Author Topic: Maine + Rollei + Velvia  (Read 4347 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Maine + Rollei + Velvia
« on: January 20, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »
I got a bunch of slide films from a friend last year, but to be honest I wasn't really sure how best to proceed with them. I've never shot slides before, but I know enough about it to realize that my usual casual technique for exposing B&W negatives would not be ideal. I also knew that the development cost would be higher, so I wanted to be a bit careful where I used my limited supply. My greatest concern, however, was that I would find myself really liking the results, which could end up being expensive and/or disappointing, depending on the long-term availability of E6.

We headed up to Maine for a weekend back in October, so I decided to load a roll of Velvia 50 into my Rollei 35, being one of very few cameras I own with a reasonably accurate meter. Since I don't shoot much color film these days, and since I'm sending it out to be developed, it took a while before the pile got large enough for it to be worthwhile to ship it out. I got them back last week.

My worst fears were realized. I like the results. I really like the results. I'm scared.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

MacArron

• Wasting film...
Re: Maine + Rollei + Velvia
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:22:25 PM »
Absolutely beautiful shots. Well done!! I love the deep shadows while maintaining the light. Great job.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:00:32 PM »
I like the shot of the church, great colors.  I really like color like that in full sun. 

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:55:12 PM »
Thanks, guys. I'm already plotting what to shoot with the next roll.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 09:08:47 PM »
They're gorgeous.

I didn't realise you couldn't get Velvia 50 anymore. That was my staple in the past.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 09:48:13 PM »
Beautiful. Another Rollei 35 set that demonstrates that the Rollei 35 is among the finest cameras ever made

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 09:49:09 PM »
(I guess the photographers might have something to do with it.)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »
Beautiful. Any chance of bigger versions of them?

I've got a roll of Superia 400 in my 35T at the moment and hope to get it processed this weekend. 

I'll be trying some slide film next....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 01:35:36 AM »
Thanks, folks. Any particular shots you want to see bigger, Paul? None of the full-size files are online, but I can upload a couple if you like.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 05:08:56 PM »
Third one my fave, very egglestonish!!  ;)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 05:35:06 AM »
E6 film developed in E6, what an interesting concept...  ;)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 10:54:13 AM »
Thanks, folks. Any particular shots you want to see bigger, Paul? None of the full-size files are online, but I can upload a couple if you like.

Just a general comment.  It's probably my age and deteriorating eyesight but I'd like to see all of them a bit bigger, please.  These days I'm posting photos at 1,024 pixels along the longest edge and that just about works for me - without the need to swap to my reading / close-up glasses  :o

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 01:49:07 PM »
Ask and ye shall receive. I've taken to posting smaller, especially with portrait-oriented shots, simply because they fit more comfortably on my screen.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »
A really wonderful series the open door shot I love - if I had to pick one.
 I think that they are all great and you'll be shooting a lot more E6.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »
You had a wonderful location to work with and definitely did it justice. Lovely stuff. One question though: a lot of the shots seem to have slightly pink tinge to them. Is that how the light was at the time, or is it my monitor?

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 12:51:46 PM »
I really like the results. The first picture of the coastline is my favourite. You've got an interesting foreground and when you're finished enjoying it, the coastline leads your eye towards the house on the right side. The warm colours of the Velvia add a nice touch of nostalgia. Very well executed. Thanks for sharing these photos. :)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »
Thanks folks. Glad you're enjoying them.

Ed, I see the pink cast you mention, so I don't think it's just your monitor. In some (the first and the last particularly) the light was definitely pink; it's harder to say with the others. The expired film may have had something to do with it. The original scans show even more pink; I tried to dial it back to make the colors more natural, but perhaps I didn't go quite far enough.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 03:58:43 PM »
Are you using a skylight / UV filter? I have one that, when you put it on a piece of white paper, has a definite pink hue to it.  Perfectly normal, apparently, as it's there to counteract UV. 

That said, I've also shot in what was "pink light" and left it as it was as I liked the effect.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
No filter. I'm guessing it's the film itself, combined with my conservative exposure (didn't want to blow the highlights, and my experience with slide film is near zero).

-Hunter S. Thompson
-