Author Topic: Inkjet printing software  (Read 1462 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Inkjet printing software
« on: August 10, 2016, 10:24:11 PM »
(I have a vague thought that I might have already started a thread like this a while back, when I first got the printer, but I don't think I can be bothered to search for it. Feel free to ignore me if I'm repeating myself.)

So I'm finally trying to learn a little more about how to make halfway decent prints with my Canon 9000 MkII. Trying out some papers, bought an ink refill kit, etc. Making a little progress in most areas, with the one glaring exception of the software. Every single printing option I have is abysmally awkward and recalcitrant. I've tried going straight through Windows, using Canon's printer software, Canon's viewer software, GIMP, and a couple other ones I can't recall. Does anyone know of a halfway decent photo printing program that doesn't require selling a kidney, gives me some logical, straightforward options for formatting and color management, and - and this is key - won't make me homicidal in a matter of minutes?

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Faintandfuzzy

Re: Inkjet printing software
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 01:49:22 AM »
Lightroom is hard to be with the input that Jeff Schewe put in with Adobe.  Short of going to RIPs which would probably not provide a visible difference, Lighteoom in high rez mode for printing is very good

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 03:01:01 AM »
Not having Lightroom at this point, can you tell me a little about how it handles printing? Does it demand the Canon plug-in (which is awful) or does it have its own functionality? How much control does it offer over the printing process? Is it at least marginally user-friendly?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 05:45:35 AM »
and this is key - won't make me homicidal in a matter of minutes?

I'll admit that I haven't known you for very long, but I don't think I can name any piece of software written after 1985 that would fulfill this criterion ;D

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 08:44:16 AM »
I've always used VueScan over all the various scanner software available on the market.  Short learning curve and excellent results that are exhibit quality.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 02:46:50 PM »
I must admit that printer color management is not all its cracked up to be.
Overly complicated and in my opinion quite wasteful.
Usually, you have to disable color management in the printer driver. Download the ICC profile for the paper you plan on using and install it by hand. Set the program like Photoshop to handle the color management chores, assign the printer the proper profile...................... Painful isn't it?

One of the tricks of the early days was to print in small on cut down pieces of the paper, do the proper adjustments and blow it up when satisfied.

I wonder why there are no open source rips nowadays. That would make things so easy.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
and this is key - won't make me homicidal in a matter of minutes?

I'll admit that I haven't known you for very long, but I don't think I can name any piece of software written after 1985 that would fulfill this criterion ;D

Hey, it used to take seconds. Minutes is an improvement - it says so on my release papers.  :P

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 02:50:11 PM »
I must admit that printer color management is not all its cracked up to be.
Overly complicated and in my opinion quite wasteful.
Usually, you have to disable color management in the printer driver. Download the ICC profile for the paper you plan on using and install it by hand. Set the program like Photoshop to handle the color management chores, assign the printer the proper profile...................... Painful isn't it?

One of the tricks of the early days was to print in small on cut down pieces of the paper, do the proper adjustments and blow it up when satisfied.

I wonder why there are no open source rips nowadays. That would make things so easy.

Yeah, I figured an open source RIP would be out there somewhere, but I haven't found one. The paid options are insanely expensive.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-