Author Topic: Minolta x-300 issue  (Read 1522 times)

inksmelladdict

Minolta x-300 issue
« on: January 22, 2017, 01:46:14 PM »
Hi guys,
I really hope you can help me. I was shooting today with my Minolta x-300 when the film suddenly stopped advancing fully. the lever will feel like it has advanced  but then I can't take a photo. I try to wind the lever again and it feels loose until eventually something feels like it clicks inside and the film is fully wound. When I opened the back, it winds and shoots fine without film and with film it sticks after the first bit of film is wound on. You have to gently push the film around a fraction to get it to do the final click onto a new frame. I really don't know what to do or how to fix it. It's never had a problem before and I've been using it professionally so I really need to work something out soon. Thanks guys,
Tess

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: Minolta x-300 issue
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »
Check for resistance in the rewind mechanism. If this is binding it will cause something similar to what you are describing. It's also possible that the advance lever is loose on its spindle, or that something below it is loose. In that case you'll need to pull off the top plate and investigate. For starters, though, I'd put a drop or two of Ronsonol on the extended rewind spindle and spin it around a bunch of times. If it feels noticeably smoother, clean it with more Ronsonol and cotton swabs, then a tiny dab of silicone grease or (in a pinch) lightweight oil.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

inksmelladdict

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice. The rewind mechanism feels exactly as it always does and so does the advancing mechanism except for its final little 2-3mm of winding.) Which leads me to think the advance lever is ever so slightly loose or something is slipping slightly. I have no idea how that could have happened though because I'd just shot a roll of film through it without problem. I'll have a thorough look at the things I can get to easily though before I start fiddling around under the top plate. So strange that this should just happen. And so annoying!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »
One of the things I like about Minoltas is that a lot of things can be fixed through the bottom plate.
Just open it and look at it closely as you work the mechanisms slowly.
After a few tries you should be able to figure out what's actually going on and what's going wrong.
For oiling I use some sewing machine oil in a syringe. Just half a drop will usually fix things.
I'm thinking that the ratchet on the advance on yours might need a bit of oil. If it doesn't extend fully because the spring is a bit weak and the ratchet a bit stiff, you risk stripping stuff inside.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

inksmelladdict

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 02:47:46 PM »
I'm thinking that the ratchet on the advance on yours might need a bit of oil. If it doesn't extend fully because the spring is a bit weak and the ratchet a bit stiff, you risk stripping stuff inside.

Ah, it's the spring that I'm worried about. I'll get in there this afternoon then and have a close look. I'm not particularly well versed with how these cameras function so it's going to be a very slow process to sort it without doing irreparable damage.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
As I said, Minoltas are fantastically well made. I have repaired successfully 3 minoltas and found that once you get in your head their design philosophy, it just clicks and becomes more obvious than many other cameras I've simply butchered over the years.

Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.