Author Topic: My Ondu Pinhole Has Landed  (Read 3974 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
My Ondu Pinhole Has Landed
« on: August 12, 2016, 10:50:45 AM »
I think I must have been one of the last in line because my Ondu pinhole finally arrived earlier this week; long after others here received theirs. Still, it was a lovely surprise when I got home from work to find a package from Slovenia waiting for me. It was an even bigger surprise to find that I'd ordered a 5x4 size camera as I'd genuinely forgotten about thatand thought I'd gone for the 120  8) :)

However, it's proving to be a bit of a mixed blessing.

On one hand LF is cool and we all know the rule that LF photos are automatically better than smaller photos in every conceivable way....because they're LF. It's an actual real rule and it's the law. So, that's great because it means all of my Ondu shots will be masterpieces  ;D On the same hand (it's a fairly large hand...room for more than one point), I have a lot of 5x4 instant film that I really need to start burning through before it dies on me and something less unwieldy than my field camera will be a help in that regard.

However, on the other hand we have a tiny problem. While the Ondu is compatible with my 545 Polaroid sheet film back, it isn't compatible with my 2 Polaroid pack film backs and this - for me - is a huge problem, because I only have around 20 usable sheets of instant film left, whereas I have a LOT of pack film stock.

The compatibility issue isn't insurmountable; the pack film backs are significantly thicker than the sheet film back (as you'd expect). I just need the two black screw-in holders (see photos below) to be around 2 cms  longer than the ones provided with the camera. I'll drop Ondu a line and see if they have any longer screws, but I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone had any fiendishly clever workarounds, suggestions or similar experiences.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:52:40 AM by Ed Wenn »

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
Re: My Ondu Pinhole Has Landed
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »
Depending which film pack type you have I suppose, but are you sure it fits flush at the end?  If it doesn't then a file will perhaps see you right, as per photo below, to cut a sloping edge.

Ditto the fixing in place.  Does your pack have a groove at the same height as the 545?  No, wait, that wouldn't matter with the Ondu as the groove is buried beneath the ridge anyway.  Yeah, you probably just want a longer screw bolt.

Check if the bolt fits into a regular 4 or 5mm nut, then you can just find the length you need on eBay.  Sometimes called machine screws, and a variety of head types (and/or washers) are usually available.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 02:30:27 PM »
Unless you want to remove the film pack adapter, you could just remove the dark slide from it and avoid chopping up the camera.
I think that if you do that, you could simply remove the screw knobs and replace them with short screws and washers to hold a back in place permanently. Then it'll just become a pinhole polaroid and you can simply revert it back to 4x5 when you've gone through the whole box of packs.

If you need more details, just let me know.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 04:23:22 PM »
Sandeha: Thanks for the info re the probable screw names. I'll take a look on evilBay for the screws once I've measured the nut size.

Francois: The 405 holder has the dark slide on the wrong side for use with the Ondu, but it's easy enough to take the dark slide out and load it in the dark. The 550 holder has the dark slide on the same end as the 454; so that's all good.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 06:08:32 PM »
I think I must have been one of the last in line ...

"One of" being the operative words. Mine still hasn't arrived as I was one of the folks who also added on a t-shirt and apparently those orders got held up until the t-shirts could be shipped along with the camera.   >:(

And yes you are correct, LF images are always vastly superior because... LF! Also it gives you the right to laud it over all the smaller formats.

I'd be interested to learn how you resolve the packfilm holder issue. If I'm really pleased with the medium format Ondu I'm due to receive I may eventually spring for a 4x5, but I'd like to know that I can use my Polaroid backs with it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 08:57:30 PM »
Francois: The 405 holder has the dark slide on the wrong side for use with the Ondu, but it's easy enough to take the dark slide out and load it in the dark. The 550 holder has the dark slide on the same end as the 454; so that's all good.
You actually don't have to load it in the dark!
Remember, pack film has its own dark paper that you pull to start using the film?
The rigid darkslide is there only to remove the back without wasting the film on the view camera. If you leave it on the camera, you don't need it.
If you completely remove the darkslide and plug the slot with a piece of black cardboard, you can fix it to the camera and use it like you do your land camera.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 11:28:37 PM »
Well, here's your solution: simply send me ALL the packfilm that you have, and that way you will never have to worry about adapting your Ondu for packfilm! :D :D ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 02:05:57 PM »
Ed: when ordering the machine screws, you have to know the diameter and thread pitch.
The easiest way to know that would be to ask Beni or Elvis.

Machine screws are available in two standards: Metric and SAE.
Metric screws are in mm with the width of the thread in mm.
The SAE screws are in fractions of an inch and number of threads per inch.
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 01:28:02 PM »
Hi all, back from my holiday in France. I've been in touch with Elvis and he said he'd send me some longer screws for free. Very nice of him. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have my name/email address listed anywhere as a registered Ondu backer (or something) despite having sent me a camera....so we'll see if he gets round to sending me the new screws. Still, he seems like a cool chap.

In the meantime, I'll go down the 'buy it yourself' route and let you know how I get on.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 01:37:39 PM »
...actually, I've just had a look at my email conversation with Elvis and I missed his most recent reply. Turns out he's ordered some longer screws for me and will be sending them over ASAP. Nice.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 05:04:42 PM »
...actually, I've just had a look at my email conversation with Elvis and I missed his most recent reply. Turns out he's ordered some longer screws for me and will be sending them over ASAP. Nice.

