Author Topic: Interesting Kickstarter  (Read 1773 times)

John Robison

• Sheet Film
Interesting Kickstarter
« on: February 06, 2017, 04:12:25 AM »
There is a KS project, 'Jollylook-the first cardboard vintage instant camera'
Surprised that no one here mentioned it yet.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/971925604/jollylook-the-first-cardboard-vintage-instant-came?ref=hero_thanks

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Interesting Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 04:20:38 AM »
It got mentioned in a thread on a different topic, but probably worth its own thread too.

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=9022.msg121497#msg121497
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 07:07:31 AM »
It got mentioned in a thread on a different topic, but probably worth its own thread too.

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=9022.msg121497#msg121497
No wonder I couldn't find it mentioned. Had not revisited that thread in the last few days.
I backed it when the missus thought it was 'cute'. I'm sure my 5 year old grand daughter will get a kick out of it too.
Kinda of wish they would also offer just the metal bracket/rollers/crank mechanism as a separate item for the DIY crowd.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:13:09 PM »
Argh. Have just signed up to this one, the first time I've gone in for a Kickstarter. Looks nice. Like the hand-crank. Like that it's got the choice of lens or pinhole. We shall see.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 11:56:04 PM »
The grammar geek in me baulks at the line, "Environment friendly - we use less materials than used in the packaging of a regular camera.",  >:( >:( >:( but you can't argue with the figures: "$176,031 pledged of $15,000 goal". Good for them.  ;D

My daughter has an Instax mini camera already, so this would be fun for her/me/us to use, perhaps over the summer. Tempted.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »
If it just wasn't made from cardboard.... I'm afraid it will break at the hinges like any cardboard box that's opened and closed too often and will just end up messy with tape to keep it together.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 03:38:20 PM »
If it just wasn't made from cardboard.... I'm afraid it will break at the hinges like any cardboard box that's opened and closed too often and will just end up messy with tape to keep it together.

I'm in, backer #2811. If, or perhaps when it breaks, I'll remove the metal bracket/rollers/crank and build a more sturdy configuration out of hobby plywood with a shorter lens mounted in a proper shutter. Probably lift the 75mm f6.3 in a Varo shutter off my cheap Zeiss Nettar. Front element focusing and a more reasonable angle of view. That shutter also has a std mechanical cable release socket and I'll equip it with a 1/4-20 tripod tap. The diagonal of Instax Mini is 77mm and of 6X6 is 79mm so any lens that will cover 6X6 should work for the Instax Mini frame.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:40:44 PM by John Robison »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »

I'm in, backer #2811. If, or perhaps when it breaks, I'll remove the metal bracket/rollers/crank and build a more sturdy configuration out of hobby plywood with a shorter lens mounted in a proper shutter. Probably lift the 75mm f6.3 in a Varo shutter off my cheap Zeiss Nettar. Front element focusing and a more reasonable angle of view. That shutter also has a std mechanical cable release socket and I'll equip it with a 1/4-20 tripod tap. The diagonal of Instax Mini is 77mm and of 6X6 is 79mm so any lens that will cover 6X6 should work for the Instax Mini frame.

Yeah, the cardboard seems like it will fail early and catastrophically, but then having the remaining metal pieces will provide a good starting point for a better rendition. John, are you thinking of just range focusing or did you have something else (tlr, uncoupled rf, etc.) in mind?
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 04:48:08 PM »
I don't think cardboard was a good choice for that type of camera, especially for the lens board.  I would be very surprised if the lens stays square with the film for very long, if at all.  They could have at least used a heavier cardboard.  On the other hand, Kodak made many cardboard cameras that still work great today.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »
@jharr asked, 'john, are you thinking of range focusing?'

Yes, focusing by scale should be sufficient. Remember, this is a non magnified image so DOF restrictions are loosened. With a negative that is going to be enlarged you have to select a suitable minimum out of focus spot for depth of field calculations because the original will be magnified when enlarged. With instant pictures, you don't generally enlarge them, they are just at 1X so focusing by estimating the distance and setting it on the scale should work fine, depth of field will cover slight errors in focus settings. In fact, 'zone' focusing should work fine with such a small print.

One problem I see with this camera is that the lens they are using is 110mm. That is really too long/narrow angle for general picture taking (but nice for portraits). A 75mm lens would offer a somewhat more useful angle of view for more general picture taking. I'm thinking the reason they have selected so long a lens is because a simple, single element lens does not have the coverage needed, there would be a lot of fall off (dark corners) with shorter single element lenses. At least, that's my best guess on that.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 06:05:59 PM »
Going by the price they are almost disposable

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk