Author Topic: UK Filmlab  (Read 2934 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
UK Filmlab
« on: July 01, 2016, 12:05:53 PM »
For those who may not be aware, UK Filmlab proprietors are relocating themselves and their business to Canada (specifically British Columbia). New website:

www.canadianfilmlab.com

The UK's loss is Canada's gain as these guys do great work.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: UK Filmlab
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »
Thanks for the tip.
I hope they change the pricing on their website...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: UK Filmlab
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 07:54:31 AM »
Thanks for the tip.
I hope they change the pricing on their website...

Hi Francois,

Probably worth mentioning that UKFL was set up to provide services to professionals and very keen enthusiasts.  When you first use them, they set up a "profile" for clients' negatives (based on a questionnaire you send with the film) when it comes to how you want film developing and, where required, scanning.  This is so that there is consistency from one batch of negatives to the next and they scan to whatever resolution required before sending a link to their website for you to download scans (which have been dusted at 50% resolution).  I've had a few batches done by them in the last couple of years and, although I agree their pricing is top end, I found their quality of work to be the best I've used.  They also store your negs until you want them returned (or are happy for them to be destroyed).

I don't know whether, when they get to Canada, they will adjust pricing to reflect the local market - but that would be logical as they won't be around for long if the Canadian and North American market won't pay the price.  However, they aren't intending to compete with corner-shop or high-volume "one size fits all" outfits. 

I'll be keeping an eye on their pricing as, if they remain / become more competitive, I would love to use them for work where, for me, the end result is really important.

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".