That is excellent customer service!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 09:10:57 PM »
I must admit that I've been surprised by their service so far. While not being very fast on the emails, they do deliver service wise.
I contacted them a while ago about the massive light leaks I was having. I measured everything, sent them the dimensions and they told me it would be easier to just send a whole new camera and a replacement film!

While I'm still waiting for my box, I can't wait to take a good one for a spin :)

So Ed, what do you think of it so far?
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 03:44:11 PM »
WOW!
Ondu definitely has the best customer service in the world!
I don't know if you remember but I had a massive light leak problem with my Pocket 6x6.
So this morning the mailman brought a big box with a brand new camera. The back doesn't wobble like on the last one.
And since I pretty much wasted a roll of film, they included a replacement roll in the box!
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 03:57:51 PM »
Odam! I should check mine... I have a roll I wouldnt want ruined half shot in there now. I should finish.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »
My first one was from the early stages of production and had quite a bit of slack between the back and the body. I measured close to ½mm, which is large in photon terms.

This one seems much better as the back doesn't wiggle around much when I push on it when it's closed.
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 08:22:32 PM »
Francois: I have to say that on the one afternoon that I played around with my Ondu LF I had no issues with it at all and thought it was a lovely piece of kit. Gorgeous in fact. I'm still waiting for the screws to arrive, but I guess they're super busy over at Ondu HQ. I am dead keen to try the camera out with some pack film.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
I don't blame you!
I just got a mail from their mailing list saying that they're working on some of the more exotic variants...
One of their guys busted his ankle... that's got to slow things down. I just hope they didn't get inspectors for health and safety on their backs too!

Now if I could just figure out an occasion to try the new one out...
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 08:47:27 PM »
Yep, I think we probably all got the same email. It looks like they're really busy....but y'know, it's only two screws  >:(

;D ;D ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 09:22:34 PM »
I know... it's a bit annoying.
But as of now, I pretty much learned that time must move at a different speed in Slovenia.
Between the first one, the responses and shipping of the second one, it's close to a year of waiting... that's long.
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 02:38:28 AM »
Better late then never I suppose.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 11:04:31 AM »
Sweet!
Lake Ontario I suppose?
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 01:29:13 PM »
Of course!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 09:12:25 PM »
Looks more serene than the sides of the Saint-Lawrence... or at the very least a bit better smelling  ::)
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 11:05:59 PM »
I mean, we don't knowingly dump sewage into lake Ontario. But I'm sure there is or pretty close to it

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 03:41:34 PM »
This always makes me laugh a bit. My city decided last year to build a beach front on the river...on the same island as the sewage treatment plant!
The project costs, to their surprise rose like a rocket when they discovered that the soil on which they wanted to build was heavily contaminated (well, if they didn't think of that they really must have been smoking weird stuff way break time) . So that had to haul tons of dirt, get it decontaminated and hauled back, add some sand and all. They did a big inauguration where the officials were barefoot in the sand playing with a beach ball. And ten days later the beach was closed because the water was too heavily contaminated.... Oh yeah, the beach is something like 300 feet long........
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 10:46:51 AM »
It's a crazy world we live in, right?

BTW, the latest on my long screws is this email from Elvis that I got last week:

"Dear Ed,

the extra screws never did get to me, today I sen't another request to the company that makes them, it's really
hard for them to halt everything to make a one of piece I guess so that's why it's taking a bit longer.

I'm sending this just to let you know I haven't forgotten about you!

All best,

Elvis"

So I wrote back thanking him for the update and suggesting that maybe he could send me the technical details of the screws and I could try and source them myself. I know I'll get them eventually...somehow. I may need to enlist Sandeha and Francois at some point :-)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:50:29 AM by Ed Wenn »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 02:27:32 PM »
No problem Ed.
Do you have a smaller version of these screws?
I'm thinking that if they have machinists at the place you work at, they could measure them for you (takes about a minute) so you could send the measurements. We can then see what we can come up with.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 03:25:23 PM »
I had custom bolts made for a project years ago, it wasn't difficult.  I took the spec to a local fastener company, Tacoma Screw, and they made them up pretty quick, within a few weeks.  We didn't need very many either.  I don't know if they did the work or sent out to someone else to do it.  It definatelly cost more than buying bolts off the shelf though. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »
And it probably cost more than buying a tap and die set to do the job.
Though nothing beats a nice thumb screw with knurling  ;D
Francois

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 06:06:43 PM »
I had received my 6x12 multiform and put a few rolls through it. I had some winding issues, the metal rod that protrudes down into the film spool from the wooden knob had come loose from the knob. Elvis at Ondu was quick to reply that he was sending me a brand new set of knobs and also provided me guidance and a link to a helpful youtube video on adding Baking Soda to super glue (who knew? OK, probably Francois and Sandeha and many of you  ;D), which allowed me to repair the knob myself. The camera itself is beautifully and cleverly crafted and a lot of fun to use. I'm quite pleased with it and Elvis' customer service has been excellent and greatly appreciated.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
Yep, I've used the superglue and baking soda to repair a ton of stuff, including an Instax.
What happens is that the baking soda makes the cyanoacrylate glue seize instantly.
And I don't know if you tried to make a sample of the stuff and try to break it but let me tell you, this stuff is HARD!
It's also often used by guitar repairmen for repairing a nut. But instead of the baking soda, they often use an old ivory or bone nut and shave it using a file. When they have restored the nut to size, they take a small saw and re-cut the slot for the string.

This is really a wonder recipe I learned from prop makers.
Francois