Author Topic: Penumbral Eclipse Moon shot  (Read 1741 times)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Penumbral Eclipse Moon shot
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:04:30 AM »
"artistamp" sized penumbral eclipsed moon shot

Photo paper negative cut to single frame 35mm size and shot in camera.
KSX Super (Sears) 35mm camera, with 1.7 lens shot at 1 second hand held to 25mm eyepiece on 80mm refractor (no tracking) telescope.
This is the inverted version.
I only shot one of these since I was in Albuquerque and not at home where I could reload and develop on the fly. I had to nail it...and I got pretty close!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Penumbral Eclipse Moon shot
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
Nice Becky, I had no hope of seeing it last night with the cloud cover.  I need to use my 500mm mirror lens and attempt some moon shots.  What ISO is the paper?

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 06:02:19 PM »
You're amazing, Becky! I would never have thought paper negs of the moon would come out. But wide open, let me guess: 1/250 sec?

(Hey Bryan!)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »
1 second exposure
f1.7

iso 6-ish for the photo paper   not pre flashed

thanks guys!

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:11:17 AM »
Ah, I see I missed that in the original post!

I was guessing ISO 6 for the paper. My last good moon shot was f/8 @ 1/125 @ ISO 200 but without the telescope. My wild-ass guess would have been way off!

Amazed how stable your image is handheld for one second!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 06:07:49 AM »
(Hey Bryan!)

How's it going Jack, miss seeing you on the forum.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:30:46 AM »
Ah, I see I missed that in the original post!

I was guessing ISO 6 for the paper. My last good moon shot was f/8 @ 1/125 @ ISO 200 but without the telescope. My wild-ass guess would have been way off!

Amazed how stable your image is handheld for one second!

Thanks,
I can actually manage (just barely) a 2 second shot hand held, but that's my limit.  It's not easy and the 1 second one is tough in itself...but then I've had tons of practice. Truly, it's all about the breath. 

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 12:25:13 AM »
(Hey Bryan!)

Thanks!

I've been lurking, but busy with work. I've been feeding my gear addiction to make up for not having enough time (or light) to shoot, but it's all second-hand.

I've emptied a handful of cameras recently, all of them loaded for six months or more, so hopefully I'll have something to post soon.

How's your job been? Stateside, or not so much?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 12:58:58 AM »
(Hey Bryan!)

Thanks!

I've been lurking, but busy with work. I've been feeding my gear addiction to make up for not having enough time (or light) to shoot, but it's all second-hand.

I've emptied a handful of cameras recently, all of them loaded for six months or more, so hopefully I'll have something to post soon.

How's your job been? Stateside, or not so much?

I've been working on a large project in Port Orchard, WA.  I'll be there all summer this year like I was last summer.  Getting ready to re-start it if the rain will ever let up.  They were teasing me with a project in Hawaii but I don't think it's going to happen.  That would be nice this time of the year.  I was just talking to another manager that's currently on a project in the U.S. Virgin Islands, I have no sympathy for him.  Can't wait to see what develops with your film stockpile.