Author Topic: So, what slide film for fall in New England?  (Read 2203 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
So, what slide film for fall in New England?
« on: October 14, 2016, 02:35:45 AM »
Going up to Maine for the weekend. Foliage should be fairly colorful, and the weather looks like it will be sunny. As noted in the "I just picked up" thread a couple weeks ago, I received several rolls of slide film from a photographer friend, and I'm thinking of using a couple rolls on this trip. Trouble is, I have no real experience with slide film, so a bit of specific advice to supplement my internet research would be helpful.

I have Velvia 50, Velvia 100F, and Ektachrome 100GX. Haven't decided on the camera/lens yet, but knowing me it will probably be a Leica something. Which of these emulsions would you choose for sunny day fall foliage and why? Go!
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: So, what slide film for fall in New England?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 05:13:48 AM »
Velvia 50 is a little slow for hand holding and Ektachrome can be a bit "blue". My choice would be Velvia 100f. Shot a load of it when we drove R66 in October 2013 and it came out very nice.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:08:15 AM »
But also Velvia 50 with a small tripod would be fantastic. You would get sharp and colourful images.

I wouldn't use Ektachrome.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 11:41:05 AM »
But also Velvia 50 with a small tripod would be fantastic. You would get sharp and colourful images.

I wouldn't use Ektachrome.

Agreed. If a tripod is an option, Velvia 50 is a wonderful film.  If you want something a bit more "neutral", Provia 100f is fantastic - but I know that's not on the list of what you have.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm accustomed to hand-holding with slow film, so I don't think there's a problem there; my B&W film will be FP4+, which I shoot at ISO50 anyway. I'll probably just grab a roll of Velvia 50 and see how it comes out - that way I don't have to change my exposure calculations between emulsions. Now to decide on the camera and lens....
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 02:31:32 PM »
Not a slide film but you might want to invest in a redhancer filter. They look brown but intensify the reds beautifully.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 02:49:06 PM »
Not a slide film but you might want to invest in a redhancer filter. They look brown but intensify the reds beautifully.

Probably hard to find in the oddball filter sizes I'd need, though (19, 34, and 40.5mm). I do have warming and cooling filters in 19mm, should I happen to take the Elmar.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 02:55:51 PM »
I'm accustomed to hand-holding with slow film, so I don't think there's a problem there; my B&W film will be FP4+, which I shoot at ISO50 anyway. I'll probably just grab a roll of Velvia 50 and see how it comes out - that way I don't have to change my exposure calculations between emulsions.

That's true. Keeping the same ISO in all films lets you concentrate in the photo itself. I've had problems in the past with two cameras rated differently, ending up with subexposure, overexposure or repeated shots.

If you're on 100, best thing to do is stay there.

Mmm, regarding cameras, if you are going to shoot handheld, I recommend a rangefinder or similar to avoid the mirror issues.

Good luck.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 03:01:04 PM »
Agfa Precisa 100.

Apparently it's repackaged Fuji film though it's not known whether it's Provia or Velvia.  Either way, it's a lot cheaper than the Fuji and is just as good.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »
Agfa Precisa 100.

Apparently it's repackaged Fuji film though it's not known whether it's Provia or Velvia.  Either way, it's a lot cheaper than the Fuji and is just as good.

That'd be an interesting bench test, Charles.  My guess is that it'd be pretty easy to tell whether it is Velvia or Provia if all 3 were shot and processed under identical circumstances.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 04:38:32 PM »
Agfa Precisa 100.

That'd be an interesting bench test, Charles.  My guess is that it'd be pretty easy to tell whether it is Velvia or Provia if all 3 were shot and processed under identical circumstances.

I did that a couple of years ago and to be honest couldn't really tell the difference between the three films.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 08:38:05 PM »

Probably hard to find in the oddball filter sizes I'd need, though (19, 34, and 40.5mm). I do have warming and cooling filters in 19mm, should I happen to take the Elmar.
Those sizes are getting pretty rare I must say. That's why I usually either use a step-up adapter or just hand-hold it in front of the lens.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 08:47:32 PM »
For this trip, what I've got is what I'm going to have, since I'm leaving in about 12 hours. If I like the results, I suppose I might actually buy some slide film, but for as little color as I tend to shoot it's going to take a while to get through what I have (10 rolls). Camera is still undecided, but definitely a rangefinder or viewfinder; I only own one SLR, as it sees little use these days.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 09:21:20 PM »
Precisa is very nice
https://gsgary.smugmug.com/Other/Color-film/i-Lgxrb2m

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk