Author Topic: Shrooms  (Read 3514 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Shrooms
« on: October 31, 2016, 04:23:31 PM »
This has been the wettest October on record for the Pacific Northwest.  That's only good for one thing, mushrooms, and they are popping up everywhere right now.  I am not one to identify mushrooms all I know is we have three kinds, the ones that are good for eating, the psychedelic ones and the ones that kill you.  Rather than sticking them in my mouth I took pictures of them with my Rolleiflex Automat using a Rondo close-up attachment.  The film is Ektar 100.  Other than the first one these were all shot within a few blocks of my house. 

I think this is a Russula but don't trust me on that.
Russula Mushroom by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I have no idea what type these little ones are.
Mushroom Forest by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

These next two may be horse mushrooms but they look very similar to several other types.
White Mushroom on the Lawn by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

White Mushroom by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I think these are Psilocybe Azurescens which are one of the many psychedelic mushrooms that grow around here.  Or they might make you dead, I have no idea.
Pair of Psilocybe Azurescens by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:49:22 PM by Bryan »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Shrooms
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 05:20:45 PM »
Lovely set of pics here Bryan. The thing I like about low angle shots of mushrooms is that it can often be difficult to get a sense of scale. That lends a greater sense of mystery to the photos. Thanks for sharing these.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 07:07:11 PM »
I recently heard this joke: All mushrooms are edible. Some are only edible once. :)

Beautiful shots :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 11:55:57 PM »
Lovely set of pics here Bryan. The thing I like about low angle shots of mushrooms is that it can often be difficult to get a sense of scale. That lends a greater sense of mystery to the photos. Thanks for sharing these.

Thanks James, That's one reason I like the TLR, getting the low angle shot.  Most of these were fairly long exposures so I just set it down on the ground and used a cable release.  It kind of puts you into the mushrooms world. 

I recently heard this joke: All mushrooms are edible. Some are only edible once. :)

Beautiful shots :)

Thanks Satish, I need to remember that joke, so many opportunities to use it around here.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 10:35:46 AM »
Magic Kingdom

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »
I do like them all. My favourite is the one called "Forest"  :)

I use a TLR as my unique MF camera and find the parallax correction annoying for those kind of close shots. How did you solve it?

Thank you.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 12:43:56 AM »
I do like them all. My favourite is the one called "Forest"  :)

I use a TLR as my unique MF camera and find the parallax correction annoying for those kind of close shots. How did you solve it?

Thank you.

Thanks MacArron.  The Rolleiflex corrects for parallax plus the Rondo Closeup attachment has a prism that goes over the viewing lens that corrects for the close distance.  It all seems to work out quite good. 

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 12:38:59 PM »
Actually it does  :)

Thank you Bryan for the explanation.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 11:04:13 PM »
This was just in the news nearby, very sad.  That's why I don't stick these things in my mouth unless I get it from the grocery store. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/death-cap-mushroom-victoria-boy-poisoned-1.3802245

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 08:49:07 AM »
I had a book which contained photos of all the known mushroom types in the UK and clear markings of the ones that are poisonous.  I used it when out camping as there were often good supplies of wild mushrooms to-hand.  However, I think I got it a bit wrong once as I ended up with a quite spectacular and explosive (but, thankfully, brief) "upset stomach" after munching on one mushroom that looked identical to one of the safe varieties.  And that's the problem; many varieties look very similar but they're not all safe to eat.

These days, like Bryan, I never eat mushrooms unless they're from a supermarket or restaurant. I also used to enjoy hedgerow foraging for fruit / berries when walking / camping - until I was advised never to eat anything that grows "below waist high"  :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 06:12:21 PM »
Many years ago an ex-girlfriend brought home some Chanterelles from a farmer's market (I believe they were grown in the Bronx, maybe Westchester). A few hours after eating them, I started seeing lots of sparkly lights and all of my extremities went numb. It was extremely unpleasant (unlike the "other" type of mushrooms that I've had). The next morning it was all gone, and oddly my gf suffered no ill consequences.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 09:18:22 AM »
Fantastic shots, mushrooms are one of my favourite subjects but I've sadly missed the last 2 seasons

I too bought a book to identify them but gave up beyond the obvious like Fly Agaric all tho I think my mistake was in buying the book after as the context of where they grow can help identify them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 04:11:32 AM »
Many years ago an ex-girlfriend brought home some Chanterelles from a farmer's market (I believe they were grown in the Bronx, maybe Westchester). A few hours after eating them, I started seeing lots of sparkly lights and all of my extremities went numb. It was extremely unpleasant (unlike the "other" type of mushrooms that I've had). The next morning it was all gone, and oddly my gf suffered no ill consequences.
Is she an "ex" girlfriend because you found out she had a history of poisoning her boyfriends?? Sounds like you dodged a bullet there dude!  ;D ;D
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 08:47:31 PM »
Is she an "ex" girlfriend because you found out she had a history of poisoning her boyfriends?? Sounds like you dodged a bullet there dude!  ;D ;D

Let's just say that she's not the only one with a history of poisoning their lovers :o

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 06:47:31 PM »
I'm adding a few more.  These were shot with a Baby Rolleiflex 4x4 using Konica 160 that expired in 2006.  For the first one I used a Rondo Close-Up Lens II, the second one was so big I didn't need the closeup lens. 

Orange Mushrooms by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Giant Mushroom by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 12:44:18 PM »
Lovely stuff Bryan - good so see another mycologist on the site :) .  I'm partial to the odd mushroom shot myself, although mostly not on film these days. You can see some of my efforts on my website below.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:51:59 PM by Leon »
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 03:59:54 PM »
Bryan, these are indeed lovely. I think they're most successful when the background doesn't intrude (in terms of fences etc.). I love photographing these types of subjects too and one of the main attractions in it for me is when I end up with a photo where the mushroom/toadstool is the only character in their own little magical mushroom universe  ;D