Author Topic: Semi-photo-related...  (Read 813 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Semi-photo-related...
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:18:52 PM »
On 1/29 I published a post on my blog that was entitled "Russian Fog". It was about some old Svema I shot and it came out fogged. Nothing very exciting. However, since that post my blog has been getting WAY more hits than it ever has before. Also the hits are coming in weird periodic spikes. Every 3 hours, on the hour I get 35 hits all at once. So here's my question. Did I trigger some government key word combination that is causing them to now put an indexing watchdog on my poor little photo blog? Normally, I wouldn't complain about getting more hits, but this creates so much noise that I can't tell if I am getting any real readers.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Semi-photo-related...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 10:47:02 PM »
That definitely looks like somebody put a cron job on your site.
Do you have a list of the incoming IP's?
If yes, you can use them to track down where the connections are coming from.
It could be a search engine, the internet archive, a bunch of idiots... could be anything.

It could be people trying to find a way in that don't want their brute force attempt noticed too much.
If that's the case make sure you have a strong password. I use Keepass' password generator for times like that.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 10:47:27 PM »
I think Russian Fog is the name of a new line of Ivanka Trump raincoats

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 11:18:48 PM »
I use Keepass' password generator for times like that.

Keepass sounds too much like Keep Ass. I use Lastpass... Either way though a 10 character random password is essentially unhackable. The incoming links are on Russian domains by way of Nigeria. I wonder if it has anything to do with that wealthy Nigerian prince I helped out a few years ago. That guy still owes me $100K. I wonder if he is trying to hack in and give me money?
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:40:07 AM »

Keepass sounds too much like Keep Ass. I use Lastpass... Either way though a 10 character random password is essentially unhackable. The incoming links are on Russian domains by way of Nigeria. I wonder if it has anything to do with that wealthy Nigerian prince I helped out a few years ago. That guy still owes me $100K. I wonder if he is trying to hack in and give me money?

Have a word with Drumpf and see if he can build a cyber-wall around Nigeria (and get them to pay for it) and do the world a favour!  ;D  :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »
I might put a post up on my blog titled Russian Fog add and a little Russian greeting like

прибат.  как дела?  меня завуть чарли. а вас?

See if I get some traffic for once.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 12:08:26 PM »
If you're hosted by Wordpress, this may be relevant: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38930428
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 02:55:24 PM »

Keepass sounds too much like Keep Ass. I use Lastpass... Either way though a 10 character random password is essentially unhackable.
Hmmm....I think I might have over done it on my wifi password.... Do you think a +30 character password that's been completely randomized using collected entropy is too much? ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:41:08 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.