Author Topic: Bonnevil  (Read 2829 times)

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
Bonnevil
« on: October 12, 2016, 05:26:58 PM »
I'm not a car maniac, drove more than 1 million kilometers mostly on highways and am happy to live without a car now since some years. But I always had a favor for hot, politically incorrect, big fuel-guzzlers. I never had one, my first was a Renault 12, then an old Beatle followed by a Mazda coupé - almost a hot car which died of a blown head gasket. Then came the business cars BMW, Audi100, Mercedes-C and at last a Golf Diesel. Plus some 100.000 kilometers with 2.8 - 7.5 tonner. Modern cars are deathly boring imo. Design? Wrong! The last hot cars were made in the 70s, and this Bonnevil wrack seems to be from that time.

I saw this Pontiac Bonnevil at a used car sale beneath the Mannheim trade port and knew immediately that I had to take pictures of it. As film I choose my last original Afga Vista 200 @ 100, expired probably more tha 10 years ago. Shot in a knight rider stile Minolta 7000 with 1.7/50 AF-Rokkor. Developed in homemade C-41 dev at room temp - of course.

23 pontiac bonnevil
by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr

21 pontiac bonnevil

24_2 pontiac bonnevil

25 pontiac bonnevil

27 pontiac bonnevil

28 pontiac bonnevil

PS: I almost forgot the first. By the numbers you can tell that I shot 10 pictures and 7 came out nicely imo.

19 pontiac bonnevil
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:19:34 PM by imagesfrugales »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:50:52 PM »
Take pictures of it? You should have bought it!  :P

I love looking at old American iron, but having had a 1973 Dodge Challenger as my first car, I can honestly say that driving dynamics tend to be, um, unrefined, at least once one deviates from a straight line or (heaven forbid) tries to stop.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:06:33 PM »
Good combination of subject, film and processing. You have definitely created a 'mood' with this set of photos. Thanks for sharing.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 10:02:12 PM »
^ what James said  :)

MacArron

• Wasting film...
Bonneville
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 11:12:14 PM »
I like the photos a lot. The subject is good and the colours are great. All together they make a very good 'essay'

Thanks for sharing your photos.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
Re: Bonnevil
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 01:20:31 PM »
Thank you all for the friendly comments.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 04:12:22 AM »
Is Bonnevil a death metal Bon Iver cover band?

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »
That car looks pure evil!!!  8)

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 12:34:09 AM »
That car looks pure evil!!!  8)
: it's only a wreck, but an evil one :D

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »
Those were the days, new body-shape every year, the underpinnings however stayed the same for decades. That looks like a '67, the rather futuristic eyebrows gave way to a more traditional front the year after. I knew a family in my home town in Norway, that had one of these and a mid 40's V8 Buick. Very eccentric to say least, considering that most people had a German Beetles or Taunus 17m's or Swedish Volvo 140's or Saab 96's at the time.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 12:19:11 PM »
Y'know car photos generally leave me cold subject-wise. I see the appeal they must have for others, but for the most part I never connect with them. That said, I do have a lovely framed print of a rusted car bonnet/hood on my wall that Susan Burnstine sent me years ago...and now lo and behold, Rheinhold comes at me with these beauties  :) All of a sudden I'm wondering whether my brain has been taken over by extra terrestrial beings who have a penchant for automotive vehicles.

OK, so I don't love all of these photos, but they're mainly great. The shot of the steering wheel in particular is just plain beautiful....poignant even. I almost shed a tear. The wing mirror snap is absolutely gorgeous too.

You get additional fan points from me for shooting at the perfect time of day. The lighting PERFECTLY complements the subject matter.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:21:14 PM by Ed Wenn »

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 01:41:04 PM »
Thank you so much for your encouragement, Ed.