Author Topic: Snow day photography activities  (Read 996 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Snow day photography activities
« on: February 09, 2017, 04:58:52 PM »
1. Take pictures of snow

2. Watch "The Genius of Photography"  (https://archive.org/details/tGoPhoto for non-Brits for whom BBC vids don't play)

3. Daydream of more Kodak film being re-introduced

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: Snow day photography activities
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 05:18:18 PM »
Sounds like a plan. I've seen bits and pieces of the BBC series before, but it's nice to have them all in one place - might need to sit down and watch an episode or two.

I've already got more photos than I need of the landscape around here covered in snow, but I'll have a couple hours tomorrow morning to shoot in Manhattan, so I'm planning to get my fill of it then. I'm hoping the High Line will be open, but we'll see.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »
Thanks for the link, Peter. 

I enjoyed the series first time round.  The British Broadcorping Castration usually does a good job with this kind of thing. Actually, if I remember correctly, it's the series where I first discovered Dorothy Bohm as a photographer, so I will definitely have another look. 
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 06:03:01 PM »
4. Start to make a dent in the backlog of rolls I have to develop.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 06:48:48 PM »
What's a "snow day"??   8)
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
What's a "snow day"??   8)

Kind of like a rain day in San Diego, just a bit colder.  We just had a snow day this week but when you live 2.5 miles from the office it's hard to come up with an excuse not to go in.  I did take a few photos though.  Now it's switched to torrential rain and all the snow is gone.  Maybe we'll have a flood day next. 

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 08:25:55 PM »
Decided to get the printer up and running and do some prints I'd been meaning to do for at least a month. B&W, 5x7 images on 8.5x11 paper.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 09:06:43 PM »
It's starting to feel like every day is a snow day around here...

-watch Frames from the edge by Helmut Newton
-set-up a virtual 68000 mac on my machine (I managed to put system 753 in mini vMac) ... this is probably the ultimate useless time wasting endeavor I've attempted in a long time.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »
It's starting to feel like every day is a snow day around here...

-watch Frames from the edge by Helmut Newton
-set-up a virtual 68000 mac on my machine (I managed to put system 753 in mini vMac) ... this is probably the ultimate useless time wasting endeavor I've attempted in a long time.

Y'see, I was doing okay until I got to that second activity.  I read it, then re-read it and my brain just fried itself  :o  ;)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
That's was a really bad day can do to you...
After fighting with ice everywhere, spreading about 20 lbs of road salt, chipping the rest away with a shovel, getting my car hit by snow clearing equipment while I wasn't even sitting in it, struggling with dad who was in one of those I can't make up my mind days... What was there left to do? Just zone out doing something that doesn't require much brain power.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »
I watched three episodes of "The Genius of Photography". (Does that constitute a half-binge?)

Thanks for the source.  I've been wanting to watch the series since it came out, ten years ago.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville