Author Topic: SIR Don McCullin.....yes, SIR..!!  (Read 1019 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
SIR Don McCullin.....yes, SIR..!!
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »
I have what I regard as a healthy cynicism for the way in which gongs are allocated in our (the UK's) honours lists.  There are some exceptionally talented and dedicated people who receive accolades and fair play to them, they deserve that recognition, and more.  Then there are the political ones which always smack of cronyism to me - irrespective of which side of the political divide they are awarded.  In a year where Team GB did so well in Olympics and Paralympics, it's inevitable that several top athletes would be recognised.  Then there's the downright odd - for example, Victoria Beckham, OBE for services to Fashion...? Well, at least it wasn't services to music - which really would have been stretching it beyond breaking point....

Anyway, then I noticed Don McCullin's name.  He's been knighted.  Though I'm not really sure what this means in real terms, I can't think of another photographer more deserving of the right to be called Sir.  He's put himself in the firing line, literally, to record the horrors of what politically and religiously motivated regimes can do to one-another.  He's never pretended to be a hero (if you've ever read his book "Unreasonable Behaviour" you'll understand) and I doubt his work has made him a rich man, though I wouldn't begrudge him a penny if it had.  I'm really chuffed for him.

Happy New Year all....... :)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: SIR Don McCullin.....yes, SIR..!!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »
Hi Paul, I have to admit I was slightly saddened when I heard 'the Don' had accepted a knighthood.  :(

The honours system is such a corrupted symbol of the state of cronyism and patronage in the UK I always hope people I respect, such as Don, will reject the honour and stay above the whole sordid mess.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: SIR Don McCullin.....yes, SIR..!!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »
Hi Paul, I have to admit I was slightly saddened when I heard 'the Don' had accepted a knighthood.  :(

The honours system is such a corrupted symbol of the state of cronyism and patronage in the UK I always hope people I respect, such as Don, will reject the honour and stay above the whole sordid mess.

Ordinarily, Nigel, I'd agree with you.  However, this is one of those rare occasions where I feel recognition from the establishment is warranted - and long overdue...
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".