Author Topic: Photo Safari on the Commodore 64  (Read 1151 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Photo Safari on the Commodore 64
« on: January 25, 2017, 10:03:15 PM »
I don't know if any of you remember the venerable Commodore 64?
This was the most popular computer ever and probably one of the longest lasting productions. It also has to be the computer with the most software written for it in the history.

Well, I was playing with an emulator and a few games when I stumbled onto a game called Photo Safari. The concept is simple: you're in the Savannah and you have to take pictures of the animals. The better the framing, the more you can get for your picture. But watch out for the monkeys that can steal your camera.

If you want to give it a try, here's the link to the VICE Emulator http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/
And to the game  here
http://en.web-emulation.com/download-photo-safari-rom-41787.php
or here
https://www.planetemu.net/index.php?section=roms&dat=576&action=showrom&id=716622
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Photo Safari on the Commodore 64
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 02:48:15 AM »
The kid living next door to me had a Commodore 64.  I don't remember the games he had but it was a pretty amazing computer, especially when you compared it to the Sinclair ZX81 we had.  I was just excited to be able to type letters on our Black and White TV, that was pretty amazing.  The novelty of typing letters on the TV screen has since worn off for me though. 

MacArron

• Wasting film...
Photo Safari on the Commodore 64
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »
Commodore 64 wasn't a success in my neighbourhood :) We all had ZX Spectrum and dealing with cassette games was our way of life by that time :)

My cousin bought a Commodore 64 and she was the only one with that "strange" computer. Of course she was out of the group...

But I must say I never saw it on and running but I suspect that games were more or less the same for all platforms... could that be?
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 10:08:51 AM »
Yep, another Spectrum kid here.

The graphics on the C64 were better. I was always envious of my more monied friends who had C64s and even BBC Micros!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »
In the early 1980's, I was "aware" of Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum computers and, indeed, many of my friends had them.  I, on the other hand, was more interested I playing Rugby and spending my Saturdays photographing weddings to supplement my meagre income.  I never got interested in computer gaming and have only ever owned one computer game - and that's because it came "bundled" with the PC I bought. As an aside, I sometimes wonder if anyone's done a study of the evolution in size / strength / dexterity of thumbs over the past 30+ years....

Anyway, I have never owned a gaming console of any description and I rage against Hollyweird studios using what funding they have, these days, in producing CGI-based "films" off the back of computer games instead of something with a story / plot and proper, human, actors.  Our local multi-screen cinema is currently showing something called "Assassin's Creed", for which I had to sit through the most mind-numbing trailer the last time we went.  It's all very clever mixing actors and CGI from a programming / effects perspective, but although I'm of the generation that popularised it, I must be a bit weird as I deliberately never engaged with the cyber world.  Maybe I just realised that if I did engage, I'd probably be sucked in like that bloke off "The Matrix".

The nearest to a computer game I get is using my somewhat erratic Garmin sat-nav which, a couple of weekends ago, decided to try to get me and my missus to go off-roading in her 3-series.  The set up menu on my wife's Fuji X-T1 is also sufficiently challenging.

So, back to the topic, I'm probably going to give a cyber photo-safari a miss.  Thanks for the link, though, Francois.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 01:19:17 PM »
There was a very similar game pre-loaded on a sony ericsson phone i had a few years back.
I think it was called "underwater photo safari" and you've already figured the point of the game... and like all video games, it became very tiresome very quickly.
Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 02:02:25 PM »
Commodore 64 wasn't a success in my neighbourhood :) We all had ZX Spectrum and dealing with cassette games was our way of life by that time :)

My cousin bought a Commodore 64 and she was the only one with that "strange" computer. Of course she was out of the group...

But I must say I never saw it on and running but I suspect that games were more or less the same for all platforms... could that be?
Well... There were a few big companies that produced for multiple platforms. And there were a lot of smaller companies that made sometimes quite innovative games.
The photo Safari game is by loadstar which was a specialized magazine that came with a disk...

Anybody remember spending hours typing the programs in books and magazines just to see a little jumping pixel or a crude version of pong?
Francois

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 02:31:01 PM »
Yes. And they invariably didn't work!

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 03:54:09 PM »
My neighbors across the street had a Commodore 64 when I lived in Houston in the 80's.
I remember the husband being all wrapped up in it and what it could do, and the wife was keeping recipes on it, which I though was ridiculous at the time, and a bit lazy.
Pah!  Now I keep my recipes on my PC...I still hand write them too, but my the time shave changed!   :o

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 08:34:49 PM »
Yes. And they invariably didn't work!
Syntax Error on line 226 ;)
Francois