Author Topic: New Year Weekend  (Read 4471 times)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
New Year Weekend
« on: December 29, 2016, 11:51:35 PM »
Had to start this one early. When I get a roll finished this time of year I just can't wait to post.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: New Year Weekend
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 03:41:16 AM »
I have a portrait of Rachael.  Polaroid 100 land Camera using the close-up kit #583 with Fujifilm FP-3000b.

Rachael Portrait by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 09:57:32 AM »
Nice shots, SLVR and Bryan.

Mamiya 645 Super, Mamiya Sekor 80mm f2.8, Shanghai GP3,  D76.

oar_lock by Miljenko Vrankovic, on Flickr
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:13:17 AM »
Hi all, I like that second one SLVR!

Here are a couple I took recently of the British Library in London.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »
These are great!

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 12:40:42 PM »
Three from a trip to Golegã, Portugal and the Casa - Estúdio Carlos Relvas.  This amazing building was built by of one of the pioneer photographers, Carlos Relvas, in 1875.  http://www.casarelvas.com/site/pt/php/vida.php

The façade features busts of Niépce and Daguèrre.  The stairs to the front porch was used by clients from the lower classes—apparently favorite subjects for Relvas—while the nobility entered more discreetly through the back.  Our guide was kind enough to allow me to use the superbly designed studio space and its excellent natural light to make a portrait of one of my favorite subjects.

All three were taken in a Century Graphic 23 with a 100mm Tamron lens on Tri-X and developed in Xtol.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 01:31:36 PM »
Love your portrait Bryan!

Contax 645 / Zeiss Sonnar 140mm f2.8 / Rollei APX 400 in Xtol
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 04:05:27 PM »
I really love all of the above.  SLVR's top one has me flummoxed as I have no idea what that place is but the mood and the copper colours are lovely. Nigel's first is stunning - somewhere not too far from where I work but I seldom go that side of town. Bryan's doggie portrait is wonderful. That said, all are winners.

I've just picked up a Rollei 35T (Singapore model with 40mm f3.5 Tessar).  I heard that they flare a bit so, on a sunny and foggy day earlier this week, I took it to London to see what it could do with a roll of Ilford XP2 Super rated at 320. Here's 3 examples. Make your own mind up but I like the first results more than any compact 35mm film camera I've owned.

More examples posted in "Photo Essays" for anyone interested....

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:34:19 AM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 04:32:21 PM »
SLVR, Kai, and Late Dev... me likey.

Here are a couple from a roll of Superia that Bryan sent my way. Dev'd in room temp Unicolor (a la Reinhold) for 21 minutes. Taken with the trusty Pentax K1000. The more I use that camera, the more I like it.

K1000-Superia-015 by James Harr, on Flickr

K1000-Superia-018 by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 07:34:24 PM »
SLVR: You just have to tell us more about what was going on when you took that second shot  ;D

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 07:57:21 PM »
Hello!!

Nice everybody!!! I agree with Ed, hehe, please, tell us more, SLVR ;-)

These are two large format portraitr of what I hope will be a honorable filmwaster ;-)

1. Chamonix F1, Symmar-S 210/5.6, Rollei 100, Xtol stock:

violeta by Antonio Gimeno, on Flickr

Violeta with her Yashica FX-D :) She shot a roll of Superia 200 !

2. Pacemaker, Aeroektar 178/2.5, Rollei 100, Xtol stock:

violeta by Antonio Gimeno, on Flickr

Violeta with dad's Rolleicord Vb  8)

Happy New Year!
Feliz 2017, amigos ;-)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 08:14:50 PM »
That first is a cracker LD and I have to say this thread is a good way to say goodbye to '16

With all this fog and coldness around here's a couple from back in the summer. Steampunks young and old on Ektar 100 in the trusty Koni-Omega

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 08:40:43 PM »
SLVR: You just have to tell us more about what was going on when you took that second shot  ;D
Caption contest!!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 08:43:25 PM »
Thanks Fluminan and Nigel!

I really love all of the above.  SLVR's top one has me flummoxed as I have no idea what that place is but the mood and the copper colours are lovely.

It's another one of those "shoot a reflection then flip in post" shots. I shot this one upside down and flipped afterwards. It's a reflective ceiling at a theatre in the city! Gives a unique perspective and mood which I really like

Really liking your first image. The glow off your second is also really great too.

Nice everybody!!! I agree with Ed, hehe, please, tell us more, SLVR ;-)

A place that I frequently shoot in is Kensington Market in the city. I guess one could describe it as one of the more bohemian pockets of the city. This is during the winter solstice parade that they have. They parade through the streets beating drums, dressed in crazy costumes, indulging on the devil's lettuce, and go burn a paper mache snake in a park. If it sounds weird, you would be correct. I don't often shoot crowds of people so I don't usually shoot these big events but afterwards when everyone dispurses you can pick out some interesting narratives. This one specifically was some mobile DJ with lasers and heavy trance music.

