Author Topic: A woodland cemetery  (Read 3514 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
A woodland cemetery
« on: November 19, 2016, 02:34:26 PM »
The woods around here are full of the remnants of rural society that once farmed the land. Rough stone walls, bits of foundations, and traces of roads and tracks that connected long-gone farmsteads. Many of these have been lost to progress, but the burial grounds have generally been left alone.

This particular cemetery is one of three that served a small hamlet now gone. It had a long history, the British having marched through twice during the Revolution - the trails they used are still there. The cause of the settlement's disappearance is unusual, however, it having been seized, evacuated, and largely demolished by the state to add to the adjacent state park, rather than being allowed to simply slip slowly away.

In spite of being in a park, the cemeteries here are still in use, as some of the old residents are still living, and they retain the right to be buried with their families. One of the others is relatively well-tended, but this one - inactive but for a small corner section - has been left for the forest to slowly reclaim.

I hiked into the park with my Canon P, loaded with HP5+, and my newly-acquired Canon 35/1.8, intent on giving the latter its first film test. As such, most of these are shot wide-open or close to it. I was sufficiently pleased with the results that I thought others might be interested in seeing them.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:53:20 PM by 02Pilot »
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: A woodland cemetery
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 04:57:56 PM »
Interesting bokeh on some of those.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 07:23:55 PM »
Interesting bokeh on some of those.

I thought so too. It goes quite low contrast and a bit swirly in the center, but it doesn't carry out from there much at all. The only other lens I have that does something like that is my beat-up, partially resurrected Summar, but I always figured that was a product of the damaged glass; the glass on the Canon is perfect, so it must be inherent in the design.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 12:24:01 PM »
There's a long-standing and now long-forgotten 'no cemeteries' rule here on Filmwasters, but since the 5 of us who started the site aren't around as much as we used to be, we have no real right anymore to push our elitist agenda on the people who actually keep the site running and interesting...and these photos really are quite lovely.

;D ;D

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 12:40:01 PM »
There's a long-standing and now long-forgotten 'no cemeteries' rule here on Filmwasters, but since the 5 of us who started the site aren't around as much as we used to be, we have no real right anymore to push our elitist agenda on the people who actually keep the site running and interesting...and these photos really are quite lovely.

;D ;D

Really? I'm curious as to the origins of that rule (and any others I might not be aware of, for that matter). In any case, thanks for the heads-up and the kind words, but if you'd prefer I take it down I will, no problem.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 04:12:31 PM »
No, no, I'm only joking so don't worry  ;D ;D Sorry for the confusion. Almost everything I write here on the forum should be read with a TON of smileys as context. We did have a discussion once upon a time about how certain subjects cropped up time and time again in photography and I remarked that graveyards were one such subject.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 07:26:14 PM »
This might be a common subject (like naked women) but they're beautifully done -- the light, tones, angle, background. Really nice!

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 08:04:55 PM »
Beautiful photos. Very. It was a productive walk and lens test I'd swear...
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 08:48:08 PM »
Thanks for the kind words folks, and thanks Ed for the clarification.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 08:22:16 PM »
I would say that every photographer at one point goes to a graveyard. There must be something appealling in them, out from the obvious fact that people have been buried there. Or may be that is the reason and we want somehow to surpass the prevalent feeling of repulse/respect to death in our culture. Anyway, beautiful shots  :)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »
I did some trawling and it turns out that it was 'statues as subject matter' that we originally had a chuckle about, not graveyards. They came later  ;D

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=4403.msg49103#msg49103

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 11:51:03 PM »
Great series but I particularly like the 3-D effect of that second to last shot. Superb.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 09:50:34 AM »
I did some trawling and it turns out that it was 'statues as subject matter' that we originally had a chuckle about, not graveyards. They came later  ;D

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=4403.msg49103#msg49103

yeah, you go on quite a bit in the podcast about statues :D cemeteries maybe not as much? but yeah, it's up there.

all that aside, I like me a good cemetery shot and these are a pleasure to look at! the interesting character of the lens really lends well to the feel of these. thanks for posting!
/jonas

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 01:44:38 PM »
Thanks, guys.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-