Author Topic: Basic quality film processing UK mail order.  (Read 4004 times)

chris667

• Peel Apart
Basic quality film processing UK mail order.
« on: November 29, 2016, 08:52:01 AM »
Hello everyone.

I have very recently become interested in film photography again, after a break of twenty -odd years. I sort of lost interest when digital photography became a thing. My plan, as for the first time in my adult life I have have the space, is to build a darkroom.

I've bought an SLR which seems to be working, but I need to test it. Can anyone in the UK recommend a reasonably priced photo lab? There seems to be nothing local. I Googled but everything seems out of date; none of the supermarket websites mention film processing anymore.

Any suggestions? I live in Belper, Derbyshire. I would much rather spend money locally, so if you can suggest a bricks and mortar business near me, I'd use them.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: Basic quality film processing UK mail order.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 09:39:35 AM »
Hi Chris, welcome onboard!

I'm in Kent so I don't know anywhere local to you. In fact, I don't know anywhere local to me.

For basic film processing, I use AG Photographic (in the badlands of Brum). I like them because they're associated with a bricks and mortar store that supplies film, chemicals etc.
http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/photo-lab-service-11-w.asp

For something slightly more important/expensive I use Peak Imaging, which a few people here favour.
http://www.peak-imaging.com

I hope that helps.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 11:57:14 AM »
I'd go with Nigel's suggestion as they do really good work.  However, if you happen to have access to any of the following:

- Boots (with a photo processing counter)
- Snappy Snaps
- Max Spielmann (there's one in Ripley - Oxford St, DE5 3AL)

in or around Derby / Nottingham / Sheffield, they will probably be a bit cheaper.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 04:00:23 PM »
Damion recommended filmdev.co.uk. They do 35mm colour dev and scan from just £3 a roll including postage (minimum order £5 though).

I've just sent them a couple of rolls used for testing cameras. Will report back when I see the results but, at that price, and as it's only for testing purposes, I'm probably going to be happy.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 11:17:21 AM »
filmdev.co.uk seems interesting.
/jonas

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 12:00:27 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 05:37:46 PM »

Got my scans back today. When I get the negs I'll post an opinion over in Damion's thread at http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=8795.0
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 01:17:40 PM »

Got my scans back today. When I get the negs I'll post an opinion over in Damion's thread at http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=8795.0

Cheers, Peter! I'll be looking forward to it. if it IS good and places well with costs here then I should hurry an use it before you guys get out of the union :D
/jonas

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 05:25:43 PM »
Just posted.