Another shot as the event closed

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 10:34:23 PM »
So many great entries this week!! I don't mean to insult anyone by exclusion, but I particularly love Blaxton's Portugal shots, LD's flare-y shots, Antonio's Aeroektar (!!!!), Irv's steampunks, and all 3 of SLVR's shots.

I myself just shot off a bunch of FP100C which are drying right now. I'm going to recover the negs using a new technique I was hipped to called the Bothers Wright method. I tried it once and it worked better than any other method I've used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWA89dUx-1k

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 11:27:13 PM »
So many great entries this week!! I don't mean to insult anyone by exclusion, but I particularly love Blaxton's Portugal shots, LD's flare-y shots, Antonio's Aeroektar (!!!!), Irv's steampunks, and all 3 of SLVR's shots.

I myself just shot off a bunch of FP100C which are drying right now. I'm going to recover the negs using a new technique I was hipped to called the Bothers Wright method. I tried it once and it worked better than any other method I've used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWA89dUx-1k

Thank you, Peeps!

Satish, I'm intrigued about the FP100c bleaching. Hope it works well for you.  I've decided that the Rollei is going to be my carry round for 2017 as that lens is just fantastic.  It's zone focus but, if you're using f5.6 / f8, it's not that critical and ISO 320 or 200 just feels "right". 

Here's hoping that 2017 is a great year for us all - in every respect  :)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 11:52:46 PM »
Aint nothing wrong with zone focusing, once you get used to it it's easy!  ;)

Just finished bleaching 4 shots (in two pairs) and I screwed up just a bit on one, there was a tiny bleach leak. But the ease and speed of the method, and the near-foolproofness means that I'm going to be shooting a lot more FP100C  :D 8)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:54:57 PM by Indofunk »

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 12:06:49 PM »
I wanna say goodbye to 2016 with a portrait of a friend. Original 60s dress. Shot on 35mm original Agfa Vista 200.

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 04:14:50 PM »
Had to start this one early. When I get a roll finished this time of year I just can't wait to post.

What film did you use for the second photo?  I've got some Portra 800 and Fuji Natura 1600 that needs to be used.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 05:40:19 PM »
Great set of photos to end the year with!

Having the day off and also finding myself free of familial obligations yesterday, a friend and I decided to hit some of the local breweries. I brought along two cameras, both instant, a Polaroid 195 and the Lomo Instant Automat that I received via Kickstarter.

Outside Birdsong Brewing - Polaroid 195 by adoephoto, on Flickr

I've gone through about three packs of Instax Mini with the Automat and this is the first shot that I've been truly happy with. It was taken in bulb mode with flash off, seven second exposure with the closeup lens.

Blue Blaze Flight - Lomo Instant Automat by adoephoto, on Flickr

I hope everyone has a happy, prosperous and photographically satisfying New Year!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 09:23:32 PM »
I know I promised a negative recovery, but this positive looked so good I didn't bother recovering the negative (meaning: I *did* recover the neg, tried to clean it up in LR, saw that it was far inferior to the positive, and scanned the positive :) )

Polaroid 100/FP100C

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 01:27:58 AM »
I know I promised a negative recovery, but this positive looked so good I didn't bother recovering the negative (meaning: I *did* recover the neg, tried to clean it up in LR, saw that it was far inferior to the positive, and scanned the positive :) )

Polaroid 100/FP100C

Bollocks to the neg, mate. If the positive's that good, don't waste the time.... ;)

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 10:04:39 AM »
A country ruin in the North of England:

Rookehopedale
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Fujifilm GA645Zi and expired 220-format FP4+

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
A country ruin in the North of England:

Rookehopedale
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Fujifilm GA645Zi and expired 220-format FP4+

That's a stunner, Kevin.  Well done....

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 04:23:39 PM »
Faintandfuzzy it's all superia 800!

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 03:02:07 AM »
Faintandfuzzy it's all superia 800!

Thanks.  I love the look.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 05:56:21 PM »
First roll from my Minolta Hi-Matic 7S. This is a camera I got from the big auction site for a song and repaired myself. Shutter wouldn't fire, initially, and speeds were slow once the shutter was freed. Thanks to Satish for his pictures of a similar 7S shutter! The film broke at the end of this roll, but I was able to retrieve the film from the take-up spool (despite opening the camera in full [winter] daylight to remove the canister) and develop it. I only lost one frame!

Old Friends by Chad Herbert, on Flickr