Author Topic: Olympus Infinity 3.5 it's a great camera  (Read 1605 times)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Olympus Infinity 3.5 it's a great camera
« on: January 25, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »
I posted about this little Olympus camera in the "I just Picked Up " thread and just now got around to shooting and developing the first roll.
The 3.5 lens is quite sharp and the camera is a champ for just sticking in a pocket and going!
I used some bulk loaded Delta 100. The camera sets the ISO by dx codes and defaults to 100 for unmarked film cans. Yay!
Each time the clamshell is closed the camera reverts back to default settings which means if you don't want the flash to go off, you need to press the flash button twice to turn it off....no big deal really.
Enough talk and a couple of samples.
This first one is from a train ride, The camera handles the focus quite well.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 02:38:25 PM by astrobeck »

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Re: Olympus Infinity 3.5 it's a great camera
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »
This one was shot just down the hill from my house...this tree has been hanging on for awhile, but I don't know how much longer it will...

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 03:55:52 PM »
Nice shots, Becky.  That train photo reminds me of the train ride Lara and I made from Williams to the Grand Canyon a few years ago.  The shot of the tree is a bit scary as they weigh a hell of a lot more than you think and, when it goes, you don't want to be anywhere nearby.  Does the local authorities not have a responsibility to remove potential hazards like that?  When it falls, Trump could use it as part of his fence with Mexico.....

Anyway, a camera will only do what you tell it to do, so you're definitely telling it to do good things :).  I've yet to find an Olympus camera I didn't like (says he who is getting rid of his XA now he's got a Rollei 35T - shameful, eh?  :o). The lenses are usually very good, if not stellar, and I've never had one breakdown on me. Not saying they can't or won't - it's just not happened yet.

It's nice to have a lightweight and pocketable camera, especially when it's winter and you don't want to lug a big bag around.  Keep up the great work. 

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:06:41 PM »
Wow! You're fast!
I haven't yet finished the roll in mine and I'm already in love :)
I always find it funny how certain cameras affect the way and what you photograph. And I don't think any of them has had a more profound effect on me than this one. For the first time in my life I tried actually putting people in my pictures! And best of all they don't seem to even notice that they will be in the frame...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 03:49:25 PM »
thanks guys.
Paul, the train is the sister to the one you rode to the Grand Canyon, well sort of.
This was The Southwest Chief, and meets the one you and Lara rode...I think the meeting station is in Williams?

Francois, yes, I'm pretty smitten with the camera too. Just having something so small and pocket friendly is nice.
I like not having to think about controls, other than disabling the flash, and just thinking about composition and scenes.
I think a couple more FW'sters have this same model...would be great to see some examples.

8)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
thanks guys.
Paul, the train is the sister to the one you rode to the Grand Canyon, well sort of.
This was The Southwest Chief, and meets the one you and Lara rode...I think the meeting station is in Williams?

Hi Becky - I thought the scenery looked familiar!  ;)

Not sure what our train was called but it was a great couple of hours - but nothing could prepare us for the Grand Canyon.  Of all the sights I've ever imagined, this one is the only one that's actually surpassed expectations.

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 10:52:47 PM »
This is one of my go to point and shoot cameras. I have two. In daylight, with ample lighting you don't need to turn off the flash. Its quick opening from sliding the shell to shoot compares to even most digital cameras today. Very great results you have there.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 12:02:43 AM »
It's quickly becoming my go to camera as well!

Here's a recent shot with fuji 400...