring a diana along for you to use.

Francois, really?  You have never owned a vintage Diana?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 09:01:29 PM »
Never have.
I've never seen an original Diana in the province. Gaz stations were too busy giving away mugs and screwdrivers to give people such a nice camera ;)

So far, there's a few cameras in the toy registry that I'd really like to get my hands on. There's the original Diana, the Coronet Commander and the AMI 66.

It's funny because nobody ever mentioned the Fujipet craze that took place a while back?
Francois

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 09:59:43 PM »
I'm with Becki, the original Diana has the better/sweeter because worse lens. Maybe 60 mm focal distance on a 4.5 x 4.5 neg. Mine is a Diana-F with a bulb flash taking AG3 bulbs and works fine with 2 simple AA batteries.

The new Diana-F+ has a 75 mm lens on a 5.2 x 5.2 neg and 4 apertures 11, 16, 22 and 150 (pinhole). The lens can be removed for pinhole pics or exchanged. I also have a 20 mm and 38 mm lens with an additional finder and a 35 mm back for 4 different formats from 24 x 24 to 34 x 52 mm (including sprocket holes) that works extremely well. The electronic flash is very weak and reaches max. 2 metres but has an advantage for shooting people at short distances.

My little Diana shrine, hopefully growing:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/imagesfrugales/sets/72157679763838726

Especially the 38 mm lens is very nice:

rural idyll
by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:02:54 PM by imagesfrugales »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 10:30:29 PM »
Oh, you have the Dreamer clone...
I have a few of the Lomography versions... well sort of.
I have the Parisian version with its white and blue sailor stripes (I got it through the share the love thread). I have the Diana Mini that takes 35mm. I must admit that it's quite nice but I had to fix the shutter once and it's not seen too much film (it needed oil). And I have the Diana Multi-Pinhole operator.
Here is a shot from the mini and the pinhole operator
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 11:37:17 PM »
I have the Dreamer as well.  I got the wide angle lens for it and it is what I use the most with it.
I still prefer the old originals though...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »
I remember looking at a decoration magazine and there was a feature on a lady photo artist who used dianas exclusively. She was written on each one "works" using a marker...
I remember her studio was quite lovely. I remember thinking I'd really like to meet her. She looked like a nice person. :)
Francois

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 05:21:03 AM »
This is an interesting thread, simply because it get's to the heart of trends in cameras popularity and how social media contributes to that.  Since the release of consumer grade mirrorless digital cameras "Street Photography" has become ever so popular.

When was it?  10 years ago maybe: the original Diana cameras were hitting over 200 USD on eBay.  The Fujipet still commands $100 - $200. Now the original Diana can be had for as little as 10 bucks on eBay.....

I've been using the Diana since elementary school (my teacher sent home a form with the request of 50 cents US to teach photography basics and us students received a Diana 151 and 1 roll of B & W film). I also recall when you got a Diana or a Diana variant at a gas station when you filled your tank.

I still own my favorite 151, a Diana F, and a lomo F+. The latter I bought because I just wanted to see the differences...  Of course the original was softer with a little more vignette - but that is what a 50 year old plastic lens on the original Diana will do.  Perhaps when the lomo version hits 50 years old the lens will have the same degradation, but perhaps not as plastics have become 'better'.

The Diana remains to be my favorite camera other than sheet film polaroid cameras - but I don't use the latter anymore due to the excess cost of film on auction sites.

Flippy, don't hold your breath on the question, "How long until the Diana is enough out of our consciousness to go underground again, come back and surprise everybody?"  As films are being discontinued faster and faster and digital reigns supreme the age of the cult camera just may soon be over.....  Remember when the Logo LC-A was the hot ticket? now they are a dime a dozen....

With all that said and as a quiz for low-fi fans (for fun's sake), who can tell which photo I am posting here were taken by a 151, F+ or Fujipet?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:04:23 AM by gregor »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »
Personally, I really don't mind that the Diana's popularity is on the decline since I don't think I've ever done things simply because they were "popular"... maybe except buying a fidget spinner to see what all the fuss was about :)
Francois