Author Topic: mini prints  (Read 1358 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
mini prints
« on: February 03, 2017, 05:04:49 PM »
A couple of you mentioned on the weekend thread how you like small prints. I like them too. In the early days of portrait photography (tintypes and daguerrotypes) just about all of the 'prints' were small. I have been contemplating contact printing some 35mm negs. Has anyone done that for display (not just contact sheets)? Also, I used to make 'artist trading cards' with various alt printing techniques (especially cyanotype) which makes it super easy. Does anyone have any interest in a 'trading card' exchange? I know we already do a postcard exchange, so that's why I'm gauging interest and not 'announcing' a trade.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: mini prints
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »
Sounds interesting, James.  Having just acquired a Leica Sofort, I'm really getting into the Instax Mini format and the fact that each is completely unique (okay, I can scan them but you know what I mean) is a bonus.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »
Raising hand!
Me!
Me!
Me!

I have done 35mm size contact prints and done one of prints by cutting, loading and shooting Harman Direct positive paper in my K1000.
The Harman paper is well suited for "instant" prints made in this way...I ruined several before I got an exposure I could live with.
I've been shooting the moon this way for several years now.

The size is actually known as "artistamp" and is a thing.
Put me on the trading card swap list if you make one up.
A couple of samples are below...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:09:23 PM by astrobeck »

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »
Does anyone have any interest in a 'trading card' exchange? I know we already do a postcard exchange, so that's why I'm gauging interest and not 'announcing' a trade.

Sounds like fun, count me as interested.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »
I'm interested since I just started doing contact prints.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 06:28:27 PM »
I'm in got loads of contact prints 35mm and 6x9

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 06:54:10 PM »
smallest prints ive made are the standard ilford 3.5" x 5" specifically for scrapbooking.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 08:20:41 PM »
Although Astrobeck uses Harmon DP paper may I suggest an alternative to DP or to regular B&W negative film. Use regular photo paper for the negative. Cut up regular RC paper to 35mm wide and 60mm long. Load under safelight by laying the strip on the film rails and carefully closing the back. Obviously single shot and the nominal ISO of 6 to 12 can still be exposed in good light handheld with a fast lens. The advantage is very quick feed back and loading and processing can be carried out under safelight. When dry just contact print, emulsion to emulsion on whatever photo paper you desire. Another advantage over film is not having to finish a whole roll to see results. A disadvantage is of course the necessary to return to your darkroom to load another shot. Single shot per outing. The other advantage to to the positive/negative setup is the print is not mirror image like with DP paper. It takes a little longer and you have to use two pieces of paper but you have more control of exposure results.

Just a few musings on the thread. Also sounds like a good winter project.

The paper based negative/positive should also work with some 6X6 and 6X9 cameras if you want a bigger print. The darkroom setup is dead simple, 3 small trays, tongs, some print hanging clips, safelight. Setup in any bathroom you can blackout. You will need a cutter than can produce accurate sizes from 8X10 paper and that can be quite expensive, but a metal straight edge and razor knife can also be used if careful.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:31:37 PM by John Robison »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 09:12:17 PM »
A long time ago I got some mini frames from Ikea that were the exact same size as a 6x6 negative. Had them on a desk for a long time.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 09:39:32 PM »
Much as the idea of doing wet prints appeals to me, it's not likely to happen in the foreseeable future. Is this open to small inkjet prints as well, or just the traditional darkroom methods?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 11:08:26 PM »
Much as the idea of doing wet prints appeals to me, it's not likely to happen in the foreseeable future. Is this open to small inkjet prints as well, or just the traditional darkroom methods?
I wouldn't have a problem with inkjet prints of analog scans, but as long as you are going to the trouble of scanning and printing, you may as well just print a negative and make a cyanotype. No darkroom needed. You can even print the negative on regular paper and wax it for the contact print.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 08:03:42 AM »
I'm trying to make cyanotypes at the minute. So I'd like to do this.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 07:17:58 AM »
Funny enough I just bought an antique Kodak printing set off ebay with the intent of making some 6x9 contact prints. I just need to find some appropriate paper. Anybody have experience with Fomalux?

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 09:42:51 AM »
Funny enough I just bought an antique Kodak printing set off ebay with the intent of making some 6x9 contact prints. I just need to find some appropriate paper. Anybody have experience with Fomalux?
Not used it but love their film, I would give it a try

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk