Author Topic: Sitting or standing in 2016  (Read 1813 times)

MaxR88

• 35mm
Sitting or standing in 2016
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:02:32 PM »
I've been taking a break from my usual line of work to study and retake some "key" subjects to improve my grades to, hopefully, take a different career path.
In this year of not working and doing things all strangely I had an idea to take a picture of where I spent the most amount of time, be that studying, work or simply the most comfortable place. Might sound uninteresting but hopefully it won't be.

I've been lucky enough to stay with my girlfriend who travels for work, so every 4/5 weeks we would move somewhere different. Admittedly I haven't lived with her the whole year, finances, exams, small patches of work and other reasons have put paid to that but the key thing is I haven't been in one place for very long for most of the year. The longest stretch in one place being where I am now which clocks in at 3 months.

I tried to put something that named what part of the country I was spending my time in, although this was easier said than done. I flat out forgot for two (London and Newcastle) and the most recent (Manchester) was a rather rushed affair to get set up and taken without making too much of a scene.

The whole project was shot on my Nikon FE-2, with a variety of lenses and all on colour film; Gold 200, Pro400H and Portra 400.

Enough words, pictures.
Thanks for looking.

London (Workplace)

Bradford, as seen in the weekend post

Newcastle

Plymouth

Manchester (Workplace)

Cardiff. This didn't work out as planned. Aiming for 4 shots on the one frame, I'm in there 4 times just more see through than I would have liked.

Edinburgh
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:04:33 PM by MaxR88 »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Sitting or standing in 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:36:56 PM »
This is a great idea, and a great set of shots. How did you trigger the shots? And if you don't mind me asking, what was your job in that first picture? Looks to me like audio engineering. And while I'm asking, what is your eventual job/career goal?

I love the gypsy lifestyle in theory, but I'm pretty sure I'm not cut out for it. The closest I've come is the few tours I've done, different cities every day for 2-3 weeks at a time. But in real life, I've been in the same city for 20 years, and the same apartment for 15 years

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:52:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing that, I always find it interesting to get a look into other peoples lives.  I think it's comparing the differences and similarities to my own life that make it fascinating for me.  Good luck with your studies, hopefully you can settle down in one spot once you get done. 

MaxR88

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 07:54:33 PM »
Thanks Bryan and Indofunk, I've really enjoyed doing it. When I explained what the project was to my current boss he looked at me weirdly, then was surprised when I showed him the shot and said it had come back from processing, "like on film" I think he said.

The FE-2 has an inbuilt timer on it, its very handy, I was also using a remote trigger cable to extend the reach like the Bradford shot, if you look in that shot you can see the ladder off to one side that I used to rig up the camera.
I think the timer is around 10 seconds which is just enough to dash down a ladder for reference. :)

Not far off actually, I'm a lighting technician so that was during a quiet bit in that particular show. Hoping to work on the railways in an engineering capacity, I feel like I've gone as far as I want to with lighting stuff for a variety of reasons.
I spent two years on tour with a show before the year of weird and it's great fun but I long for stability and a house of my own hence the hopeful change.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 07:56:06 PM by MaxR88 »

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 04:07:27 PM »
Nice project. Interesting. It seems you have had fantastic works, wearing only sockets or slippers most of the time :)

I do not understand what happened on the Cardiff one. Did you shoot 4 times the same frame? It looks like there are four kind of legs in the room!!
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 11:37:10 PM »
Nice one Max, always interesting to see other people´s choices to depict themselves. When moving longing for stability and viceversa, sounds familiar, I guess balance it´s they key  ; )

MaxR88

• 35mm
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 04:38:40 PM »
Thanks to you both.

MacArron - yeah its four shots on the same frame, I came out a bit more see through than I envisaged though which is a shame.