Author Topic: Nishika N8000  (Read 1212 times)

JoeV

Nishika N8000
« on: November 22, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »
Hey fellow film wasters, I was recently given a Nishika N8000, so-called "3D" camera and want to begin using it to make GIFs from film scans. This thing looks like it'll really waste film, at the rate of two full frames (four half-frames) per shot!

I'd like to scan my images and create GIFs. I'm using a Mac with High Sierra OS. I already have a film scanner to make still images from each frame. Can anyone provide a recommendation for software to make GIFs from still images? I understand the older Mac OS-X provided a way to make GIFs built into the Preview app, but trying the technique on my Mac, I can technically export a JPEG as a GIF in High Sierra, but the OS won't permit me to directly layer multiple images one atop another to make the animation, so it's not really a true GIF, just a JPEG renamed as a GIF file-type.

In High Sierra, Apple went to using "Live Photos" as a way to make GIFs; or using video footage to make GIFs.

I know there are a number of apps intended to make GIFs, but many were intended to extract GIFs from video footage, instead of building them from still images.

Also, I don't have Photoshop on my Mac.

Thanks for the help.

~Joe

mikec

• Photography and Vintage Film Cameras
Re: Nishika N8000
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
For animated gif images I have several times used the on line utility at EZGIF.com.  It offers a lot of control over the final gif.  I tried it this morning and it seems to work with no problems and allowed me to download the composite image.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 05:39:00 PM »
This old thread has some good info on Nishika GIF’s.

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=5394.msg63733#msg63733

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 10:43:26 PM »
Or what you can do is put the images in iMovie (I don't know if this thing still exists) to make a short 4 frame video and then use another program to save them as GIF... unless iMovie can do it in one shot?

I don't know as I'm on Windows and Linux....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

JoeV

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 04:06:29 AM »
Thank you for the reply. It looks like web-based GIF-making, like EZGIF or giphy, might work for my use, and they give you a URL to link to other uses.

~Joe